You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Team/Cup

old skool tom

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Can I ask our two youth correspondents how the 4 lads ( Hoever, Larouci, Van Den Berg, Elliott ) talked of as possible first-team fill-ins have been showing up in the early weeks of the season ?

Hoever is the most likely to make a first team squad for me, but all 4 lads have shown their inexperience in the early stages of the season.

Sepp & Harvey have had their moments, but both are still finding their feet at the club. Van den Berg needs more time to adjust to the physical side of the game here, while Elliott just needs to play more, though he is striking up a decent understanding with Curtis Jones.

Larouci has had a couple of niggles early doors and the step from 18s to 23s has seen him exposed a little more defensively.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I like Larouci, but he's not ready yet defensively, as Dynamite says. Also he got kicked off the field at Napoli midweek.

Elliott is years away from being ready to contribute, I expect he'll be on the bench against Franchise FC on Wednesday, which is a tribute to the skills of his agent.

Hoever looks okay when we're in possession and had probably his best game for us at Napoli, in a back five - not really relevant in a first-team context, though.

I've found van den Berg under-whelming so far, although he may look better next to a more senior partner.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Thanks gents , will be interesting to see how they develop, but does make the posters who were insisting we should be selling Lovren as these lads could cover seem like they were expecting a bit too much from them.

A good portion of the time it's hard to really judge young players until they are thrown into the deep end. Some players need it to bring the best out of them. Being surrounded by better players can only be a good thing.

Been interesting to see that young Leighton Clarkson has been up training with the first team for the past fortnight or so. Usually lads come up from the Academy for a week at a time, but Leighton is having an extended run. He and Jake Cain have looked really promising at the under 18 level so far this season and all of last.

Under-18s vs. Middlesborough, 12.30, LFCTV :

Ojrzynski: Walls, Beck, Savage, Koumetio, Cain, Hill, Brookwell, Norris, Stewart, O'Rourke.

Subs : Winterbottom, Quansah, Corness, Morton, Bradley.

Looks like 4-4-fucking-2

Yeah, I'm still sticking with "I was told O'Rourke wasn't fit to go away for the Napoli game".

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, alles ist gut said:

Under-18s vs. Middlesborough, 12.30, LFCTV :

Ojrzynski: Wall, Beck, Savage, Koumetio, Cain, Hill, Brookwell, Norris, Stewart, O'Rourke.

Subs : Winterbottom, Quansah, Corness, Morton, Bradley.

Yeah, I'm still sticking with "I was told O'Rourke wasn't fit to go away for the Napoli game".

Ha!

Looking forward to seeing the young keeper. He's been in and around the first team training set up since he came in.

Also, Niall Brookwell is worth keeping an eye on too. Really like what I've seen of him. Just a pity it's been in the odd game here and there since the start of last season. The lad hasn't had a good run in the side as he's always seemed to pick up little injuries.

Interesting that there's no Clarkson today. One for the League Cup squad against MK perhaps?

The other possibility is that Clarkson is being held back to play in the Checkatrade in place of Elliott. I like Brookwell too, I'm glad that the powers-that-be have stopped their attempts to make him the skinniest central defender in England, and I've always been in favour of having at least one midfielder tall enough to challenge for opposition goal kicks.

4 minutes ago, alles ist gut said:

The other possibility is that Clarkson is being held back to play in the Checkatrade in place of Elliott. I like Brookwell too, I'm glad that the powers-that-be have stopped their attempts to make him the skinniest central defender in England, and I've always been in favour of having at least one midfielder tall enough to challenge for opposition goal kicks.

Possibly. Perhaps with Clarkson training with the first team for the past couple of weeks I'm getting a little ahead of myself.