You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Team/Cup

old skool tom

Full time - Liverpool 2 Wolves 1

A quality strike from Cain and a striker's finish from Duncan was enough to get us the 3 points today. 

Wasn't our best performance of the season, but the attitude and work rate is never in question.

Wolves were a tricky side to break down and were more direct in the second half looking to get the ball forward early to a couple of big lads they had up top.

Curtis Jones scored a superb 86th-minute winner as Liverpool U23s came from two goals down to beat Chelsea 3-2 on Saturday, writes Glenn Price.

Goals from Ben Woodburn and Abdi Sharif drew the young Reds level after Conor Gallagher's two first-half finishes had put the visitors 2-0 up at the Academy.

And a brilliant effort from Jones then secured all three points in dramatic fashion.

Neil Critchley's side were caught off guard and fell behind inside three minutes, with Gallagher tapping in Tariq Lamptey's cross from the right.

Caoimhin Kelleher then saved twice - from Tariq Uwakwe and Joseph Colley - to stop Chelsea from adding to their lead in the ninth minute.

The dominance from the visitors continued. The Blues continued to find joy down Liverpool's left side and doubled their advantage with 28 minutes on the clock when Gallagher was on hand again to convert Lamptey's pass from the flank.

But the hosts' response to the second blow was positive, and they received a lifeline in the 40th minute when Jones was fouled inside the box by Colley.

Woodburn took responsibility from the resulting spot-kick, sending Karlo Ziger the wrong way to give Liverpool hope at half-time.

Liverpool continued to carry the momentum after the interval and earned their deserved equaliser five minutes into the second half.

After good hold-up play from Glen McAuley, Woodburn peeled off to the right and then found Sharif arriving at the back post for his first goal at U23 level.

Jack Bearne, the match-winner in the U18s' win at Everton last weekend, then came on to make his U23s debut and had an instant impact, providing the assist for Jones' winner.

Jones received possession from Bearne, turning and then beating numerous Chelsea players before unleashing a thumping effort beyond Ziger to complete the turnaround.

Liverpool U23s: Kelleher, Whelan, Gallacher, Hoever (Masterson, 79), Johnston, Coyle, Woodburn, Sharif, McAuley, Lewis (Bearne, 79), Jones.

Unused substitutes: George, Juanma.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/344682-match-report-liverpool-u23s-chelsea

46 minutes ago, cinco veces said:

This quote bothered me a little bit or maybe I am reading too much into it - visitors continued to find joy on Liverpool's left hand side.

Isn't that the position Adam Lewis is playing? Didn't he play well in this match? 

3 hours ago, Bad Red Bull said:

This quote bothered me a little bit or maybe I am reading too much into it - visitors continued to find joy on Liverpool's left hand side.

Isn't that the position Adam Lewis is playing? Didn't he play well in this match? 

Lewis was playing further forward today with Tony Gallacher playing at left back.

That said, Adam Lewis is not a viable option at left back for me as he's not good enough defensively.

The lad would give it his all, but he makes Moreno look like Maldini when it comes to defending. He's massively overrated in that aspect of his game in my opinion. Still, he's young and will hopefully improve.

• Upvote 2

Perhaps not the most important news of the day, but...

Leicester Under-23s 0 Liverpool Under-23s 6 (Brewster 6, Woodburn 17 (pen.), Jones 27, Camacho 50, 56, 81).

Team reportedly: George; Gomez (Masterson 60), Lewis, Hoever, Johnston, Coyle, Jones, Camacho, Oxlade-Chamberlain (Christie-Davies 46), Woodburn, Brewster (Gallacher 74).

More details later.

• Upvote 2

All three are strong finishers, Duncan's an out and out goalscorer, Glatzel has a better picture of what's going on around him and always strikes me as a creative player as well.  Brewster done it at a higher level though, all highlight videos show you off balance defenders, either jumping in or on their heels.  Brewster's faced better defenders and still scored a hatful.

No one know who will step up long term though, they're all a long way from that.  Woodburn's just six months older than Brewster and is still the best of the lot for me as an all-round player.  The kid just needs a clear role.  The midfield experiment didn't work out.

All of them look talented enough to persevere with though, like Wilson they need patience.

Yeah, Glatzel has had an extra year at the U18 level, Brewster may well have been banging in as many goals if he'd been with the U18s last season. Brewster also has that pace which Glatzel probably doesn't, which may give an advantage in terms of breaking into 1st team football at an earlier age. They'd probably compliment each other quite well in the same team

Woodburn is the one though. David Silva type role for me