You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

No excuses?

Antynwa

I always feel like we are setting ourselves up for a big fall though, thinking of the league and end up failing to get fourth and the bitters & mancs having a joint open top bus parade to celebrate us not getting in there, take nothing for granted with Liverpool, we are always better as the underdogs and i hope we stay the underdogs and maybe 'run through the horses legs' without anyone really noticing. If at the weekend we win and the top 3 slip up, that is more pressure on us to keep it up, i'd rather we gradually sneaked up and then won it on the last day.

I've heard they are going to paint that bus green and call it "Not Liverpool".

Can't see how you can finish higher than in the top 4, but shur we'll fire away anyway.

I think there is every chance of us doing just that.

I fancy Arsenal to drop in 4th - their game schedule, in March and April in particular, isn't exactly walk in the park. There is no way they'd win all their games in that period.

I am counting on the famous Arsenal collapse. I thought we'd nail them yesterday only for Bayern to finish them off in the CL, but no matter, it will come eventually.

If Spurs keep winning (they have piss-easy schedule - at least on paper), they have a chance of overtaking Arsenal as well (that'd be something, wouldn't it - Arsenal in the Europa league!).

The hard part, at least for us anyway, is to keep winning our games. if we do that, we'll be in the CL next season.

The point is no cup games left means we can concentrate on doing as well as possible in the league which hopefully means CL football next season, which opens up a whole new world for us.

I don't normally subscribe to the "concentrate on the league" rationale for cup exits, but this time it is true.It also raises a fresh set of challenges.

The squad is well short of returning to being a Euro force, and unless we reinvest, and wisely, a lengthy campaign is far from guaranteed. And it is not just about next year in Europe. Beyond that, Man U are likely to make a much better fist of their season next year, so we will have to spend big just to stand still, and Brendan will need to get it right. Thankfully that is a positive problem, but if we qualify for the CL, as seems likley, that season is likely to define Brendan's future.

7 or 8 more wins will most definitely guarantee CL next season, 9 or 10 possibly the title. 

A big ask with our small squad, but keep everyone fit and hope players coming back from injury can provide a big contribution and who fucking knows. If we go on a run of 3 or 4 wins I'll start dreaming of the title, but at the moment, 1 game at a time. 

Top 4 and id be ridiculously happy with our season. But yeah, considering we only have the league to go for now we obviousy should aim higher.

But we're still a bit of an enigma, we can go out and play our supposed rivals off the park, and in the next game we loose to Hull or some shit. Just hope the players take advantage of this chance they have now, If we go in to every game with the attitudes shown against Everton and Arsenal, then we'll beat whoever is on the other side in this league.

Isn't that true of all the top teams at the moment? they can play devastating football, then are found wanting against a far poorer team.

I think if Liverpool go all out for the league (which is effectively the only option now), they'll do better than 4th.

At some point Liverpool will take points from the other top teams, and I think you stand a very realistic chance of beating City - due to the way Liverpool and City play.

United away is a tough one to call.

Chelsea at home will be tougher than City at home (due to Chelsea's ability to stifle a game better than City can).

Spurs at home should be a win for you.

But still, there's still a lot of rivals due to play each other and thus spread the points.

You could well go on to win it... but I think 2nd or 3rd is a VERY strong possibility.

Injuries are probably your single biggest threat.

I always feel like we are setting ourselves up for a big fall though, thinking of the league and end up failing to get fourth and the bitters & mancs having a joint open top bus parade to celebrate us not getting in there, take nothing for granted with Liverpool, we are always better as the underdogs and i hope we stay the underdogs and maybe 'run through the horses legs' without anyone really noticing. If at the weekend we win and the top 3 slip up, that is more pressure on us to keep it up, i'd rather we gradually sneaked up and then won it on the last day.

This

And also these 'mind games' bickering between Mourinho, pelligrini & Wenger is great. The longer they go on and Brendon stays out of it the better for us.

• Upvote 1

If we make the CL , at least, I wouldn't of thought our present outfit would be capable of making our presence felt without attracting some major talent , though it ought to be a spring board to do just that. 2005 was won through hard graft alongside some great players such as ham man , Alonso etc and I don't think we have that blend right now with the likes of the disinterested Johnson and a few on loan players for the most part in defence , but here's hoping for a rosier than red future and the belief that it just could be so.

• Downvote 1

If we make the CL , at least, I wouldn't of thought our present outfit would be capable of making our presence felt without attracting some major talent , though it ought to be a spring board to do just that. 2005 was won through hard graft alongside some great players such as ham man , Alonso etc and I don't think we have that blend right now with the likes of the disinterested Johnson and a few on loan players for the most part in defence , but here's hoping for a rosier than red future and the belief that it just could be so.

Balls.

At the start of the season I ( and probably most on here) would have snatched fourth place if it had been offered.

Realistically I would have expected City, Chelsea and Utd to be setting the pace with Arsenal and Spurs behind them. Utd were champions, City and Chelsea had reinforced already good squads and Spurs had invested heavily while we had more or less stood still. I even expected the Blueshite to give a good account of themselves. So yes, I would have gladly taken fourth at the start.

But.

Utd have been Moyesed, Spurs new signings have not delivered, City have been erratic while Chelsea and Arsenal have not delivered to the standards I expected. And we got off to a flyer.

Rodgers appears to be improving the squad from within to such an extent that we are now a more potent attacking force than any of our rivals with the exception of City.

Sadly, we are out of both cups now so why not use it to our advantage? Why not be ambitious and think that we can do better than fourth? I think Arsenal look precarious and could easily come back to us. But Spurs are a massive danger - they have the best away record in the PL (29 points out of 39) so their visit to Anfield will be a massive test. Everyone else we play will be fighting for something so I don't see any "easy" games rather - as someone above stated - 12 cup finals.

IMO we should be anbitious and we should believe - because we can do it. We seem to have become Brendan Rodgers Football Circus complete with a white knuckle roller coaster ride. And I'm loving it.

At the start of the season I ( and probably most on here) would have snatched fourth place if it had been offered.

Realistically I would have expected City, Chelsea and Utd to be setting the pace with Arsenal and Spurs behind them. Utd were champions, City and Chelsea had reinforced already good squads and Spurs had invested heavily while we had more or less stood still. I even expected the Blueshite to give a good account of themselves. So yes, I would have gladly taken fourth at the start.

But.

Utd have been Moyesed, Spurs new signings have not delivered, City have been erratic while Chelsea and Arsenal have not delivered to the standards I expected. And we got off to a flyer.

Rodgers appears to be improving the squad from within to such an extent that we are now a more potent attacking force than any of our rivals with the exception of City.

Sadly, we are out of both cups now so why not use it to our advantage? Why not be ambitious and think that we can do better than fourth? I think Arsenal look precarious and could easily come back to us. But Spurs are a massive danger - they have the best away record in the PL (29 points out of 39) so their visit to Anfield will be a massive test. Everyone else we play will be fighting for something so I don't see any "easy" games rather - as someone above stated - 12 cup finals.

IMO we should be anbitious and we should believe - because we can do it. We seem to have become Brendan Rodgers Football Circus complete with a white knuckle roller coaster ride. And I'm loving it.