You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Peaky Blinders

Elite

I switched it off half way through the first episode, so I may be wrong but will offer my thoughts anyway -

I thought it was a poor effort at creating a British Boardwalk Empire, and stank of capitalizing on the recent surge in popularity for period stuff, without the due care needed to make sure it was actually good quality TV.

I switched it off half way through the first episode, so I may be wrong but will offer my thoughts anyway -

I thought it was a poor effort at creating a British Boardwalk Empire, and stank of capitalizing on the recent surge in popularity for period stuff, without the due care needed to make sure it was actually good quality TV.

Most British shows these days are an attempt to rip off something American but are always hopelessly inferior. Like that White Queen bollocks, basically our take on Game of Thrones, with people from the 1600s walking around with white teeth and Tony and Guy hair saying stuff like: "thou best watch who thou is talking to or I'll get medieval on thou ass."

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Some harsh comments on this thread. Good show Peaky Blinders, especially series 2. Anyway:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/peaky-blinders-season-3-paddy-considine-confirmed-to-play-a-priest-and-not-a-nice-one-a6903626.html

Peaky Blinders season 3: Paddy Considine confirmed to play a priest, and not a nice one

paddy-considine-peaky-blinders.jpg

While it has largely been police and gangs that have tripped up Tommy Shelby's plans in past seasons of Peaky Blinders, it seems the new series will see him face a new corrupt organisation: the Church.

We already knew that Paddy Considine had joined the cast as 'the representative of a force beyond anything Tommy has previously encountered', but now we have more concrete character info.

"He plays a priest - not a nice person," creator Steven Knight told Crime Scene magazine in a new interview. "Paddy Considine is one of our best actors, so to have him, Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy is fantastic."

Knight previously revealed that the new season would open on Tommy's wedding day, but things are not as rosy as they seem.

"This series is an exploration of how Tommy has got what he wants before the first episode," he added. "He’s stepped up, he’s got money, and we find out what the consequence of that is - and it’s certainly not peace and contentment."

If Peaky Blinders sees people struggling to reconcile the fact that what they believe will bring them the Good Life doesn't always actually result in happiness, it's for good reason.

"These stories were told to me when I was a kid, by people who remembered things happening when they were a kid. When you’re 10 years old, everything looks more glamorous," he explained to the magazine.

"It all came about because my parents both worked for illegal bookmakers when they were kids – children were used to take the bets because they wouldn’t be arrested. So I heard these stories about my dad’s uncles, who were known as the Peaky Blinders."

Filming on the third season has wrapped now, and we could get the first episode as soon as April.

• Upvote 1

**** Spoilers in this one if you haven't watched it ***

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/peaky-blinders-season-3-what-to-expect-as-the-shelbys-go-international-a6834881.html

Peaky Blinders season 3: What to expect as the Shelbys go ‘international’

Filming on Peaky Blinders season 3 has nearly wrapped and we recently learned that a potential April premiere is being eyed.

With Tommy and the gang set to return in a matter of weeks, let’s take a look back at where things were left at the end of season 2 and the questions that still need answering in 3.

The Peaky Blinders expand abroad

p028p5p8.jpg

Season 3 is billed as seeing Tommy ‘pulled into the glamorous and dangerous world of international intrigue in 1920s Britain, putting his entire organization and family at risk, and forcing him to question everything about his own ambitions and desires.’

In season 2 we learned that the Peaky Blinders had started shipping booze to Halifax, Nova Scotia in order to profit from US prohibition. This is sure to be something authorities there are keen to stamp out, so perhaps there will be a new character (mostly) on the right side of the law to fill the Major Campbell-shaped hole?

According to Deadline, ‘refugees from a foreign conflict who desperately need Tommy’s help’ will also feature, possibly a reference to the Russian refugee crisis of the 1920s.

Tommy’s wedding

grace.jpg

With the final line of s3, Tommy announced he would be getting married.

Creator Steven Knight has resolved the question of whether his wedding would be with Grace or May, and said this matter will get resolved in the opening scene of the new season.

Tommy promised both women he would meet up with them before he was kidnapped, and the pair met in a key scene that outlined the dilemma as a decision between business and love. Pragmatic though Tommy is, you have to believe he will choose Grace - bar some act of God - especially given she is pregnant with his child.

Sabini will be spitting blood

7023106-low-e1412941189226.jpg

Tommy embarrassed the Italian gang leader and stole his grip on the races in one fell swoop at Epsom, and tSabini will certainly be baying for blood. He might find himself framed for murdering the field marshal, but you’d expect him to be able to cause problems even from prison.

The Shelbys’ relationship with Alfie Solomons and the jews (Tom Hardy, who is definitely back for s3) is very shaky meanwhile. They may have teamed up to take down Sabini, but there’s no love lost between Tommy and Alfie, and Arthur would surely supernova if left in the same room as him following that trap in s2.

Paddy Considine has joined the cast as ‘the representative of a force beyond anything Tommy has previously encountered’ meanwhile, which could be the next gang up the ladder that the Blinders take on.

The rise of Michael

tumblr_nf8wm4XH2q1so0ng9o1_1280.jpg

For Michael, season 2 was all about him establishing himself as a Shelby and proving that he wanted to be a part of the family business and all the horrors that come with it.

He should now come into his own, providing Tommy with a much-needed cool-headed approach to things. Speaking of which…

Can Arthur hold it together?

arthur-cocaine.png

Combatting Arthur’s depression with cocaine was a decision I found hard to swallow last season given how smart Tommy is, but I guess you have to put it down to the scant knowledge of the drug’s effects at the time.

Arthur is clearly going off the rails and not only using “Tokyo” on special occasions, and while a rabid pit bull might be of use to Tommy, he will come unstuck when his brother inevitably pummels someone he shouldn’t while in a coked-up fury.

A plot line for our Ada

tt24425602.jpg

Ada basically sat out of season 2, following a similar trajectory to Meadow in The Sopranos - moving away from the criminality, indulging in the culture and education of the big city and beginning to look down on the family business.

It would be nice to see her reintroduced in s3, she is bold, smart and could be pivotal in making the Shelbys legitimate, or at least making them appear so.

How will Polly get away with murder?

dress.png

Distracted though everyone was by the death of the field marshal, Polly stabbing Major Campbell to death was pretty huge and surely won’t just be forgotten about.

Will she have to go into hiding, potentially taking a backseat role this series, or will they engineer it so someone else takes the fall?

Churchill

Peaky-Blinders-1.jpg

Winston Churchill was Secretary of State in season 1 and 2, but, if the show follows the timeline of history, he will become Chancellor of the Exchequer in the 20s. Will this affect how “useful” Tommy is to him in the future?

Outside influences
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-26%20at%2015.35.

There are of course are plenty of known unknowns and unknown unknowns in s3 too.

We’ve time and time again seen global events, developments and culture shifts affect the Peaky Blinders and there is plenty for Knight to draw on in the 20s.

Prohibition in the US has already been hinted at, but there’s also the spread of communism, fascist backlash, the Wall Street Crash and the creation of conditions in Germany that will eventually lead to the Nazi party (Knight has previously expressed a “very rough” plan to end the show “when the first air raid siren sounds at the start of the Second World War”, a fitting finish).

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest Pistonbroke

Well that was rather good. Looks like we'll be in for more action in this series which they set up nicely with that opening episode. Pity I can't binge watch it.