You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: Rodgers hails international class Flanagan

tlw content

Brendan Rodgers has backed 'outstanding' Jon Flanagan as a potential inclusion in England's World Cup squad and hailed the youngster's tactical awareness.

With Liverpool and England's current first choice right back Glen Johnson sidelined, 21 year old Flanagan has made the most of his opportunity, starting the last three games in his natural position having previously impressed on the opposite flank before a hamstring injury sustained over the festive period interrupted his progress.

Rodgers has been delighted with what he's seen from the Academy graduate who grew up in the shadow of the Kop. “If you look at young Jon Flanagan, coming into the team at the level he’s playing at -- and the quality he’s playing at, especially in big games -- he’s been outstanding” said the Reds' boss.

When asked if Flanagan has England potential, Rodgers said: “Yes. And I think he’s shown it. It [the World Cup] might come too soon for him this year but there’s absolutely no question he’s got all the qualities to play in that position.

“Obviously, Glen Johnson’s in there, and Kyle Walker’s been a regular there. But Roy will know as well as anyone the pressures of representing a club such as Liverpool.

“You’ve got a young player such as Jon Flanagan, at 21 years of age, performing in the way that he has done. And the key for Jon is consistency. The key for Jon is making sure he doesn’t believe he’s cracked it, which I think he’s probably learned from the last time he was in and then out of the team, through injury, or whatever."

Flanagan is known for his tough tackling and enthusiasm, but Rodgers insists there's far more to the youngster's game than that, citing the Arsenal game at the weekend as evidence of his growing tactical maturity. “He’s now taken his opportunity, and you see that hunger. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how tactically good he is. He played against Santi Cazorla last weekend, a player who jumps inside. We asked Jon to make sure he went in at the right moments. If he can do that here in these types of games, he can do it at international level, for sure.”

With Glen Johnson now back in training and close to a return, should Flanagan retain his place in the side?

Click here to view the article

Rodgers obviously rates Johnson, I think his guarded comments about Flanagan show that. He didn't say out and out that Flanagan is our first choice right back, and he even pointed out that Johnson is ahead of him for England, which would suggest that he is also ahead of him at club level.

I think the main point is that Johnson only gets one chance to fuck up now, whereas he used to enjoy weeks of shit performances because we just didn't have the ability to swap him out. Flanagan is right up his arse and will be straight in the team if Johnson doesn't bring his A-game from now on. It's a great position for the club to be in.

I also get the feeling that we might see more of Johnson at Anfield, and more of Flanagan in away games.

The most likely scenario is Cissokho dropping out, but then the question is who moves over to the left?  Flanno did well there recently but Johnson has played there in the past and looked good.

Personally I'd leave Flanno where he is and if Johnson comes back in, he goes to left back.

Can't say I've seen much of Spurs, or Kyle Walker this season, but if we're going on form, at the very least he deserves a go in any upcoming friendlies.

I also think Johnson is a better LB than RB so when he's back, stick him there until Enrique is back. Flano is first choice though.

if he was fast and couldn't defend (i.e if he was Kyle Walker) he'd be a dead cert for England's next squad

in some ways I'd like him to be in as I like our players to get the recognition they deserve but on the other hand I hate our players getting injured whilst in action for someone else and I don't want him contaminated by Hodgson

• 1 month later...

The most likely scenario is Cissokho dropping out, but then the question is who moves over to the left?  Flanno did well there recently but Johnson has played there in the past and looked good.

Personally I'd leave Flanno where he is and if Johnson comes back in, he goes to left back.

Agree with you on Cissokho

Thought Flanno looked a better stand in LB than Johnson to be fair.  I think Rodgers will leave him there now. What happens when Enrique is back and fit is the question

I think Flanno might have to give way for a while at that point