You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guitar enthusiasts.

withnail71

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZgZJrJmdk

Julian Bream playing a very difficult technical piece, Sevilla (I posted this in another thread when I heard Jairzinho was moving there!)

Anyway, to my mind Bream is a much better guitarist than John Williams. The latter is technically proficient and of course excellent, but Bream has all that plus much more feeling. A true British musical great of the last hundred years, getting well on in years now...

Yes out of the two Bream had much more feel.

• 3 months later...

Was looking up the difference between flangers and phasers and found this video. Think some of the stuff he's doing sounds awesome. Not sure how he's hitting the pedals so easily with those slippers though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw8uCKHi3z0

Enjoyed that cheers. I've got a phaser and flanger on my pedal board. Sacking the flanger off for a bit though as I've just got an electro harmonix nano holy grail reverb pedal ... WOW! It's given me the big full sound I've always wanted. Running my DD3 delay into in and it's smoking! #nearlyjizzedmekecks

Enjoyed that cheers. I've got a phaser and flanger on my pedal board. Sacking the flanger off for a bit though as I've just got an electro harmonix nano holy grail reverb pedal ... WOW! It's given me the big full sound I've always wanted. Running my DD3 delay into in and it's smoking! #nearlyjizzedmekecks

Glad you liked the video, have got to admit that I'm a bit clueless with pedals/effects though (which is why I was searching for the difference between phasers and flangers.) Have had some in the past including a multi-effects pedal and once borrowed one of these from a friend because I found out that The Melvins used one too, was probably one of the best I've tried. I take the lazy route of plugging into the laptop now though and using an amp program (Rakarrack.) If I have the cash to spare in the future might get a Behringer super fuzz pedal to see what they're like. Mainly because it's supposed to have a good grunge sound, is cheap, and it has good reviews on amazon.

Glad you liked the video, have got to admit that I'm a bit clueless with pedals/effects though (which is why I was searching for the difference between phasers and flangers.) Have had some in the past including a multi-effects pedal and once borrowed one of these from a friend because I found out that The Melvins used one too, was probably one of the best I've tried. I take the lazy route of plugging into the laptop now though and using an amp program (Rakarrack.) If I have the cash to spare in the future might get a Behringer super fuzz pedal to see what they're like. Mainly because it's supposed to have a good grunge sound, is cheap, and it has good reviews on amazon.

Chorus is a sound like Purple Rain by Prince. Flanger is like Interzone by Joy Division (and most of their songs for that matter). Phaser is like Eruption by Van Halen. 

• Upvote 2

Chorus is a sound like Purple Rain by Prince. Flanger is like Interzone by Joy Division (and most of their songs for that matter). Phaser is like Eruption by Van Halen. 

Am fine with chorus, if I'm making any music it's the effect I use most often. The flanger/phaser thing is something that I'm getting closer to sussing but they're not two sounds that I can really explain in words very well. Thanks for that though, will listen to those two songs and keep that in mind.

Just my personal opinion here but I generally think that chorus on a guitar sounds absolutely honking.

It's mainly a habit for me with instruments when making tunes in Linux, because it adds power to the sound well in LMMS. On guitar though if there's other effects / amp settings that work well I can do without it. It's definitely not the most important thing I look for with guitar, always go for the right type of distortion or related effect first.

• Upvote 1

How do people line their effects pedals?

I've got my guitar going into my wah > DD3 delay > phaser > flange > fuzz > reverb.

Was thinking of trying the delay as the last pedal and the fuzz next to my wah. Leaving the flange and phase in the middle of my set up.

Chorus, flangers and especially fuzz pedals are perfect for really shit players to hide behind.  Even I can sound good behind a load of overdriven fuzz.

As someone who is often pretty shit at playing guitar, agreed. Even if I could play perfectly though I'd still use them fairly often because I think they sound great with the right music.

I've got my guitar going into my wah > DD3 delay > phaser > flange > fuzz > reverb.

Was thinking of trying the delay as the last pedal and the fuzz next to my wah. Leaving the flange and phase in the middle of my set up.

I'm purist, in a blues band.

No pedals. Just my Gibson Les Paul going into My Vox valve head and cabinet ( with a single 12" Celestion V type speaker.)

I occasionally allow myself the luxury of reverb ala Greeny.

It's all about the fingers and pick [emoji106]

No pedals. Just my Gibson Les Paul going into My Vox valve head and cabinet ( with a single 12" Celestion V type speaker.)

Wow sounds awesome man. Nice work!

Same here ole pal,Fender blues junior,miked up and a 335,does the job well.I remember playing on the same bill as Greeny back in the old days.Did the north bucks rock festival on his comeback,poor fucker hardly new where he was.An ole mate of mine Mick Abrahams,who knew him well back then,shook his hand,and the ole boy did'nt know him.Hell of a shame,a great player.

Same here ole pal,Fender blues junior,miked up and a 335,does the job well.I remember playing on the same bill as Greeny back in the old days.Did the north bucks rock festival on his comeback,poor fucker hardly new where he was.An ole mate of mine Mick Abrahams,who knew him well back then,shook his hand,and the ole boy did'nt know him.Hell of a shame,a great player.

Mick Abrahams of Jethro Tull?

LEGEND.

Yeah poor Peter.

He has improved mentally but doesn't play anymore on stage: here's a couple of recent pics:

53bf31529efabfcffc4e837a6d965f16.jpg

62e2c6d8b63f997f31e7999433ada9e7.jpg

• Upvote 1

Which fuzz?