You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guitar enthusiasts.

withnail71

11 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I hate those flying V things,ugly as sin and associated with the worst type of music I can think of. Although there are some good heavy rock songs as there are rap songs I suppose. If you have a Dean version of the flying V your resale price has just risen considerably in the last few weeks.

Aye, Hendrix was shite right enough.

Screenshot_20220813-100544_Google.jpg

13 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Not a fan of Clapton either to be honest. His association with The Beatles and Cream guarantees his legacy anyway.

His 60’s contributions to the Bluesbreakers and working with the likes of Aretha and Delaney & Bonnie also help. The problem with his work is that he’s done nothing of note since ‘74 (other than the Unplugged gig) 

I'm after a mid-price electro-acoustic to give me the best sound from my cack-handed strumming for the money.  I don't want to spend more than a grand.  I had a go at those fender acoustasonics, but the non-amplified sound is pish, and the amplified sound just too artificial.  Plus my missus, who will play the thing as well, just didn't like them.  She has a 30 year old Ovation that still plays great, but is getting a little ropey.  I have a 20 year old Yamaha electro-acoustic which is just not nice to play.  Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

I'm after a mid-price electro-acoustic to give me the best sound from my cack-handed strumming for the money.  I don't want to spend more than a grand.  I had a go at those fender acoustasonics, but the non-amplified sound is pish, and the amplified sound just too artificial.  Plus my missus, who will play the thing as well, just didn't like them.  She has a 30 year old Ovation that still plays great, but is getting a little ropey.  I have a 20 year old Yamaha electro-acoustic which is just not nice to play.  Any suggestions?

Check out the Martin X series.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Aye.

Is it possible to separate the art from the artist? 

There's a good documentary on Clapton from a few years ago. In fairness, he does admit that he was a cunt to say that, because he was a complete cunt in every way when he was an alcoholic. 

Mind you, his recent anti-vax horseshit is all his own.

4 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

There's a good documentary on Clapton from a few years ago. In fairness, he does admit that he was a cunt to say that, because he was a complete cunt in every way when he was an alcoholic. 

Mind you, his recent anti-vax horseshit is all his own.

12 Bars? My arl fella had his autobiography in the 90’s and he was my guitar hero growing up. I used to read everything about him. And he has, on more than one occasion held his hands up and apologised for his disgusting rant, it’s only the fact that people this day and age don’t allow people to make mistakes 40 odd years.

There’s a bucket load of “reasons” that got him to where he was at that point in his life (all laid out in 12 Bars), doesn’t excuse what he said, but does give some context to his mental state at that time. 

His biggest crime used to be Wonderful Tonight, (bar his alcoholic years) but now it’s that tune he did with Van Morrison. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/08/2022 at 04:38, nimrod said:

Chris, Sam Ash? I got one of my guitars from them, was it from the Richmond, Virginia store. there's another huge music store almost next door. I went with my brother in law who had some sort of gift voucher to spend, he got a set of strings.
I was overwhelmed by the wall to wall. floor to ceiling display of instruments and had to have one.

Sorry, I missed this initially. This was in Coral Springs, FL. Service was great in there. They hand you a cable with the guitar and just say "feel free to plug into any amp." 

7 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Few things: 

1) The precision to go that whole song and not only nail, but remember every note is unreal

2) Takes some doing to elevate Knopfler 

3) In France she would be called La Renard and would be hunted with only her cunning to protect her.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Chris said:

Few things: 

1) The precision to go that whole song and not only nail, but remember every note is unreal

2) Takes some doing to elevate Knopfler 

3) In France she would be called La Renard and would be hunted with only her cunning to protect her.

she's good, but every pub band has a guitarist that can nail this (the song I mean) without too much trouble.

5 minutes ago, stringvest said:

she's good, but every pub band has a guitarist that can nail this (the song I mean) without too much trouble.

More a reflection on my own inability to remember anything more than a single riff or solo. 

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

She is lovely, playing it in an open tuning. Your pub has no match for this lady, fella.

you need to get out more mate, I've been a few hoary old pub bands where the guitarists would knock this out - all in open tuning, and at gig speed. You'll hear it everywhere.  This song is part of the reason I fucked those pub bands off.

6 minutes ago, stringvest said:

you need to get out more mate, I've been a few hoary old pub bands where the guitarists would knock this out - all in open tuning, and at gig speed. You'll hear it everywhere.  This song is part of the reason I fucked those pub bands off.

You need to go to some different pubs. Not heard anyone need this for years.

As I said - she is more entertaining than any of the ones you have knocked off.

• Upvote 1

The whole YouTube/Instagram cover version video thing is becoming incredibly tiring.

It was better 20/30 years ago when these posers were playing at shit parties & couldn't get a gig until they'd done something creative.