You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guitar enthusiasts.

withnail71

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

If I was a guitarist,I'd go for the black.

Not a fan of black guitars on the whole. There are a few classics like David Gilmour strat, Les Paul Black beauty and BB Kings signiture. Prefer flamed roped myself

Has anyone played the Fender Tele Modern Player Plus? Any feelings on it? 

I like the idea of the HSS configuration and the options it possibly gives, but I've no idea what that will mean in reality. 

I'm going to look at one later this evening, it's similar to this one except it has a rosewood fretboard apparently. 

https://shop.fender.com/en-IE/electric-guitars/telecaster/modern-player-telecaster-plus/0241102569.html?rl=en_US

12 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Has anyone played the Fender Tele Modern Player Plus? Any feelings on it? 

I like the idea of the HSS configuration and the options it possibly gives, but I've no idea what that will mean in reality. 

I'm going to look at one later this evening, it's similar to this one except it has a rosewood fretboard apparently. 

https://shop.fender.com/en-IE/electric-guitars/telecaster/modern-player-telecaster-plus/0241102569.html?rl=en_US

Urgh Zonko, I hate to tell you this mate, but a tele aint a tele unless it's got am ashtray bridge and a maple neck and board. They bring the spankiness which telecasters are famed for.

George Harrison and his rosewood board... [shudders]

Have a look at a Baja tele. Phenomenal vfm.

17 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

fretboard on a maple neckHas anyone played the Fender Tele Modern Player Plus? Any feelings on it? 

Rosewood still being used?

I just bought the Noir Redline Tele, with Pau Ferro fretboard on a maple neck, replacing the Rosewood fretboard due to sustainability issues.

Telecasters are my favourite guitars, just love their rawness and that spankiness.

I have 2, a Fender Baja in classic BSB finish, completely stock with a Twisted Tele pickup in the neck and a Broadcaster in the bridge, a push-pull inverts the phase of the neck pup giving 5 really great tones.

The other Tele is my Logan Custom which I had Custom built for me around 5 or 6 years ago by a guy called Bob Logan from Wisconsin.

The idea behind this Tele was to build it entirely around my choice of P90 in the neck. P90's are my favourite type of pick up, both gritty and phat at the same time. I love it when you let a note sustain and decay but then you can use technique to wring and squeeze just that bit more juice out of the dying note, as it swells, comes back and then finally decays and dies. Love that.

If I remember, and if I have the time today I will throw some pics up of both telecasters.

I went to look at that guitar last night. It was nowhere near as described, a bit of a Frankencaster. Mexican made body, rosewood fretboard that couldn't be traced and looked warped. It did however sound surprisingly good and packed a punch. I didn't bother buying it. I'm going to go to a shop and try a new one out to see if the HSS config is what I'm imagining. 

I had an American standard Tele in candy apple red a good few years back that I got from my uncle. It was stolen after a gig by some utter bellend who I hope got a disease. I'm finally getting around to replacing it. As I won't be gigging anymore I don't mind if it's Mexican or Chinese made, once it packs much of the usual Tele punch. 

Love that green colour on your custom, CD. Looks great.

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

That looks a nice guitar. Expensive?

Brand new around £4000 but I got it off this guy on eBay who was selling on behalf of his son who was over in Iraq. He had it listed for £375 ! I messaged him asking if the price was right, he assured me it was, so I haggled him down to about £350. I bet his son went mental when he got back home.

Must say though that despite the expensive price tag the build quality isn't anything great. Probably the roughest guitar I still own and probably indicative of why Gibson recently went tits up.

Those P90's do sound gorgeous though, I love to playing this Les Paul clean or very lightly overdriven, with just a hint of reverb. Also sounds great when cranked to the tits, jamming along with Neil Young.

9 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Brand new around £4000 but I got it off this guy on eBay who was selling on behalf of his son who was over in Iraq. He had it listed for £375 ! I messaged him asking if the price was right, he assured me it was, so I haggled him down to about £350. I bet his son went mental when he got back home.

Must say though that despite the expensive price tag the build quality isn't anything great. Probably the roughest guitar I still own and probably indicative of why Gibson recently went tits up.

Those P90's do sound gorgeous though, I love to playing this Les Paul clean or very lightly overdriven, with just a hint of reverb. Also sounds great when cranked to the tits, jamming along with Neil Young.

Neil Young songs seem a popular choice with many guitar players and teachers.

16 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

And since we were talking earlier about goldtop Les Pauls and P90's, here's a pic of my 54 VOS Gibson.

les-paul-jpg.72502

You have some lovely guitars, mate. I’ve never owned an axe with P-90s, but must say I’ve been tempted in my later years. That Midge Ure Signature I linked, actually has a coil split, so the pups will be Humbuckers that look like 90s.

will post pics of my own babies soon

On 10/18/2018 at 8:40 PM, Mook said:

This means nothing to me.

Life.......

I’ve just found out that a guitar hero of my youth died last year at 61. Kevin Stanton.

Kevin Stanton formed ‘MiSex’ in 1977 with a singer named Steve Gilpin - the name ‘Misex’ was taken from a song on Ultrvox’s debut album back in ‘74.

You guys are probably unfamiliar with their music, but the Ultravox influence was there. He played a Gold Top like Midge.

Steve Gilpin was killed in a car crash in 1990.

The band is gone. Gone but not forgotten

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...