You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guitar enthusiasts.

withnail71

• 2 weeks later...

Gibson filed for bankruptcy. Hopefully, they'll be able to continue making guitars.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/may/01/gibson-guitar-firm-files-for-bankruptcy-protection

Hopefully not. They've took the piss for years with the pricing. Every year the price goes up and the quality goes down. They've made countless terrible decisions in the last decade, like the Firebird X and the Robot tuners. They put horrible poly finishes on their new guitars. Plastic fretboards instead of Ebony on their Les Paul Customs. It's just one bad decision after the next. 

This is a good summation of what's going on by Circle of Tone....

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Awesome footage. His later work maybe more highly conceptual and sophisticated but his playing here is just laughably good, a little more accessible while retaining the unpredictability. Some of his later, harder jazz stuff you’ve really gotta be switched on to follow him. Absolute mastery of the fretboard, probably to a greater extent than anybody else ever.

• Upvote 1

Awesome footage. His later work maybe more highly conceptual and sophisticated but his playing here is just laughably good, a little more accessible while retaining the unpredictability. Some of his later, harder jazz stuff you’ve really gotta be switched on to follow him. Absolute mastery of the fretboard, probably to a greater extent than anybody else ever.

Amazing eh.

Have you got the LP he made with Tony Williams, Believe It? That's my favourite Holdsworth album, he left Soft Machine to make it I think.

Amazing eh.

Have you got the LP he made with Tony Williams, Believe It? That's my favourite Holdsworth album, he left Soft Machine to make it I think.

One of the best fusion albums of all time, that! Haven’t listened to it in years, but you’ve inspired me to give it a spin tonight. Have a feeling that might’ve been my first exposure to Holdsworth, but funnily enough that record actually completely changed my perspective on drumming, more than anything. Was absolutely blown away.

• Upvote 1

Not picked up my electric guitar for about 10 years. Decided to blow off the dust and purchased a Orange mini amp for £49. Thinking about getting the guitar serviced, will it make much of a difference?

Yep, a string change and a set up is always a good idea. They’ll sort the action and intonation, probably polish the frets and stuff. It’ll definitely feel slicker.

Ed King guitarist with Lynyrd Skynyrd dies yesterday 68

Although not a founding member he did play the first 3 albums and co-wrote Sweet Home Alabama .. Left in 1975 after a series of rows with Ronnie Van Zant which in broader terms wasn't such a bad thing as he missed out on the plane crash in 77 which killed Van Zant.

If you like Lynyrd Skynyrd I highly recommend the documentary  If I Leave Here Tomorrow 

Here he is at the reunion for Skynyrd when they are inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFbnhzFMjkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEERJMlbMlY

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

As good as King was it was Steve Gaines that would have changed Skynyrd up. 

Sad loss him and van zandt both going. Gaines was well on his way to being a major name imo

Anyway

Recently got these, the left one is the new unreliced Lemon drop with the Peter Green wired pick ups

42452723_10217542747589947_7028871025383

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

As good as King was it was Steve Gaines that would have changed Skynyrd up. 

Sad loss him and van zandt both going. Gaines was well on his way to being a major name imo

Anyway

Recently got these, the left one is the new unreliced Lemon drop with the Peter Green wired pick ups

42452723_10217542747589947_7028871025383

Vintage are beautiful guitars.
I have the Lemon Drop myself. genuine 'Patent Applied For' pups (Seth Lover recipe)
You lucky dog you.

They are hard drivers those pups - I normally back off the volume pots slightly, drive the amp minutely, and then she really sings in the solos when upping the volumes

Finding the tone of Mr Green means experimenting a bit, but it's in there. His LP had a reversed magnet in the neck pup which gave the tone, but in reality, there's no difference between reversing the magnet or reversing the wiring.
Here's to The Green God.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Got my eye on this little beauty:

Vintage are making very original guitars. This a Gold Top with P90's and a whammy bar. The Midge Ure Signature. Just about creaming my jeans.

http://vintageguitars.wpengine.com/electric-reissued-details/#midge-ure-signature

If I was a guitarist,I'd go for the black.