You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Robbie Fowler

Bjornebye

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

He's doing a charity raffle to win a 1 bedroom apartment on St. Anne's Street. 

£10 a ticket. All money goes to the fight against Coronavirus. 

Oh, and he was boss. My all time favourite player, probably. 

Definitely in my top 3 that's for sure. 

I think what made him do intriguing, for me anyway, was the fact he wasn't much older than me.

I was probably about 12-13 when he burst onto the scene. But he was only a few years older and felt like a kid to, as opposed to rush who looked like my dad. 

Mad how Owen came around and nearly made him invisible isn't it...... 

As with a couple of our later strikers (Owen, Torres) and despite his incredible goal-scoring early on, the story of Robbie will always be a bit of what could have been for me. He was by far the Liverpool player I've taken to the most, and he's still perhaps my all-time favourite player (might have been coincidental with my LFC interest at it's peak during late teenage years). Can't help thinking that he would have overtaken Shearer/Henry etc as the best PL goalscorer of all time if he had been managed better or had taken better care of himself.

I still get teary whenever thinking about all the times when his name appeared on the screen in the 90's (when not all our games were televised here in Norway), you just knew if Liverpool needed a goal late on that his name would pop up on the goal-service back then. He was just absolutely lethal from every which angle and with either foot (and head) as well. He had that trademark burst of speed that all great strikers have too (even if not as rapid as Owen later on). That period from getting the 5 goals against Fulham until he was injured against a select Norway XI in Oslo is probably the best, most consistent source of goals we've had at the club from one player (since I started watching us). 

After that injury he was never quite the same, picking up a series of other knocks as well as never really recovering that yard of pace he needed to get away from the defenders. One of the few players I've really watched and hoped would do well for other clubs even after he left us, it was one of the best and most emotional moments of my football-supporting life when he re-entered Anfield in February 2006. Got a real lump in my throat watching that again, as I do when I watch Anfield erupt at him making his 2nd home debut.

Suarez might have been a better all-round player, both Owen and Torres (and Mane/Salah) were quicker, but the sheer genius involved in every Fowler goal means I still think he'll stack up favourably against all of them when comparing peak performance. Still, as with Owen/Torres, his powers waned considerably, and instead of topping all goalscoring records for us, he ended up as one of the greats instead of the greatest.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

My all time favourite Red. By some distance as well. My hero as a kid. Still is now. 

Fowler

Torres

Alonso

Firmino

Van Dijk

I'm too young to remember Dalglish etc as players. Obviously the King is the greatest. 

Same with fowler for me as well. No Gerrard on your top list though ?

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

My all time favourite Red. By some distance as well. My hero as a kid. Still is now. 

Fowler

Torres

Alonso

Firmino

Van Dijk

I'm too young to remember Dalglish etc as players. Obviously the King is the greatest. 

Kenny was mine because he was the main man just as I got really interested in football. He’d just joined us and people weren’t sure he’d match up to Keegan!

25 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Same with fowler for me as well. No Gerrard on your top list though ?

Who? 

15 minutes ago, suzy said:

Kenny was mine because he was the main man just as I got really interested in football. He’d just joined us and people weren’t sure he’d match up to Keegan!

Im not 50 

Might be misremembering this a bit but it felt like he developed his game into more of a second striker type role as he got older. Always had great touch and awareness, but he started dropping into midfield a bit more and hitting the box later. Never really got the credit he deserved for his game intelligence.

29 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Might be misremembering this a bit but it felt like he developed his game into more of a second striker type role as he got older. Always had great touch and awareness, but he started dropping into midfield a bit more and hitting the box later. Never really got the credit he deserved for his game intelligence.

I haven’t forgiven Ged for never giving Fowler and Owen combo a proper go. 

• Upvote 1

I remember when Rafa brought him home and I got the rare opportunity to get to a game.  All the way up the motorway I was praying I'd get to see God, and even dared to dream of seeing him score.

I'm pretty sure it was against Bolton, and he scored the only goal of the game.  It was a bit of a scuffed effort but I had tears in my eyes as he celebrated, to me it was the greatest goal I'd ever seen scored live.

• Upvote 5

22 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

When England won the European Under-18 Championship In 93, Fowler played at the tip of the midfield, behind Julian Joachim and Kevin Gallen. He still played as a striker for our junior sides though. 

On 11/04/2020 at 14:46, Bjornebye said:

Fowler

Torres

Alonso

Firmino

Van Dijk

It pained me to do it, but I’ve had to beg that.

No Gerrard and that fucking rat at 2? Gerrard 

made Torres what he was while he was here.

• Upvote 1

Fowler could have been so much more. Unfortunately he was pretty much finished at 23. them injuries killed that really top tier career. 

He is still to this day my favorite ever Liverpool player, even though I lived through the eighties aswell. Souness probably would have been but him fucking up with that rag puts him bottom as a human being, but still up there as a player.

That leftfoot on Fowler wasa thing of beauty, and by all accounts everyone he's played with are saying they've never seen anything like it. He could just ping it whereever he wanted it. 

He had it all except being rapid and those injuries took that last bit of the pace. He still had the anticipation, finishing, positioning and pretty much everything else. and him being able to carry Ayre shows he had strenght aswell.

Proper legend in my book, shame he never had that top tier career that his talent deserved.

• Upvote 1