You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emile Heskey

Baltar

I particularly used to like watching him get a tap on the ankle, then spend the remainder of the game hobbling around doing fuck all for the rest of the game, appearing to be injured. Then miraculously have healed in time for the next game.

Seemingly had all the tools to be a top player yet rarely demonstrated it.

Only saw him live once. I was in the Annie Road end in a pre-season friendly versus Valencia (2002 I think). Fuck me, his missed a sitter up our end. Even my girlfriend (now wife) said, "fuck, he's crap, how come he plays for Liverpool". I'm sorry. He was a fucking lummox.

• 11 months later...

I can't see that but if it was the 'Caution: Emile Heskey' caption on a slip hazard sign, I bought my mate the t-shirt with that on for his birthday one year.

What do you see in it's place mate?

Wondering if it might just be you who can't see it.

EDIT: Presume you're online using a mobile? Using mine now and can see what you must be getting.

Nah, I liked big Em. For 2 seasons he was very good for us, and on occasion unplayable. Those 2 seasons also saw us win a shit load of trophies and get back in the European Cup. He contributed significantly to that and so will be remembered fondly by me because like with many of our players I chose to remember him for the good, and not the negative.

I'll be applauding when he enters the pitch today. The problem for Emile though is I'm not going to the game so it won't make any difference.

What do you see in it's place mate?

Wondering if it might just be you who can't see it.

EDIT: Presume you're online using a mobile? Using mine now and can see what you must be getting.

Nope I'm on my desktop and I'm seeing a 'stop leeching our bandwidth' replacement image that sites who don't allow hotlinking use when you try to link one of their pictures.

Edit:  No, correction - that's what I was seeing yesterday.  Today I'm seeing this:

rm2ngl.jpg

That's actually a link but clicking it doesn't do anything - it makes as if to open a picture like the forum usually does when you click on one, but nothing happens.  It's OK, I'll live.

Hated that Houllier preferred him with Owen over Fowler

Fowler and Owen weren't much good together though. It says something that a 30-odd year old Karl Heinz Riedle was probably Owen's best Liverpool strike partner.

Heskey was a decent player, fast with a powerful frame. I think O'Neil set his game back by turning him into a glorified freekick winner for Steve Guppy. He wasn't a bad player though by any stretch.

Nah, I liked big Em. For 2 seasons he was very good for us, and on occasion unplayable. Those 2 seasons also saw us win a shit load of trophies and get back in the European Cup. He contributed significantly to that and so will be remembered fondly by me because like with many of our players I chose to remember him for the good, and not the negative.

I'll be applauding when he enters the pitch today. The problem for Emile though is I'm not going to the game so it won't make any difference.

tony knows that johnnyh knows

He was mentally fragile as fuck, but was bought for a specific job,a target man and did it well enough, for a while at least.

Could have been so much better if he wasnt so tender.

Always seemed to up his game when racially abused in European aways or away England qualifiers though. Shame he couldn't exhibit that mental strength when going through a dry spell for us. As his career went on he was very much someone who seemed to score his goals in batches then have massive dry spells-very much a confidence player.

He also was definitely lacking in either a poachers instinct or movement or both, because he used to go weeks without even getting a chance sometimes.

That said, I bear him no ill-will and have some good memories of him. He did score some great goals for us and carried the goalscoring load mid-season during the treble season. Unfortunately for him Fowler and Owen's end of season goals will be better remembered by many I think.