You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emile Heskey

Baltar

I think it's unfair that Heskey is now a joke figure in football. He was a decent player at Liverpool. Not great by any means and pissed me off no end at times, but he doesn't deserve the ridicule he gets today by people probably too young to remember how well he played at times for Liverpool.

PS. Does anyone remember which game it was when Heskey ran 70 odd yards during a break without a defender in sight and Owen alongside him, only to hit a tame shot at the 'keeper? That really pissed me off.

he was brilliant in 2000/20001, okay the season after and pretty poor the rest of the time for us, his career elsewhere had some decent times and seemed well liked wherever he went but his goal record was pitiful

there are worse strikers who have had far less stick (Kenwyne Jones etc) I just guess the profile that comes along with playing for England (should never have been in squads anywhere near as long as he was but thats the managers faults for picking him) which makes him an easy joke figure I guess

I've never really got why anyone would want a striker who doesn't score goals regardless of what else they offer as I find it similarly bizarre as when someone puts James Milner on the wing for his defensive capabilities but each to their own

Big useless sack of shit

Bit unfair there Dennis. He wasn't as bad as people make out. I watched him have some good games for us while he was here.

His best period for us was after Owen got kicked in the face at Derby missing a load of games, a game in which Heskey got a hat trick.

Him and Fowler played really well together from then on,Playing alongside an intelligent player as opposed to doing the donkey work for Owen. The cup game at Leeds for instance.Him and Fowler ran them ragged.

Roma couldn't handle him in the game on Geds return.

Houllier fucked him up playing him on the left. He was a centre forward for fucks sake

I think it's unfair that Heskey is now a joke figure in football. He was a decent player at Liverpool. Not great by any means and pissed me off no end at times, but he doesn't deserve the ridicule he gets today by people probably too young to remember how well he played at times for Liverpool.

PS. Does anyone remember which game it was when Heskey ran 70 odd yards during a break without a defender in sight and Owen alongside him, only to hit a tame shot at the 'keeper? That really pissed me off.

He had on very good season - 2000-01. His career goals to games record is awful. A pet hate of mine is center forwards who are shit at scoring goals. I often wonder, do they lie awake at night thinking "I'm a bit shit at my job." I very much doubt it. They probably just check their bank balance on their smartphone and laugh to themselves.

He had on very good season - 2000-01. His career goals to games record is awful. A pet hate of mine is strikes who have are shit at scoring goals.

He wasn't a goal machine true but he wasn't helped by Houllier who just deployed him as the striker to do the donkey work in order to bring the best out of Owen.

I was lucky enough to be at that Derby game where Owen got his head stoved in.  And Derby couldn't handle Heskey that day, he was fucking awesome.  But he tailed off alarmingly after that one good season.  And some of the sitters he missed at times made me wince, he should have scored way more goals than he did.

That air shot against United was when I'd had enough. He did roll around quite a lot for a massive fucker. Strange, because on his day, he was actually unplayable. While he lacked some technical attributes, I think it was more of a mental/psychological thing that held him back from being a top level, consistent, performer.

But, I've seen far worse and far lazier players in the red of Liverpool. 

He inspired one of my favorite quotes from the owner of this website when Dave reported Heskey as saying that he was his own worst critic and retorting ' Not while I am still breathing, Emile'.

He is also alleged to have been helping a Radio City charity campaign , and having been handed a prepared statement he read out verbatim'

Hi, I'm insert name here and I am asking for your money for a great cause '

• Upvote 2