You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Musical Opinion Amnesty Thread

Bjornebye

Alright stop, collaborate and LISTEN, ice is back with my brand new invention, something grabs a hold of me tightly, flow like a harpoon daily and nightly.

I dare any of you to listen to "Ice ice baby" and not crack a smile, even people that hate rap music fucking love that shit.

• Upvote 1

Coldplay were the originators of Plinky plonk infantile piano music that has culminated in any number of bad Christmas TV adverts and a myriad of viral 16 year olds doing plinky plonk covers of perfectly good pop and rock songs of yore.

So, in a way, Chris Martin is a revolutionary.

• Upvote 2

I carried on listening to Marillion after Fish left and they're still going with the same singer.Have a listen to the album Brave if you can.....absolutely brilliiant album.Went to see Fish a few years back at The Cavern where he performed Misplaced Childhood album....still one of my favourite albums of all time.

• Upvote 2

Anything with Ronan keating singing. He's a pub singer at best and not even a good one at that. The fact he's made millions being a singer makes me want to hold the world within my hands and crush it into dust, mix that dust with glue and seal my eyelids and ears as I gently drift towards the sun removing the last memory of Ronan keating in a fiery tomb.

• Upvote 2

Anything with Ronan keating singing. He's a pub singer at best and not even a good one at that. The fact he's made millions being a singer makes me want to hold the world within my hands and crush it into dust, mix that dust with glue and seal my eyelids and ears as I gently drift towards the sun removing the last memory of Ronan keating in a fiery tomb.

I think that post actually belongs in this thread Bobby, but I couldn't agree more, he actually sounds like Vic Reeves when he used to do the club singer in Shooting Stars:

• Upvote 1

I'm a musician, and when much younger I gravitated to muso types bands of the day.... Rush, Level 42, Dire Straits, Genesis etc.... but as I've grown older, I've really started to appreciate the art of songwriting...

The likes of Sting, Billy Joel, Elvis Costello, Neil Finn etc have all gone up massively in my estimation. Regardless of their personalities, I've learned to see their craft is a whole new light.

I used to think complex time signatures and difficult to play pieces were the only thing that mattered, but now I realise just how difficult it is to make a timeless classic. Listening to some old Springsteen and Billy Joel stuff amazes me how mature their writing was at a relatively young age - writing about middle aged life with excellence.

• Upvote 1