You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

True Detective.

Kevin D

On the whole I thought Series 2 was extremely good.

Not as good as Series 1 but few things are.

The final episode of Series 2 was better than the shitty end to Series 1 though

Disagree about the quality of series 2 compared to series 1 but the final episode was miles better than its predecessor.

Then again you cant beat a programme where a fit bird phones up a main character and asks him to 'stick it up her ass.'

• 3 weeks later...

We've binned series 2 it off after 4 episodes. 

Vince Vaughn is up there with the worst casting since Tom Cruise played Jack Reacher, just completely unbelievable. I can get past that, but the script is average at best, jumps around too much - to the point where at times you're mostly wondering what the fuck is happening - and is hammy as fuck in places. 

It assumes you know more than you do at times, and that's piss poor. 

Borderline shite if you ask me. 

Season 2 was very strange, I enjoyed it despite it being as incoherent as shit. I thought the acting from the four protagonists was good (yes, even Vaughn).

Few rumours about season 3 going around, Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Gosling being mentioned. Which would be very good casting.

• 9 months later...

Only got around to watching series 2 over the last week or so. I thought it was alright and didn't realise it had had such bad reviews. Gonna get back onto the first one tonight as my bird has only seen the second one. Looking forward to it, big time. If only to see the tits on that piece Woody Harrelson was rattling.

There's a new head of programming at HBO and the talk is that there won't be a 3rd series.

I thought the second series was somewhat underrated and the first series overrated slightly.

Like anyone could give a fuck.

Completely agree.

As for Farrell, he's actually very good in season two, in fact most of the acting is quite impressive apart from that kid from Friday Night Lights.

Boycotting the 2nd because it had that Farrell fanny in it, what the fuck where they thinking?

Farrell was Ok in it. He's made to look like De Niro next to Vaughn.

Incidentally, despite it being an incoherent mess, I quite enjoyed the 2nd season as well, I thought Rachel McAdams was very good in it. Not a patch on the first season though.

Farrell was Ok in it. He's made to look like De Niro next to Vaughn.

Incidentally, despite it being an incoherent mess, I quite enjoyed the 2nd season as well, I thought Rachel McAdams was very good in it. Not a patch on the first season though.

Vaughn wasn't helped by some ludicrous dialogue to be fair.

'Like blue balls in your heart'. Fucking Daniel Day Lewis would struggle to deliver that line.

• 2 years later...

A season of True Detective starring Mahershala Ali and directed by The Green Room’s Jeremy Saulnier did sound almost too good to be true, but don’t worry: You’ll still get two full episodes of it. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Blue Ruin director has had to exit the third season of the HBO crime drama because of “scheduling issues.” Saulnier was initially set to trade off directing duties with series creator Nic Pizzolatto.

As a network spokesperson explained a statement Friday, “Director and executive producer Jeremy Saulnier has completed the first two episodes of True Detective season 3 and will be departing the production due to scheduling issues. Daniel Sackheim has come on board as a director and executive producer for the series alongside series creator and director Nic Pizzolatto.” Sackheim, a TV veteran who has directed multiple episodes of The Americans, Game of Thrones and The Leftovers, will step in for the rest of the season. True Detective Season 3 is currently set to debut sometime next year, provided everyone starts buckling down and focusing on what really matters here: murders, presumably some real weird ones.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Never bothered watching the second season because of the terrible reviews but toying with watching it before the third season hits next month. 

Is it as bad as it gets made out?

It’s really not. It’s quite clearly not as good as the first but I still really enjoyed it. I thought both Farrell and Vaughn were pretty good in it. 

• Upvote 2