You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

True Detective.

Kevin D

I am guilty all the time of guessing plots halfway and criticizing shows for being too simple. 

In that respect True Detective should be applauded for having the balls to have to make viewers read a synopsis to find out what is going on.

90 min last episode? Looking forward to that.

I have to say Vince Vaughn has been thoroughly good in this. I've berated Paul on previous threads regarding rom com's and one of the reasons behind the cheesy un funny love comedy's is this guy. He had a clean slate for me when this aired initially and I think he has been excellent throughout.

I don't get the hate at all

Let's get something straight, if an 8 episode television show is so incoherent that it needs an article that long explaining it, then it's not doing it's job. This isn't Twin Peaks here and the great TV narrative of our time, the Wire, didn't need explanation like that. True Detective season 2 has been okay to enjoyable with some decent performances but it's plot is like a plate of spaghetti because it's over-expanded itself.

• Upvote 2

Maybe some actual detective work in series three of True Detective would be good. This series will always be remembered for being borderline incomprehensible and having wildly miscast actors. I didn't mind it at all, and I'd watch Rachel McAdams and Colin Farrell do this sort of role all day, but it just felt like a waste of talent and resources. Could have been so much better, in the end it was just okay.

On the whole I thought Series 2 was extremely good.

Not as good as Series 1 but few things are.

The final episode of Series 2 was better than the shitty end to Series 1 though

Season 2 got the ending Season 1 deserved - in tone as well as quality.

The last 2-3 episodes made up for a lot of the dross in the first 3-4 episodes.

Was that 'You can't Act' scene with Vaughn knowing?

• Upvote 1

I watched this during the week in two sittings. As someone earlier in the thread has mentioned I also gave this the benefit of the doubt on the basis that I enjoyed the first series so much. I watched the first four episodes and it seemed to be (ever so slowly) setting up the next four and I give it the benefit of the doubt despite my inner-self advising me to bail on it. The following four episodes descended into an explosion of farcical cliches, abysmal lazy plotting, appalling acting, overlong meandering speeches that spoke much but said nothing and absolutely took 'suspension of disbelief' to its furthest frontier. The 'orgy' episode' was particularly silly and amounted to  perhaps what you might expect to see in an episode of '24' or some juvenile Tom Cruise action bollocks.As good as the first series was this was shit.

Dogshit, the sort of runny dogshit that won't wash out of a white carpet. I wish I'd listened to my instinct at the start of the 5th episode when 'The A-team' are re-assembled but I didn't and stubbornly saw it out and was angry at myself for doing so. 'Shockingly shit' is my considered verdict. Vince Vaughn (in particular) and the writers should be made to stand naked in a circus ring while rest of the world points and laughs at them in the style of Nelson Muntz. I'm shocked that HBO green lighted this under the auspices of their good name.The melodramatic cunts!

• Upvote 2

I found the ending very unsatisfactory - hardly any of the story had any input into the actual conclusion.

Like Raiders Of The Lost Ark - despite Indiana Jones best efforts, the Nazi's still got the Ark, still opened it & still all died - only much less fun & good.

It's probably got the worst character development of any series i've ever seen in my life, it's all over the place. Series one had two protagonists in it and everything was seen from their perspective, series two has four. Series one had one story, the ritualistic murders and to find out who was responsible, everything else was interweaved around that.

Season two has loads of things from Caspar, to the shoot out, to the drug parties, to Bezzerides dad, the plastic surgeon, the crow, Farrell's whole story arc with his ex wife, his kid, Frank, then Frank with Caspar, Frank with his wife, Frank taking control of the underworld, and the motorcycle cop with his sexuality, his relationship with his mum, it's a cluster fuck. Then throw in at least two hours worth of filler in the form of vague monologues that explain nothing in an 8 hour show and no-one has a fucking clue whats going on.

Just simply removing Frank and the motorcycle cop as protagonists would of allowed them to tell a story in 8 episodes with Bezzerides and Velcoro and allowed them to flesh out those two characters fully as well as the plot. It was far too ambitious and it suffered from some terrible casting choices like Vince Vaughn who's as wooden as a rocking horse throughout. Gutted really because the first series was a complete masterpiece, they need to simplify for season three unless they tell the story over 16 episodes and then it's possible.

• Upvote 4

Enjoyed the ride but too much going on to really be engrossing, around episode 4 I really was loving it and I thought 'yep here we go'.  Last 3 episodes felt rushed and key moments in the investigation clicking so quickly and with such vague detective's intuition cracking the case that it felt like deus-ex machina just to head towards a big climax and in all honesty I didn't feel there was one.

I really wanted to love it, I loved the characters.  Frank especially, I think Vaughn was amazing.  Just think it was two characters too many in 8 episodes to build up character development with so much going on. When Ray went to visit his son before making his escape I thought 'no.. no man don't' so obviously I cared but I knew it was gonna end bad.

I feel it isn't the mess some of the reviews seem to be indicating.  It really had great moments and it was better than most of the crap on TV we are fed.  We are spoiled these days, TD season 1 was just incredible so we are shocked when the second season isn't as good.  

Everyone knew that season two wasn't going to be as good. Season one is probably the best telly series I've ever watched. I honestly don't know how you can come away from watching that thinking anything other than Vaughn got massively found out. His mannerisms alone should have been enough to rule him out of the role before he even opens his mouth. It was probably the worst performance I've ever seen from a lead actor in a series as big as this. He was just truly terrible. The only redeeming thing about the whole series was Farrell. It's a shame because EVERYBODY with half a brain seen it coming. They tried to go left field with Vaughn and it single handedly made the show shite. That's before even going into anything the Boss posted above.

I'm glad I stuck with this, despite it's massive flaws. They really do need to work on the writing if a third season goes dead though. You can't have a plot that depends on the audience knowing dozens of obscure or minor characters who've had mere seconds of screen time within hours of TV.