You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Rugby Thread

Rapey Hugh

England v Ireland was a great game of intensity and physicality with not so much quality.  2 bloody great tries but apart from that I was disappointed with the backs performances.  Both teams full backs played well but they were diamonds amongst coal.  I was surprised by the Irish tbh, I didn't expect a huge amount from England - young inexperienced and imo very average wingers & centers. I expected Irelands quality at 10-15 to be the difference in a battle where the packs were well matched (despite England missing 2 of their best front 3)

Both teams defence was superb, the intensity and physicality was like watching a tri nations game. Epic hits and tackles and a bloody fantastic competition at the breakdown whether it was turn overs or holding the man up and winning the scrum. 

Ireland tried to run far too much in their own half, they didn't play the territory game and to often they were driven back behind the gain line and had to resort to a defensive or hopeful kick.  Ireland were bloody brilliant though for 10 minutes after half time. needed another score though to provide daylight.

As for England.  I'm delighted with the win.  Great character on display.  4-8 we have a hell of a team and when all available we will have a bloody good 1-8 plus quality replacements.  I like care at 9 and brown has been exceptional at 15.  10-14 though remains a problem area.  getting the right balance and personnel.

• Upvote 2

Excellent character by England & as GC said we are more or less sorted in 10 ( 11 with Tuilagi ) positions,

Still can't see us winning the WC with Farrell at stand-off. Seems to be getting a bit more expansive but don't really rate him much & when is kicking is off he offers very little.

Twelvetrees seems really ordinary & constantly makes poor decisions.

The 2 wingers I would have to see a bit more of at this level, but not made a massive impression. May seems decent if a bit flimsy but Nowell seems to have been promoted a bit too quickly.

Should be a cracking last 2 sets of fixtures.

LFD in chatting shit shocker...

I'd have thought you being Welsh would agree with the ref given he aided your team.

I don't like the French, but the ref made it very hard for them in that match with the decisions.

Sets it all up nicely though for the last few matches.

• 2 weeks later...

Really looking forward to England vs Wales.

I think Wales will edge it.  They have the better kicker and one of the best northern hemisphere back lines I have seen.

The packs are about even, home advantage might make it closer - but I think Wales are the better side and they will win narrowly.

Might have to mute Jonathan Davies.