You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Rugby Thread

Rapey Hugh

16 minutes ago, bigthrusts said:

A few shocks there. No Jonny May, no Sexton, no Nvidi. 

Eliot Daly is extremely lucky. Been poor for ages. No idea why Aki is there either. 

IMG-20210506-124517.jpg

Agree with all five of your comments. Much shorter tour than usual so maybe gone with a test XV in mind and a shadow squad in its likeness.

2 hours ago, Em City said:

No Sexton, James Ryan, Garry Ringrose, Billy Vuinipola or Henry Slade. 

I have no idea what Aki is doing there.

It's a weird squad.

From an Irish perspective: James Ryan and Gary Ringrose have been dreadful this season. Sexton looks like a danger to himself. Aki is a walking red card these days, so a bizarre selection... 

3 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

From an Irish perspective: James Ryan and Gary Ringrose have been dreadful this season. Sexton looks like a danger to himself. Aki is a walking red card these days, so a bizarre selection... 

Sexton scored 22 points against England no more than a couple of weeks ago. Him and Farrell are still the best fly halves in Ireland and Britain by far.

I have nothing against Aki and Farrell but no way should they be ahead of Ringrose based on ability, form or any other metric. Ryan has been hit by injury this year but he has to be getting in there ahead of Courtney Lawes who doesn't even start for England.

1 hour ago, Em City said:

Sexton scored 22 points against England no more than a couple of weeks ago. Him and Farrell are still the best fly halves in Ireland and Britain by far.

I have nothing against Aki and Farrell but no way should they be ahead of Ringrose based on ability, form or any other metric. Ryan has been hit by injury this year but he has to be getting in there ahead of Courtney Lawes who doesn't even start for England.

Sexton has barely played since. And he's had serious concussion amongst other injury issues.

Ryan was beaten up against La Rochelle at the weekend. And that's a pretty shit dress rehearsal for South Africa.

Gatland has confirmed exactly the above concerns today. 

Ringrose simply isn't playing well. And Gatland has obviously gone for a more physical centre. Who played well at 12 alongside Henshaw at 13 in the England game you mention. Not that I'd have selected Aki myself... 

13 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Sexton has barely played since. And he's had serious concussion amongst other injury issues.

Ryan was beaten up against La Rochelle at the weekend. And that's a pretty shit dress rehearsal for South Africa.

Gatland has confirmed exactly the above concerns today. 

Ringrose simply isn't playing well. And Gatland has obviously gone for a more physical centre. Who played well at 12 alongside Henshaw at 13 in the England game you mention. Not that I'd have selected Aki myself... 

That's mostly fair. The midfield selection is baffling though. I really like Farrell but he's blown hot and cold at test level. Slade and Henshaw were nailed on starters in my view.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say, bollocks.

Great to be back in a stadium, and a great game of rugby, but... Bollocks

Wish Bristol hadn't bottled it, genuinely wouldn't have minded if they'd beaten us.

Fucking hell we missed Ewers.

Seems an RL coach has been reading Dave's childhood reminiscences on here.

Former St George Illawarra coach Steve Price has been condemned by his club, the Warrington Wolves, for using “hurtful and derogatory” language in a post-match interview.

Price was interviewed in the wake of Warrington’s 44-18 Super League win when he was asked who his standout performer was, the coach replied: “Ellis Longstaff. He reminds me a bit of John Bateman with his mong strength. I was really pleased with all the young fellas.”

• 1 month later...