You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Rugby Thread

Rapey Hugh

26 minutes ago, whtwht said:

I watch Exeter abit and don't find them dull at all. In fact I actually found Saracens quite dull tbh but I enjoy watching a few of the team Slade, O'Flaherty, Simmons bros and Hogg. Just think the Wasps backrow will win the game for them and they have a very good backline.

They’re a great side, and fair fucks to them. 

It’s not the style of rugby I’d pay money to watch but what they achieved yesterday was a brilliant high to an incredible journey. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

They’re a great side, and fair fucks to them. 

It’s not the style of rugby I’d pay money to watch but what they achieved yesterday was a brilliant high to an incredible journey. 

A good atmosphere, lots of old mates floating around and Otter Ale go a long way.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, whtwht said:

I watch Exeter abit and don't find them dull at all. In fact I actually found Saracens quite dull tbh but I enjoy watching a few of the team Slade, O'Flaherty, Simmons bros and Hogg. Just think the Wasps backrow will win the game for them and they have a very good backline.

He's been ace this year, reminds me a lot of when Cordero finally found his footing in the league.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just seen a mention that the 6 nations is probably going on to Pay TV next season! Can't say I'm surprised, but gutted all the same!

I was hoping that a positive outcome of this pandemic bollocks would be more sport on terrestrial TV, and the obsession with charging for everything would loosen, but it seems I was mistaken!

I'd be subbing Robson off again. Nightmare. 

Nice Simmonds shape hole with Billy leaving the field. Nevermind picking the odd player that can break the line, Ed...

Not that bothered to be honest, would love to see this Scotland side make an outside run at the whole competition.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Ireland playing really well and should win from here , but fuck me the refereeing bias against England week in week out , particularly from French twats , is absolutely shocking. I know its not done but Eddie Jones needs to go full on about it.

Ref made one incorrect (Farrell rolling) and one poorish (Aki tackle) unfortunately for the English all the rest were penalties, cast iron, easy for ref to give and totally avoidable . Curry wrong side of ball winner at lineout , crossing in midfield, Itoje a mile offside and continues playing wtf I don't blame Jones this is on the players simple as.

Agree with most of that, bt ,  and there are several players who shouldn't be near thd team, but would also say that like the footy it just doesn't seem the same game in empty stadiums. Scotland , Wales and Ireland have the constant ' chip on the shoulder' thing to keep them at it against England , but England just seem half-arsed. Also , the only time a referee has refereed both sides in an England game in this 6N has been our best performance.

in this 6n

3 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Ref made one incorrect (Farrell rolling) and one poorish (Aki tackle) unfortunately for the English all the rest were penalties, cast iron, easy for ref to give and totally avoidable . Curry wrong side of ball winner at lineout , crossing in midfield, Itoje a mile offside and continues playing wtf I don't blame Jones this is on the players simple as.

Not saying that most of the penalties were poor decisions but as a former referee said in the Guardian a couple of weeks ago , Rugby is a game with two hundred offences in each match it's how many of them you want to see. Just look at the keeness thaf offside is refereed for England against the slackness for the opposition , how quickly penalties are given against England at the breakdown against the almost grudging decisions for them and the difference in how long advantage is played for both sides.

35 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Not saying that most of the penalties were poor decisions but as a former referee said in the Guardian a couple of weeks ago , Rugby is a game with two hundred offences in each match it's how many of them you want to see. Just look at the keeness thaf offside is refereed for England against the slackness for the opposition , how quickly penalties are given against England at the breakdown against the almost grudging decisions for them and the difference in how long advantage is played for both sides.

Think the penalty count was 12-15 not much in it he was a picky ref . But giving away penalties when you are on front foot and in opposition 22 is criminal, also it shows a lack of cohesion in the team going forward you still have to protect ball carrier.  These are basics as is knowing the rules of the game. Eg as I mentioned Itoje mile offside if he stops turns around and doesn't interfere any more ref let's it go cause Ireland getting the ball. What does he do he nails the scrum half what's the ref to do ? Then does the ref police the English offside line with more scrutiny ? Yes he does .  Same with the not releasing , the players are not releasing because there is no support to secure the ball , this seems to be an English tactic so they have extra bodies out wide not involved at breakdown . Player on ground is holding on ref penalises, England don't change approach either does the ref, simple game management of the referee which you are taught at schoolboy level. 

Just seen Genge gouging sexton as England trying to score at end. Penalty should have been reversed but why do that , at that time  under the Irish posts ? Ok he got away with it but shows the stupidity. 

19 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Just stuck France vs Wales on. 

I'm not a rugby follower so I've got no idea what's actually happening, but the use of VAR is decades ahead of anything football has even thought about attempting. 

The difference is that in rugby VAR is used to ensure that the right and fair decision is made.

In football, its used to make sure the FA agenda is adhered to.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...