You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Rugby Thread

Rapey Hugh

Missed the first half of the big game today.  Bristol in the lead at half time.  I expected that, Bristol have been really aggressive and with a good chunk of our forwards off with England I thought we might struggle to assert our game.  Need to hammer them with the maul to dig this back as the replacements come in, hopefully the depth of our squad comes through.

As an aside, knew Ben Moon when I was a kid - he was the kid next door to the friends that used to pick me and my sister up from school when both my parents were working.  Mad to see him out there playing for England.

Wow, what a finish.  Think the pressure told on the ref more than anyone else.  Great defending on the maul at the end, we had to throw everyone in to get some movement.  Not convinced by the penalty try, but once we got moving the challenges got a bit desperate so definitely in the margins.

31-29 final score.

34 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Some 16 year old who wouldn't even remember him playing.  Sounds like he handled it with the class you'd expect from him, must have been tempting to punt the twat into the bay.

Used restorative justice, decent of him I thought because it must have been tempting to let the little fucker rot!

Still a way to go but Ireland are my favourites for the World Cup.  Their club game is in a strong position providing good depth to the national team & they have a single mindedness that England had in 2003 in how to win games. England should have beaten NZ last week but contrived to throw it away and also make stupid decisions in the last 2 minutes to throw it wide rather than keep it central for the drop goal. 

NZ finally look like a team that has lost its aura.  Drain of the talent pool to the riches in Europe hasn't helped them but its the worst/most vulnerable All Black team in a decade. They are still a very good team & have some outstanding individuals but as a team they don't look as formidable. South Africa look to have got their shit toghether & they are a excellent team again. Pity De Klerk hasn't been allowed to play in the autum internationals as he was arguably the player of the tournament in the recent rugby championship. Australia look ordinary but always raise their game in tournament format.

Looking forward to the 6 nations (bar the Italy games) as the level should be at its highest.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brought 24no. 10 year olds up to the Ireland game with our local rugby club. Their first match!

Made sure the parents had given them cash, and made sure they all bought a program and half-and-half scarf just in case!

An absolutely incredible game with an atmosphere to match.

Might just pack it in now!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lario said:

Brought 24no. 10 year olds up to the Ireland game with our local rugby club. Their first match!

Made sure the parents had given them cash, and made sure they all bought a program and half-and-half scarf just in case!

An absolutely incredible game with an atmosphere to match.

Might just pack it in now!

Lucky kids!

• 1 month later...

Fuck's sake.  Cowan-Dickie chucking away a line-out ultimately cost us there, ended 9-7.  What a great game, wish we had Cuthbert or Woodburn in the squad for that.  Game passed Cordero by. 

Sums up what League lacks for me, 80 minutes of constant attritional battle.  No easy outs, just hit after hit after hit.

One of the worst games I've seen all season, error strewn shite.

The pundits on Channel 4 were making it out to be a classic. Talk about shining shit and calling it gold. Thank fuck Leinster are back out tomorrow.

• 7 months later...
1 minute ago, Creator Supreme said:

Didn't know where else to put this, just read that Gareth Thomas has admitted he's HIV positive. Poor fucker, never rains but it pours for that lad.

Gutted for him. 

But if there’s someone who has shown the balls, courage and determination to beat anything it’s him. 

2 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Gutted for him. 

But if there’s someone who has shown the balls, courage and determination to beat anything it’s him. 

Too right Col, reading the story on the beeb he seems fairly upbeat about it, the fact that he's in training for an ironman still means he's healthier than most of us on here!

26 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Didn't know where else to put this, just read that Gareth Thomas has admitted he's HIV positive. Poor fucker, never rains but it pours for that lad.

Yeah, just saw that too.  A real shame, got a lot of respect for him.  Great player, shown himself to be a brave, determined and articulate fella post-retirement as well.  Hope he can manage it well, I'm sure he has access to the best care (for the next month or so at least...).