You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Rugby Thread

Rapey Hugh

Lawes is great when he's on his game.  Hoping to see Simmonds grow into it a bit, but it's not really been played to his strengths yet, strong lineup of locks and flankers ahead of him though (plus Mako) to run with the ball.  Need some pressure in their 22 to see him show what he's best at.

Get Nowell in for May fairly early, not looked at his best.

Just shown the numbers and Simmonds is leading the team with 14 tackles, so making more of an impact on the defensive end than I realised. 

Good to see the England fans in attendance, keeping up tradition by looking like a bunch of absolute bellends.

25 tackles, two tries and sets up Nowell with a nice offload.  Think that counts as "growing into the game".  Only going on about Simmonds because I've seen how he can play at Sandy Park for a while now and he's stood out as a class player from the start, was always a big question how he'll step up at international level. 

Still think he's a bit small to start against the southern hemisphere sides come the World Cup, Wales and Ireland might be the litmus test there (you'd think Billy Vunipola is automatically in if fit), but a great start for him in tournament play.

• Upvote 1

Nice to see that fella dressed as Prince Harry in the crowd. And the obligatory knight or two.

Tougher tests to come, obviously. Meantime, I’m made up the channel that I watch the Prem games on over here has picked up the Six Nations. Haven’t seen a bit of good rugby in a few years. Not an expert but I used to love the Six Nations. Ireland and Wales looked decent. Some good games to come.

• Upvote 1

25 tackles, two tries and sets up Nowell with a nice offload.  Think that counts as "growing into the game".  Only going on about Simmonds because I've seen how he can play at Sandy Park for a while now and he's stood out as a class player from the start, was always a big question how he'll step up at international level. 

Still think he's a bit small to start against the southern hemisphere sides come the World Cup, Wales and Ireland might be the litmus test there (you'd think Billy Vunipola is automatically in if fit), but a great start for him in tournament play.

I was very impressed with the lad ( apostrophe added as it was only Italy of course ) . I know Jones is on at him to bulk up and that Billy is 4 stone heavier than him so wonder if Robshaw's spot might be the one for him to aim for going forward . I  could see a 6/7/8 combination of Itoje / Sam / Vunipola being pretty decent.

Thought England were pretty good but I think the ' It's only Italy ' led to a little bit of complacency defensively at times.

What are your thoughts on the full back position, Pidge ?  I personally think , with the World Cup in mind, we need to be trying out options to Mike Brown who will be 34 when it comes around.

• Upvote 1

Nice to see that fella dressed as Prince Harry in the crowd. And the obligatory knight or two.

Tougher tests to come, obviously. Meantime, I’m made up the channel that I watch the Prem games on over here has picked up the Six Nations. Haven’t seen a bit of good rugby in a few years. Not an expert but I used to love the Six Nations. Ireland and Wales looked decent. Some good games to come.

Good for you to see a bit of biff & bash without the protagonists wearing crash helmets and passing the ball forward, while you are in heathen territory GR !!

The Wales game should be a belter next week.

• Upvote 1

I imagine Brown will hold down the spot until the world cup. But I've never really trusted him in the big games. Great in the air and a strong runner, but sometimes gets carried away trying to do it all.

Think Goode is a natural replacement for him and wouldn't be surprised to see the backup role fall to an extra winger. With more centres (notably Farrell and Slade) having the kicking game to support, I don't think it's quite as critical as it used to be. Both Nowell and Daly have played well there at club level. Don't know if there are any other clear options out there as don't watch it all at club level, so probably missing someone.

I imagine Brown will hold down the spot until the world cup. But I've never really trusted him in the big games. Great in the air and a strong runner, but sometimes gets carried away trying to do it all.

Think Goode is a natural replacement for him and wouldn't be surprised to see the backup role fall to an extra winger. With more centres (notably Farrell and Slade) having the kicking game to support, I don't think it's quite as critical as it used to be. Both Nowell and Daly have played well there at club level. Don't know if there are any other clear options out there as don't watch it all at club level, so probably missing someone.

No I don't watch the clubs myself. Watson has played the odd game at 15 & has the attributes needed.

Chuckling at your first sentence as I have a mate who insists he has watched every game Brown has played for England & has never seen him pass the ball.