You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Rugby Thread

Rapey Hugh

Looking at last years 6 Nations thread it seems to me that there are a few on here that are fans so it seems only right that this finest of sports has a home on here. Come on in if you want to talk:

-Pro Club rugby
-Internationals/Six Nations
-Domestic Amateur Leagues 

-Playing Tips & Advice

Feel free to post blogs/articles/videos you recommend.  Player/Club/Nation Bashing heartily encouraged.

Only thread rule is "rugby" League should only be mentioned in a negative context ITT as it is clearly an abortion of a sport for Carling drinking, slap headed, probable non bean eating peados.

To get the ball rolling I'd love to get your take on the whole ERC-Champions Cup- PRL hullabaloo

• Upvote 2

I can't see England winning the Six Nations.  I think they have too many injuries.

Ireland had a similar situation last year, but I think they might be the team to challenge Wales this time as they seem to have got a lot of their players back.

I wouldn't put them out of it just yet. I have a feeling this could be a very tight year. Every team look very beatable. If England decide to play Farrell then they are killing their chances. It's shocking that he starts especially seeing as his own club play Hodgson when they need to score tries.

I wouldn't put them out of it just yet. I have a feeling this could be a very tight year. Every team look very beatable. If England decide to play Farrell then they are killing their chances. It's shocking that he starts especially seeing as his own club play Hodgson when they need to score tries.

Who should they play at 10?  Flood wasn't in the last squad was he?!

Wasn't Flood dropped for moving to France.Its the stupidest rule I have ever heard of.Yes lets not pick a player for playing in leagues abroad, I mean he might actually improve his alround game.

I can see why they did it.  As they want players to stay in the country and make the league strong.

But it has back fired as many players have just followed the money, which is in France - so it just hinders the National team.

He is gone to France next year as far as I know so that rules him out as Lancaster only wants domestically based players.

Serially underrated player, some of the shit spoken about him in the media is bolloks. First it was that he can't hack tough situations, even though he has been 10 at one of the best performing English clubs for a few years. Then it was "oh but OF clicks so much better" I think you'll find TF actually measures up quite well in comparison. More importantly he actually goes out to play rugby and gets the line going. Madness

He is gone to France next year as far as I know so that rules him out as Lancaster only wants domestically based players.

Serially underrated player, some of the shit spoken about him in the media is bolloks. First it was that he can't hack tough situations, even though he has been 10 at one of the best performing English clubs for a few years. Then it was "oh but OF clicks so much better" I think you'll find TF actually measures up quite well in comparison. More importantly he actually goes out to play rugby and gets the line going. Madness

I prefer him to Farrell.  He plays flat and that helps the rest of the backs.

exactly. On the upside for him he will make a nice little retirement pot over there playing for a few years and then possibly head to Japan to make silly money for the last few months.

I can see why he moved to France, he was probably pissed off at being back up to Farrell.  But Farrell has his dad as a coach, so I guess that helps when the team selection is thought about.

I can see why he moved to France, he was probably pissed off at being back up to Farrell.  But Farrell has his dad as a coach, so I guess that helps when the team selection is thought about.

Owen-Farrell-008.jpg

"No no no son, don' mind that hoity toity shiite Stu was on about, when you get t' ball yeow jus' get boot t' it an fuck it owt touch like this. that passing is for fairies and no son o mine is gonna no bloody fairy! Alrite?"

"I love you dad"

" Steady on son "

Rugby Union is for middle class thugs whose day jobs mean they have to be nice to people,doctors,lawyers etc. Rugby League is the place where the real hard men play.

Not a massive fan of either but RLs passing style and working class roots appeal more to me.

Ey Up.

I couldn't give a shit about class when it comes to sport.  

I like sports which are entertaining, regardless of class.

I think Rugby League is boring and shit, unlike Rugby Union.

Rugby Union is for middle class thugs whose day jobs mean they have to be nice to people,doctors,lawyers etc. Rugby League is the place where the real hard men play. Not a massive fan of either but RLs passing style and working class roots appeal more to me.

Ey Up.

What on earth is the point of that bit? God forbid people should be nice to the people that they work around.

So are people who are not pleasant around their workplace the real hard men, or to qualify do you also have to be working (but not working as doctors, lawyers etc, whatever etc means) class?

As LFD put it bringing class into sport is wrong, they should be taken at face value on the merits of the game. It is just sad point scoring bullshit otherwise.

Union is chess to League's checkers, end of. 

A lot will be made about the Six Nations but considering the results of the autumn Internationals its means jack shit.

Wales have been the best team in recent years but against the 3 SH teams they just cannot win.  No good when building towards the WC.  One thing is Wales advantage is that they have a settled squad and there's only a few positions up for grabs in the starting XV. consistency in selection will help them.  

England & France have the obvious strength in depth but for various reasons both first XV have glaring weaknesses. On their day though they can & will beat the best.

Ireland are similar in that on their day they are a match for most but seem to have a mental block against the very best.  This is the last chance of a generation before the newboys of Munster & Leinster take over.  Capable of beating anyone and losing to anyone.

Scotland and Italy are just poor. 

In terms of the Heineken Cup. I like the look of Ulster.  leinster are back to their best but face a difficult game away to Toulon.  I've not been impressed with Toulon this season though - they have too many players and lack of continuity has hindered their attacking game.  That said their power is immense and at home they have maximum points.  I hope Clermont win it tbh - best all round team over the last few years.  Will they choke again.  Saracens won't make it easy for them. 

In terms of the Heineken Cup. I like the look of Ulster.  leinster are back to their best but face a difficult game away to Toulon.  I've not been impressed with Toulon this season though - they have too many players and lack of continuity has hindered their attacking game.  That said their power is immense and at home they have maximum points.  

They have a big pack + Wilkinson = successful rugby.

I couldn't give a shit about class when it comes to sport.

I like sports which are entertaining, regardless of class.

I think Rugby League is boring and shit, unlike Rugby Union.

The class jibe was because RU has always been considered the posh sport due to the people who take part. I think RU is mostly shit cos it rewards kicking and the ball spends too much time in touch. Plus too many players over congest the playing area.

I see Tales & Dusautoir is gone for France that's a big blow he is a pretty decent 10. That said it brings back Trinh Duc who has for the last few years been repeatedly told to go fuck himself by the FFR for no apparent reason.

If France can go toe to toe with that England pack, not exactly impossible given their squad, and lower their penalty count then all being well with the universe the likes medard, Fofana, Dulin and Basteraud will annihilate that fairly tame English backline(care & brown apart). That said them being french and missing their captain they could easily get bummed