You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: Fullbacks hindering Liverpool attack (ESPN article)

tlw content

by Dave Usher for ESPN

It's fair to say that a lot of things went wrong against Aston Villa. Top of the list would be the initial team selection, although I have to be honest that I would have picked that same side and prior to kickoff I was certainly not anticipating things going the way they did.

That said, it was clear after about 10 or 15 minutes that it needed changing, as Villa were outnumbering the Reds in the middle and looked like scoring any time a Liverpool attack broke down. The lack of personnel in the centre of the park was hurting Liverpool with and without the ball, and I would be hugely surprised if we saw manager Brendan Rodgers go into a game with just two players in his engine room again this season.

The attack was blunted due to the lack of possession needed to patiently build attacks, and it was a very un-Liverpool-like display. In fact, it was far worse than the Villa game last season, which the Midlanders won 3-1. Rodgers' Liverpool are at their best when moving the ball and dragging opposing players around until an opening appears, but against Villa it was all too frantic and hurried and the Reds were trying to score too quickly any time they had the ball. As a result, they had absolutely no control of the game as they couldn't get their foot on the ball or sustain any kind of possession.

The defence was exposed because there were huge gaping holes in the centre of the park where Steven Gerrard was often swamped by three marauding Villa players. The pace, energy and athleticism of the visitors on the counter simply overwhelmed Liverpool, who didn't have enough bodies in there to cope. Villa were just waiting for the Reds' front men to lose the ball, and then they would spring their counterattacks to devastating effect.

Liverpool were completely shell-shocked in that first half, and it wasn't until Rodgers belatedly introduced Lucas Leiva at halftime that the tide of Villa attacks was stemmed. The Anfield side was also helped by Villa having to replace speedster Gabriel Agbonlahor with veteran target man Grant Holt. That was akin to swapping the Road Runner for Foghorn Leghorn.

Read the rest of the article here.

Click here to view the article

Johnson played really well against Man U early in the season. Obviously I know he then got injured but even so, he's been dreadful every time he's played since then.

He was also awful for most of the back end of last season.

Partly because we know what he is capable of, I'd say he is the player who annoys me more than anyone at the moment.

Not sure if true but Johnson hasn't been able to move around freely I thought he was staying back as Sterling is playing as a winger but according to someone in the know his knee needs an op. 

Might explain a few things.

Edit - I think the full back roles are the hardest positions to play in this team.  The work demand asked of them is incredibly high and often they get little protection and have to be wingers as well as defenders.

Not sure if true but Johnson hasn't been able to move around freely I thought he was staying back as Sterling is playing as a winger but according to someone in the know his knee needs an op. Wouldn't be surprised if that Salah ends up playing rightback.

Haha its his glands not his knee!

He's got an arse the size of a small planet.