You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The unpopular opinion thread 2014 - amnesty applies.

Kevin D

He's a player that needs options to really excel, but he is wasteful. As is Sterling right now unfortunately. It's something that needs to be addressed, especially for CL. If you give the ball away cheaply there you get punished. 

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder. That has to be drink talking.

He's a far better defender than people give him credit for. And watching Manquillo against Basel - getting into attacking positions, then pissing his pants because he doesn't know what to do - made me pine for the big overpaid, Suarez-defending beast.

I still don't think he's a particularly good defender at all, as the numerous horror shows last year showed. What he offered today was attacking threat which occupied WBA and created space for other players. I don't want him back shepherding players for 40 yards into our area. Use Manquillo when we are under heavy pressure and bring Johnson on for when we are looking to attack. 

The problem is not that he can't defend because he has shown numerous times that he can. The problem is not his patchy injury record (apart from his debut season, has he EVER been fit at the start of the season?). The problem with Johnson is that he tunes out mentally too often and can look so sluggish and/or dopey sometimes, and it means that he's an inconsistent player at best.

• Upvote 2

I would be surprised if Lambert scored 5 in all competitions this season. Guy looks like he's having a total nightmare. Feel sorry for him but it has to be said, he's been terrible. Borini is a far better option. Still, at least he's not Aspas.

I think he's trying too hard. Maybe a bit over-awed playing for his boyhood club which is understandable, but it is frustrating because he was a very good player for Southampton and took to international stage well too.

I still think he'll come good and score some important goals over the course of the season. I just hope he gets the chance. 

Mad how every single player in the squad, every single one, including players who did well last season, are taking flack but Rodgers isn't really. Are all of our players completely useless or is perchance something deeper afoot?

There were calls from some for him to be sacked this week. I think he's getting some pressure alright.

He's a player that needs options to really excel, but he is wasteful. As is Sterling right now unfortunately. It's something that needs to be addressed, especially for CL. If you give the ball away cheaply there you get punished. 

You are right but it still doesn't account for his wastefulness, if the ball isn't on keep hold of it instead of trying these eye of a needle passes that only come off 1 out of 10 times, to be honest sometimes the passes arn't particularly hard and he's still messing them up.

Sterling although he's had a very dodgy couple of games where his touch has been way off has still been contributing (and been our main threat) this season, a few goals and assists as well as making chances that haven't been taken, Coutinho hasn't barely done a thing of note, i have no worries that he will find form again but right now he shouldn't be anywhere near the team especially now we have Lallana fit.

• Upvote 1

There were calls from some for him to be sacked this week. I think he's getting some pressure alright.

Thats absurd really, and im someone who isnt really sold on Rodgers. Has to be said though Reina and Aggers attitude towards him and the walkout by Sakho are worrying signs.

He has never had this pressure before not just of expectation, but the pressure of a game every 3 days, no time to work on training, this is where you will find Rodgers true level.

The "I can't believe Sakho made those 7 mistakes against Germany for Brazil in the World Cup" style jokes are so fresh they might as well come individually foil-wrapped.

"He's gone, get over it" is still alive and well on the forum 6 years later, so you may be stuck with them, I'm afraid.