You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The unpopular opinion thread 2014 - amnesty applies.

Kevin D

City, Chelsea and Arsenal will be above us. United, Spurs, Everton, and Southampton might.

I think we could still finish 4th if we made major changes to the way we're trying to play. But we won't.

I agree with that except perhaps Southampton who do have some good players but I can't see them sustaining anything like their current form over a whole season with at least half a new team.

City, Chelsea and Arsenal will be above us. United, Spurs, Everton, and Southampton might.

I think we could still finish 4th if we made major changes to the way we're trying to play. But we won't.

Southampton, Spurs and Everton won't finish above us.

We'll finish 5th at worst.

I agree with that except perhaps Southampton who do have some good players but I can't see them sustaining anything like their current form over a whole season with at least half a new team.

I hope that is the case with Southampton, but then I seemed to be a bit of a lone voice at the start of the season in thinking they wouldn't suddenly fall apart this year and get relegated. It was based mainly on how shit 1/2 to 2/3 of the league is. They sold £40m worth of players for £100m then spent £50m on £50m worth of players. They pass the ball to each, and are solid defensively. The combination of which makes them much better than many of the league's teams.

The "new team" thing I don't really buy any of the time, but especially not when the goal (for the sake of whether they could finish above us) may only be having to finish 7th, with what? 60 points? (just checked the last three seasons 7th place points total - 64/61/56).

Their fixtures for October and November look kind as well. 

I dunno, maybe its mental that four months after challenging for the title I'm worried about Southampton finishing above us. 

We do need to sort out shit out very quickly though, because we have looked fucking shite in almost all of our games so far.

• Upvote 1

Letting Agger go was a mistake.

In fact not having a real shot at him as a DM while he was younger was a huge missed opportunity imo.

Keeping Gerrard in the team is a square peg in a round hole, he should be an impact sub as others have stated.

LFC are laughably shit at this whole transfer market/scouting business and I would rather they spent €20m on sorting the system than on a new signing.

I fully trust the manager and believe he has the ability to turn this around. People getting all panicky and sticking the boot into him as soon as the going gets a bit rough are doing my head in.

the ones sticking the boot in are the ones who have been doing it from day 0.

I'm not sure about him, but I'm not sticking the boot in.  There are quite a few of the same ilk.

• Upvote 2

I'm sure this will upset the superfans but we're not getting top 4, and probably not getting out of this group either.

It's not about support, my support is unquestioned and I'll be watching every game and supporting my club.  I'm talking about what I think will happen and we're totally disjointed this season.  There are mitigating factors to some of it: a lot of new players to gel in, Sturridge's injury, etc but the fact remains that we're now 10 games or so into the season and we've had one good performance.

Early on in a season you can say performances matter more than results, at least as far as predicting where you'll end up, and hope springs eternal.  However, we've now had enough games to see where we are as a team and it's not anywhere good.  Results are dreadful and the performances haven't been much better.  

We are, at this moment in time, simply not a top 4 club.  The only reason we can still hope that maybe we'll make it is how bad the Mancs/Spurs/Everton have been.  I hope I'm wrong, but at this point I think we'll end up 5th or 6th and out of the CL group, which would be an unmitigated disaster of a season.

• Upvote 2