You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Banks - Bankers

Bobby Hundreds

Dog, firstly, you should probably, maybe, possibly be saying that banks are IN SOME SLIGHT WAYS no different to households. And even then it would be an almost pointless comment when looking at the grand scale of events.

Would you like to tell me how the banks that deliberately offered homebuyers "cheap" debt that then exploded in rate so they lost their homes are no different to the people who took those mortgages out in an effort to buy a house.

If you feel that the sub-prime mortgage issue is irrelevant to the crisis (I wouldn't put it past someone that argued that the crisis wasn't global and seemingly thinks that Latin American CIA stations spend their time on after-school projects when it suits winning an argument) then that's up to you.

I don't need to go into much depth Dog, Bankers are, in many, many ways, very different to people taking on debt. It's idiotic to suggest otherwise.

*This is where you admit that you probably should have worded your post differently*

Arguably I should word my posts differently to compensate for those with limited understanding, but since I am pissing against the wind anyway, it hardly seems worth it.

Households and banks both took advantage of cheap debt. Yes, people like to complain about banking practices now, after the financial crash, but they weren't complaining so much when they were being given 125% mortgages at 2% interest. Funny, that. But if it helps the man on the street absolve himself of even a smidgen of blame for financial meltdown, who am I to argue.

I've no intention of defending poor banking practices, or, indeed, the (Labour) government that allowed them to get away with murder. Banks and households are apples and oranges, I shouldn't need to point this out.

The sub-prime mortgage issue isn't irrelevant to the crisis at all. What you are missing is that sub-prime was only one aspect of it. And any government that was doing its job correctly should have noticed that debt levels were unsustainable and that we were in a massive housing bubble. Cable noticed, and Gordon Brown called him a scaremongerer.

Yes, we've been over the "global financial crisis" before, and our different definitions of "global", which ultimately boil down to me pointing out that some countries essentially escaped the effects of the crisis because they were better managed than ours, thus invalidating any claim that our crash was somehow unavoidable. But if you want to believe it was unavoidable, go ahead.

And you are again welcome to point to any evidence that the US is planning to overthrow any South American regimes, or has been involved in any such attempts in the recent (post Cold War) past.

I think your backtracking should have a backing track. Maybe that tune they used on the Hodgson youtube vid where he's stomping round.

It helps make it easier to watch a worm squirm.

Ive already provided at least 5 south american countries in the last ten years, if only you hadnt outwitted me by your pig ignorance.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

which ultimately boil down to me pointing out that some countries essentially escaped the effects of the crisis because they were better managed than ours

Which ones, Stronts?

Iceland? They put their bankers in jail.

Just re read what SD wrote, thats some longwinded shit, could have saved a lot of time and money by just admitting you havent the slightest fucking clue what you are talking about.

Your intellectual insight on these threads is much like watching father ted with a toffee hammer, a soon to be auctioned ford cortina and a small dint.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Stronts, as I asked you before when you slinked away from the conversation:

If the CIA aren't manipulating to their own ends in Latin America then what exactly do you think they are doing with their time and at what date do you think they stopped doing something that reaped massive benefits for them because it "wasn't really cricket". You cited Islamic terrorism last time so I presume you may have a better answer now?

And before we get to US tinkering, still a few steps away, as I always say - you are welcome to quench your thirst for having informed opinions on geopolitics by picking up a book every now and then. Or, I suppose, employing me as a researcher full-time, whichever you feel would be more convenient. I know it would make it harder to selectively argue small points but it may leave you more informed in general on the things you are regularly so incredulous about. You know, like intelligence services trying to manipulate in other countries to their own ends; crazy off-the-wall things like that.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Germany I presume

Their economy contracted by over 5% in 2009. And even more than that if you include the end of 2008. It was, by far, the biggest contraction in the history of the German Federal Republic. Not sure that fits the bill as a country which 'escaped the effects' of the crisis.

I'll hold my hands up Skids, we've been manipulating the Libor rate for years in my household. I've been lobbying the regulator that's meant to keep my direct debits in order too, you know, so I can just run wild. I also deliberately manipulated the situation in Greece to raze the country financially (for my own self-gain).

It's basically my fault.

No wonder train fares keep going up.

Had an interview for Goldman Sachs a few days ago. Crazy, the air of superiority and grandeur that fills their offices. Or maybe it's just in my mind? I don't know.

I feel like I'm in constant conflict. I do hope I get it - as people from where I came from aren't the type who end up working for somebody like GS. My family was fairly poor and I went to an abhorrently inept high school - I worked f*cking hard to get where I am today, through my own volition and there was certainly no private tuition or 'links in the city'. My dad passed when I was very young and my mother doesn't even know what an Investment Bank is, she's an immigrant. I guess that I should feel proud...or accomplished.

So why don't I? Why don't I give a flying fuck?

I learnt a long long time ago that even if I win the rat race, i'll still be fucking rat. I've been offered (and flirted with) a variety of jobs. From Investment Banks to Management Consultancies, they all bore me. They're all just...jobs. Who gives a fuck? I find it really hard to. I am not passionate for any of this horseshit.

I know this will probably sound a bit pathetic or jejune but I'd give up the grossly lavish wages on offer at any of these jobs in a fucking second if I could work for LFC. Man, I'd probably weep like a baby if I ever got the chance. I don't even mean as a f**tballer, but in a corporate or commercial role. That would be my dream. I wonder if there's a way to do it.

• Upvote 1