You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Iphone advice

Champ

Hlm hates his phone. He has a contract with O2 that still has a year to run. He wants an iphone and will consider no other, so dont even try to persuade me.

Does anyone know a way round this problem and/or the best deals around at the moment?

All advice greatly received 

Difficult one Cath as he has a year left to run on his deal and its an iPhone.

One way you have term fees and you're after a phone that the networks/suppliers hardly get any discount on.

When's the contact end date and what cost is his tariff a month? Also what model and GB of iPhone is it?

Hlm hates his phone. He has a contract with O2 that still has a year to run. He wants an iphone and will consider no other, so dont even try to persuade me.

Does anyone know a way round this problem and/or the best deals around at the moment?

Should have got the iPhone first time round.

O2 are doing Refresh. This allows customers to upgrade early and they get a 25% reduction in their buy out fee. If you recycle the old handset it can help pay off the early upgrade cost if it is a high-spec handset.

http://www.o2.co.uk/refresh/hows-it-different

This is what I'm looking for.

What are people paying for their contracts? He was quoted 47 quid. That seems like a big commitment to me

Difficult one Cath as he has a year left to run on his deal and its an iPhone.

One way you have term fees and you're after a phone that the networks/suppliers hardly get any discount on.

When's the contact end date and what cost is his tariff a month? Also what model and GB of iPhone is it?

He currently has a contract with O2 on an HTC8S and is paying 26/month

This is what I'm looking for.

What are people paying for their contracts? He was quoted 47 quid. That seems like a big commitment to me

You can get an iPhone 5S 16gb for free on a 24 month contract paying £37 per month with unlimited minutes and text and 1gb of 4G according to the O2 website - £17.00 per month tariff cost and then £25.00 per month for the handset cost. That's about standard for all the networks I'd say. You can pay a lower amount per month but you're looking at paying something for the handset then.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/refreshTariffs/apple/iphone-5s-16gb-space-grey/

If he is happy with his contract id buy one outright. Plenty of 0% cards out there to help spread the payment, its what I do, and as it'll be unbranded it'll hold value much longer. So when he gets bored with that one he can sell for a bit more then he would have done if branded with O2 logos and get another one. He can then look at dirt cheap sim only deals to reduce monthly payments when his contract finishes so he is no longer tied to any one carrier.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I've got 12 months left on my iphone 5, pay about 37 a month, is it basically 12x37 i'd have to pay -25% discount to do the o2 refresh ??

Yeah. There's an app - my02 - that'll tell you exactly.

• Upvote 1

I know its difficult, but have you considered divorce?

• 2 weeks later...

I wondered how long it would take you!

Perhaps I should have said, all helpful advice greatly appreciated

Does this site do helpful advice? I will try ,buy what ever Icrap device you prefer cash and stick your sim in it. (if you can obviously). This gives you the option of signing a new contract when the current one expires and selling  the icrap and recouping a few quid and him indoors gets two new phones in a year and you will be well in the good books.

Oh, indeed, behind the flippant exterior there are many good people willing to share their own professional or personal experiences.

Thanks for yours but the phone is for my son set on having an iphone; I'm just looking for help to steer him to the best phone for his needs and budget

Next question. 16 or 32gb?

What was his last mobile? Which had a test this or last month with how much free storage mobile phones actually had when the OS and bloatware was installed.

Storage-3.jpg

Unless he needs much space for movies and songs, I think 16 GB is more than fine.