You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: Michael Owen - An unloved legend (ESPN article)

tlw content

Guest Pistonbroke

This was the clip I was after

Hahaha, the bit where he slowly turns round with a childish grin on his face. Bet the cunt earned enough to buy a new house off the back of that shite. 

Have never been able to dislike Owen. I've never seen a young player carry a club so completely on his shoulders and, let's face it, to the cost of his own health.

Also, taken in context of the whole 'Spice boys' era, he was the ultimate pro and never gave any less than his best.

Don't get me wrong, he's a boring lad and I never had any real affinity to him as a character the way I did the likes of Fowler, but I've got no bad feelings toward the wee man.

• Upvote 5

To be honest, most of the things we get blamed for in regards to Owen's career being derailed just aren't true. They are myths propagated by Ferguson and his players. 

The only thing we are culpable for is not bringing a physio in to rehab him during the summer (after his hamstring went).

There's no higher incidence of hamstring injuries caused by players playing regularly at a young age. Otherwise Rooney, Sterling, Alli etc would exhibit signs of this phenomena.

Not saying it didn't hamper him later on, because it did, but this stuff about making him sprint as a child and it causing his hamstrings to go is a Ferguson invention, in his own head. 

Didn't have much time for him when he left, lied about just needing to put pen to paper on that contract too. Once he signed for the scum he became a cunt.

Owen has always been all about Owen and his England profile in the media gave the impression he cared more about England than Liverpool. Missing out on a CL by not staying for Rafa's first season and then joining the mancs made him a cunt for me. He's also an awful analyst but he's far from alone on that score.

PS Owen's demise,injuries in particular,were self inflicted.

Never understand the ill feeling with Owen looking back now with him leaving before the CL. With him in the side who says we would have gotten as far as Istanbul and even won it.

Still, hated him at the time when he left as he left for peanuts and we got screwed out of money and also when he signed for the mancs.

These days though I just don't even think of him.

• 2 weeks later...
Is this clown still an ambassador for Liverpool FC?

Michael Owen has once again managed to annoy Liverpool supporters.

Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema conducted an interview with Canal+ and he was shown a video message from the aforementioned Owen, who thanked the French striker for allowing him to join United in 2009.

“I’ve got a lot to thank him for,” Owen said. “He might not know, but I wouldn’t have gone to Manchester United if it wasn’t for Benzema because I think Manchester United wanted to buy Benzema and he chose Real Madrid and I was told by Sir Alex Ferguson ‘we want Benzema but if Benzema doesn’t come, then you’re coming’.

Is this clown still an ambassador for Liverpool FC?

Michael Owen has once again managed to annoy Liverpool supporters.

Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema conducted an interview with Canal+ and he was shown a video message from the aforementioned Owen, who thanked the French striker for allowing him to join United in 2009.

“I’ve got a lot to thank him for,” Owen said. “He might not know, but I wouldn’t have gone to Manchester United if it wasn’t for Benzema because I think Manchester United wanted to buy Benzema and he chose Real Madrid and I was told by Sir Alex Ferguson ‘we want Benzema but if Benzema doesn’t come, then you’re coming’.

We seem very easy to annoy these days don't we ?

From memory he was being touted around the likes of Stoke & ended up at Man United so I can see why he was happier, is it that big a deal ?

From memory he was being touted around the likes of Stoke & ended up at Man United so I can see why he was happier, is it that big a deal ?

I just think the idea of having an ex red and man u player who is obviously not suffering hard times was a stupid idea in the first place. He's never really shown much 'love' for our club,it was always very much business for him. Which is fine for a footballer but don't make him a club ambassador if he has always been that way.

I just think the idea of having an ex red and man u player who is obviously not suffering hard times was a stupid idea in the first place. He's never really shown much 'love' for our club,it was always very much business for him. Which is fine for a footballer but don't make him a club ambassador if he has always been that way.

Owen club ambassador, Barnes not.

One has the respect of every red, the other a jumped up little shit loved by no-one.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

His folder when getting touted around was a brilliant masterpiece of delusion of grandeur.

Narcissitic England loving manc bellend.

I hate the little rat, he is like the one friend that always used to grass you up, when being you were younger.

I loved him though, when he was here except the last year, when he acted a real twat. Undermining and scheming to a McMoneyman. Fuck him. Not worth a breath of air. Sweet memories though for that one over a far superior Arsenal team.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

He was a great player for us, and burned out early.

He pulled a fast one to get himself out of the club to go abroad.  He then returned to the UK and went to a sworn enemy when he couldn't get arrested over here after falling out of favour abroad.  Tried to come back but realised that was never going to happen.  A familiar story, though one with less duplicity where Owen was concerned.