You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stoke(A) Match Thread

LFC 6 Times

The penalty seems pretty valid in slo-mo. Sterling is in control of the ball and leans his body to cut in front of the defender, who clips Sterling's leg slightly and it's enough to floor him. Nearly every time a defender throws his arms in the air to indicate innocence, he's guilty. Ferdinand always used to do it after scything someone, leading me to name this gesticulation the 'Rio Ferdihands' whenever I see it.

• Upvote 2

Yeah the back 4 looked extremely dodgy but quite conceivably 4 changes could be made Flanagan in for Johnson, Sakho for Skrtel, Agger for Toure and Enrique for Cissokho, I know the back 4 are not entirely culpable for shipping the goals as the midfield just did not function today, I really don't like Stevie in that role and Lucas presence is counter productive when used more advanced. M'vila would be a great signing and could bolster our midfield.

• Downvote 1

I wonder if the Stoke fans in uproar at Rodgers innocuous penalty comment will be equally outraged at one of their own racially abusing Glen Johnson?

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/BB57AEDFD11034199421262401536_10a5bb5dde7.4.6.11873402522004148802_aMjp8p_qtGgQbxs5pVx7hGkh.sfVcF7PIsq07pIA4HSTa1bLjUPKKk51fWsxQ1JW.mp4?versionId=F7Y6B5v7UOwwyLsFPtZyk7.8LE6VIekm

The penalty seems pretty valid in slo-mo. Sterling is in control of the ball and leans his body to cut in front of the defender, who clips Sterling's leg slightly and it's enough to floor him.

I thought it was more that the defender knocked him off balance without touching the ball.

It was very soft, but I still think it was a pen. Then again it is every time Skrtel defends a corner kick too.

I thought it was more that the defender knocked him off balance without touching the ball.

It was very soft, but I still think it was a pen. Then again it is every time Skrtel defends a corner kick too.

The fact he was so far from the ball made up the refs mind I think. Agree about Skrtel, it's something I don’t think he'll get away with for too much longer.

Rollercoaster doesn't begin to cover that.

I am not going to complain too bitterly about the concession of goals, as we have seemingly made the decision to outscore teams by playing all of our better attacking players even if they are all tiny and very little help defensively.

The full backs have been terrible, but having Sterling & Coutinho ' covering ' them doesn't help them at all & they often find themselves in 2 on 1 's.

I think Brendan needs to get a good defensive-minded player in ( M'Vila hopefully ) and choose a central defensive 2 & stick to it ( injuries permitting ).

Oh , and about Skrtel at corners, if you are watching MOTD later, have a look at the City corner late on where Negredo's header gets blocked by Krul's leg. It looks like an Olympic wrestling final with all the Barcodes defenders putting headlocks on the attackers. Strangely, this wasn't mentioned by the commentators.

Shit defending, but 3 points and back in the top 4 at our bogey ground. What's not to like?

Mignolet's form is a little worry for me. Done very well to stop Stevie's goal bound header but should have stopped their third goal. Also needs to learn to catch the ball when he has the opportunity rather than choosing to punch.

Shit defending, but 3 points and back in the top 4 at our bogey ground. What's not to like?

Mignolet's form is a little worry for me. Done very well to stop Stevie's goal bound header but should have stopped their third goal. Also needs to learn to catch the ball when he has the opportunity rather than choosing to punch.

Should have done much better. But, a horrendous goal, all round. Started by Gerrard bullying Lucas by shouting for him to leave it, but then gave it away straight away, putting us right on the back foot.

This idea of  Gerrard being the holding player must have some bearing on why we would buy M'villa. If the captain has convinced the manager he is the man to look after the back four then why spend good money on a player who is head and shoulders above the captain in that responsible role game on game.

He cannot become a defensive midfield player overnight. Buy M'villa and play Gerrard and Allen in front,or Henderson and Allen.

You could say that Mignolet should have done better with the third goal but I think it looked worse than it was because it was close to him. The real blame for that goal lies with Gerrard.

I do think he needs to get better with crosses tough. He either needs to catch the ball or punch it properly, because at the moment h does neither.

I think it's a really good sign that we keep going and are winning games like this, it's a cliché but we've been losing matches against shite sides when our heads go down for years. We look like we always believe we can score now and long may it continue. I still think if we come up against a good quality European side that plays tactically we'll struggle, but against the rank and file of the Premiership we can have a field day - and that's how the mancs have rolled for decades.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

IMO, biggest win of the season so far given how the other results went and fact that this was our second most difficult remaining away game. 

Just glanced at the log - we've now played every team in the top 13 away apart from Southampton and Man U (not particularly intimidating fixtures these days). Great advantage to have for the run-in with the top 6 so bunched together.

Fantastic game to watch for a neutral.

The early goal probably got Liverpool settled quickly, and whilst it was lucky, the better you play, the luckier you get (paraphrased).

I thought the penalty was soft. It those are given against you, I think you'd be upset, but if not given for you, you probably just shrug your shoulders and say "seen 'em given", but not feel too aggrieved. But, you win some and you lose some, and the ref gave it. Like I say 'soft' (in my opinion) but you can see why it's been given. It's certainly not a dive.

The better team won, but fair play to Stoke... they did actually try and give Liverpool a game instead of parking the bus.

Regarding the remaining fixtures.... Liverpool have almost all the top teams at home, and I'd expect them to win at least half of them, so I think it's a fair bet that Liverpool will still have a huge say in who the top 4 are.

I wouldn't say the game left neutrals thinking 'wow', but it did show the resilient side of Liverpool. Sure, they can lose a lead, but they can come back a second and third time....  and that's part of what makes the top teams stand out.

Game of the weekend by far.

• Upvote 1

Much better in the second half from Gerrard,  Ropey at the back throughout with Crouch running wild and Mignolet indecisive.  We have two strikers who gobble up half chances so it's looking good.   Hopefully Sturridge will stay fit, him and Suarez were buzzing off each other today.  

well it was a probably a great game for neutrals but I certainly didn't enjoy watching it but we got the win and thats what matters and that match just goes to show how much of a difference two class strikers makes.

Didn't think it was a penalty to be fair and that goal was certainly the key one of the game but I think we were due some luck at that ground, showed good character and certainly wouldn't have won that game in previous seasons

• Upvote 1

Not arse about the pen if it hasn't been mentioned on this thread already I remember Walters winning the game a few season ago after going down like a beached whale when tussling with Carragher.

Not much mentioned about that at the time.....

oh yeah forgot to mention beating Stoke always feels that little bit better than it normally would just because you can tell Walters is probably a huge gobshite regarding us