You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2014

DanDanShaw

Just watched the Eubank Saunders press conference. Some eerie similarities with the build-up to his Dad's first bout against Nigel. Staying composed to the point of detachment while his opponent is obviously riled by him (and even more so by that) and wants to engage, the stuff about unpronouncable Latvian fighters from Saunders mirroring Benn's Mexican road-sweepers jibe, even refusing the stare-down had echoes of "You'll know when I'm looking at you as I'll be spanking you" as a tactic. Can anyone confirm whether Tibbs was in Benn's corner for that fight?* Jnr'll be asking for some parliamentary procedure next.

* Only trained him for the rematch by the looks of it, not the iconic first fight where all the best lines were used in the lead-up. Not suggesting this has anything like the electricity that had in the build-up, but there are things which are reminding me of it.

That Bellew/Cleverly fight was a massive fix. Cleverly backing up like that for so long, Bellew should have killed him. I hope fans boycott and 3rd fight.

Mayweather is scared of Pacquiao. Has been for years.

Not arsed about Fury/Chisora. I want to see Joshua enter the fray mid-fight WWF style and lay out the pair of them.

Not arsed about Fury/Chisora. I want to see Joshua enter the fray mid-fight WWF style and lay out the pair of them.

As good as that would be I'd love to actually hear -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOzjBO2dsmY

And see him stunner both of them, the ref, and all three judges, before throwing about 50 of those coke can sized beers on his face.

• Upvote 2

Views on Fury Chisora?

Looking forward to it but purely for comedic cabaret value after the Eubank/Saunders fight.

Heavyweight division has become a running joke in Britain, the same handful of little dogs yapping away at each other in their yard.  This fight isn't going to tell me anything about either fighter, Chisora is a massive bellend and Fury is a big daft lummox, Klitschko could probably take the pair of them on at once and win it on points.

Eubank/Saunders I'm really up for though.  I haven't seen much of Eubank since he first turned pro but I thought he looked to have a lot of promise, hopefully has the potential to be a cracking fight.

Errrr...

Mickey Rourke wins exhibition boxing match

Hollywood actor Mickey Rourke has won an exhibition boxing match in Moscow after returning to the ring for the first time in 20 years.

The Wrestler star, 62, defeated Elliot Seymour - a former California Golden Gloves champion 33 years his junior.

Rourke sent Seymour to the canvas twice in the second round before the referee stopped the fight.

The Oscar nominated actor was an amateur boxer before finding fame in Hollywood movies such as 9 1/2 Weeks.

The organisers of the match said the boxers were receiving "large amounts of money" in fees but declined to give details.

"I'm very happy to be back to the boxing ring. Thank God for letting me do this", Rourke said ahead of his fight with 29-year-old Seymour.

He refused to go into detail about his motivations for returning to the ring, but told Russian TV boxing had "sort of saved me from myself".

The actor is reported to have lost more than 33lbs (15kg) for the fight, weighing in at 179.2lbs (81.3kg), the same as his rival.

Seymour is ranked 256th in the United States and before the fight with Rourke had one knockout and nine losses in 10 bouts.

Rourke returned to boxing as a professional in the 1990s and was undefeated in eight fights, with six wins and two draws.

However he suffered a number of facial injuries, which required surgery and changed his appearance.

In 2008 Rourke won a Bafta and Golden Globe for his role in the film The Wrestler, which told the tale of a former wrestling professional who decided to return to the sport.

He was also nominated for a best actor Oscar, but lost out to Sean Penn in Milk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30254007