You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The XBMC thread - What it is, how it works etc...

Sugar Ape

Do you just copy and paste or is it as I am guessing a little more complicated?

It is a bit more than that but it is not so hard. Just follow the video on that link. Some USB sticks work better than others. I use this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-JetFlash-Flash-Drive-TS8GJF700/dp/B004HC5IPE

The OpenElec files you need are here. Get the newest one (4.0.7)

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5ungh8fae6n44/R-Pi_Openelec_USB_Builds

• Upvote 1

Also what power cable do you use because I got a pre installed pi and some people say the cable that comes with it isnt great.

I am using a really cheap one off ebay. It works great but don't do that because the one's off Farnell are cheap and supposed to work well with the Pi.

http://cpc.farnell.com/stontronics/t5582dv/psu-raspberry-pi-5v-2a-uk-euro/dp/SC13463

Stick with the one you have for now though. 

I set up the dongle now but installed raspbmc instead of Open Elec to see if its any good.

Istream is fucked though, says its incompatable. So using GoTv and Yify instead.

OpenElec is quicker.

You can use iStream as an addon now. Use that instead of the iStream installer.

This is great for installing addons and repositories. Makes things much easier.

Cheers for that one. I was close to giving up with xbmc but that's brilliant for getting it all up to date.

I've just managed to get xbmc playing through my phone onto my telly via chromecast as well. Took me ages to get it working but now it does its making my sky movies subscription redundant very shortly. If anyone's interested how to do it without having to sit through loads of unhelpful YouTube videos give me a shout.

All you people who have success with xbmc,have you got fast internet connections?

When i say fast I mean over 3mbps!

Mine is about 9mb

I haven't used it much for live telly, but I have had no issues at all with films and boxsets. I fucking love it!

Following on from my streaming from phone to chromecast I've now encountered a problem. The chromecast won't stream live tv so the footy is out of the question now. To watch it on my phone I've got to remove a file beforehand and then put it back in when i want to watch a film on my telly again. Pain in the arse just to watch a match on a 5" screen compared to a 47". What's the best way to stream footy to my telly now? I've seen phone to hdmi cables but again this looks a pain in the arse so I cry out to the nerds, I need your help.

Following on from my streaming from phone to chromecast I've now encountered a problem. The chromecast won't stream live tv so the footy is out of the question now. To watch it on my phone I've got to remove a file beforehand and then put it back in when i want to watch a film on my telly again. Pain in the arse just to watch a match on a 5" screen compared to a 47". What's the best way to stream footy to my telly now? I've seen phone to hdmi cables but again this looks a pain in the arse so I cry out to the nerds, I need your help.

F****R****t is back working and introducing Chromecast so that will be an option.

• 4 weeks later...