You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bit coins

Rico1304

="bri" post="3634711" timestamp="1389121614"]how do you invest in lite coins?

https://btc-e.com

Swerve bitcoins for now. I sold mine after the China incident reduced their value dramatically but I'd bought them very early on. Probably should have hung in there but such is life.

Litecoin is worth an investment, or not, if they fall / fail you won't lose much at this point.

The hardest part in the UK is actually buying them as cash can only be deposited in nonreversible transfers, so no PayPal or credit card.

Once you get the coins and they are held on the exchange (btc-e is the most reputable) transfer them to your wallet (software on your machine) back them up to an external hard drive and put it somewhere safe.

Or a landfill site in Newport

So what your saying it I need to tamper with the data center at work and become a miner

Years back I worked at a software house where the sys admin claimed he had put bitcoin miners on the companies server blades.  He's not loaded now so I imagine it was bollocks.  He could have made a fortune.  

Blade servers now are all CPU power so no good for harvesting bitcoins or any coin really.  Early on people would use cloud based computational-power-for-hire places like Amazon web services or rackspace because the profit from the coins was more than the cost of hiring them, but now it is not efficient.

This is what a decent litecoin mining machine looks like:

1482-75-Graphic-Mine-mod.jpg

It is essentially as many high-spec overclocked graphics cards hooked to a motherboard and as many fans as can keep the hardware from failing.

I've been mining dogecoins for the lulz lately.  The UI for the wallet is amazing...

739.png

Maybe this should be moved to tech nerdy, because I am asperging out here.  I fucking love technology.

• 3 years later...