You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bit coins

Rico1304

Does anyone on here have them? Being a Luddite I don't really understand how they work but heard a bloke on the radio the other day saying he's invested some of his pension in them.

Lily Allen tweeted last night that a few years ago she was offered hundreds of thousands of bit coins to live stream a concert. She turned them down...even if they'd 'only' offered her 200,000 that would be worth £115m today.

No point having a fortune in bitcoin because you can't cash out on it. Converting them into other currency is difficult at any kind of scale, so the only way to make use of them is in the black market.Maybe this will change, but maybe they will be made illegal before that can happen. China has already pulled the plug, and won't be the last country to do so.

• Upvote 1

No point having a fortune in bitcoin because you can't cash out on it. Converting them into other currency is difficult at any kind of scale, so the only way to make use of them is in the black market.Maybe this will change, but maybe they will be made illegal before that can happen. China has already pulled the plug, and won't be the last country to do so.

This is only partially true.

Isn't the main effective purpose of a crypto currency to make money laundering and black market exchange easier though? I'm not sure it's a good thing necessarily.

I think the main purpose of a crypto currency differs relative to the state of the fiat currency.

I accept that, unfortunately, one group of financial gangsters would probably replace another, and possibly eventually just be the same people.

I'd personally just prefer a revolution that reclaimed the system rather than destroyed it. I've no idea what would be easier though. Both seem almost impossible.

• Upvote 1

Bitcoin moves like stocks/shares. Its not a currency really. The time to buy Bitcoin is over. Those in at the start made the big gains.

Not all people buying Bitcoin are in it to make "big gains". Its an attempt to release the shackles of the fucking cunts who's only interest in life is making "big gains".

• Upvote 1

I'm not really to close to the detail regarding bitcoin but the state of the economy now is that the cart is pulling the horse. You have commercial banks driving the economy instead of the other way around. Banks creating money from thin air and thn charging people interest on it. The system is fucked. Money can only be created through debt. How crazy is that!? I'm kind of hoping that bitcoin will be, if not the answer then perhaps an idea to build on which will see the power being taken away from banks and put back into the hands of the people.

Neither you, or anyone else, can say that conclusively. In fact its an utterly absurd thing to say.

Bubbles come and bubbles go. Boom and bust is built into the global monetry system. However, I don't see it collapsing until those in control want it to, and when they do that, they 'll have an alternative in place. We're all customers and the show must go on

The true solution is not crypto currency. Its placing the existing means of exchange into the commons - instead of the current setup where we the people have to RENT the means of exchange from private banks who have a heavily discounted monopoly to create it in the heart of a so called free market.