You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

We're not a final destination and have no desire to be one. 

That's because final destinations, if I understand your definition properly, are propped up by corruption or are in danger of going bankrupt.

If you think Bayern are a 'final destination', you haven't been paying attention, and Mane doesn't prove anything.

They needed him because their main player has asked to leave to Barcelona and their best winger is refusing their contract offer.

Plus, Thiago and Alaba both fucked them off in the last 2 summers for what they deemed to be better destinations.

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

It has nothing to do with warm weather. Mane hasn't gone to Munich for the sunshine. We don't pay the wages of any type of final destination and have no desire to do so. As for other English clubs, both Manchester clubs have been or are. And frankly we're not any other English club, I don't think we should be measuring ourselves against no mark clubs. The club claims to want to be a final destination club, but actions speak far louder than words. 

Could not agree more with this. Comments like Salah is greedy, he has not been playing for free etc are totally irrelevant. He has been among the top 3 strikers in the world in recent times and from his perspective it's only right to expect to be compensated accordingly. It also has nothing to do with "he wants more than Van Dijk" either.

If I get 50 or 100% payrise elsewhere I will be there before I can blink. It's not different for him. 

Until the club accept that they have to fork out top dollar for top dollar players then we will just be a stop for players on the way to PSG or City or Barca or Real.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Until the club accept that they have to fork out top dollar for top dollar players then we will just be a stop for players on the way to PSG or City or Barca or Real.

Half of the "final" destinations have never won the big one? Seems strange.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Half of the "final" destinations have never won the big one? Seems strange.

Not sure what your point is. There is no guarantee of winning the big one at any club. But there might be a guarantee of getting paid shit lots for the next 3/4 years at one of those clubs. 

3 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

if paying a player a half a million a week, leads us down the same road that Barcelona are currently on, then i for one, would not be happy with that. 

its not sustainable, unless you're being bankrolled by a sovereign state. and we're not

Who's to say it will take half a million? Nobody knows it has to be that high. The leak the other week said we offered him a 15% pay rise, which would leave him on about the same as Marcus rashford. 

2 hours ago, Trojan1892 said:

I think he does and that’s why I think he’ll end up there, any hope of an extension is dead in the water which is ridiculous tbh.

Hes got 4/5 years still left in him at the top, the other consideration is the cost to replace him, it’s baffling.

My guess is because he's free one of the Spanish two will be able to find a salary he is happy with. 

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Thiago and Mane are obviously comparable. Both top players, 30 years old, fancied a change of scene. One went from Munich to us, the other from us to Munich.

Either probably could have valued more money and pushed for an oil club but they preferred to go for a team they fancied playing for who will be challenging for the big trophies. Although both obviously didn’t come cheap.

”Final Destination” is a weird way of putting it, but obviously FSG have a strategy. They don’t want to pay absolutely top whack in wages, they don’t commit too much to players pushing 30 or too much for young players who aren’t proven.

There’s probably only Real Madrid out of the non-oil clubs who are more of a draw than us at the moment I would say.

If Barcelona and Man Utd got their act together then they have both shown more willing to splash the cash, but they are both basket cases.

Thiago came here because he accepted a salary where he wasn't even our top earner. Now it could be argued that's because that's what his market price was. It might be because working for klopp made him accept less. It doesn't matter which of those two reasons, he wasn't demanding the salary of a world class player. To give a comparison, he earns about the same as Thomas Partey, who is fucking shite and less than ngolo kante. So i dont think the two are remotely comparable - Mane has just left Liverpool for a salary that is 50% more than our top earner. And he hasn't gone to a petro club. 

• Upvote 1

I think people shouldn't think it is only about the money when it comes to Salah.

There is the possibility he also wants a 4 year contract and the club want to give him only a 2 year deal or something like that. The length of contract when a player turns 30 is usually a sticking point in negotiations.

14 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He wasn't the top earner at Bayern - I think he makes the same - or maybe even a little more here.

Probably not. I would argue it's because he's not world class and is always injured and he earns his market rate. But that doesn't really matter in this context. He accepted a salary that we can hit. Mane hasn't and it's not even close. 

8 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

I think people shouldn't think it is only about the money when it comes to Salah.

There is the possibility he also wants a 4 year contract and the club want to give him only a 2 year deal or something like that. The length of contract when a player turns 30 is usually a sticking point in negotiations.

His agent has leaked he'd be very happy with a 2 year deal as he believes he will be still top of his game in 2 years. 

38 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

His agent has leaked he'd be very happy with a 2 year deal as he believes he will be still top of his game in 2 years. 

I wonder if we will see the club move towards a policy of trying to keep players tied down until they are like 31 moving forwards. For instance, if they have a 26/27 year old offer them terms to take them to 31.

Had they been able to have this discussion with Mo and Sadio 2 years ago (without the pandemic) and without a threat of an imminent deadline maybe the result would be very different.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm looking forward to him going all guns blazing for the title next season. He can then go with everyones blessing (provided it's abroad). 

he would go with anyones blessing anyway. Absolute legend. 

Be interesting to see if it affects him. Didn't seem himself from Feb onwards. Whether that was purely down to African Nations loss or whether it was the contract talk we can't say. I personally think his immature agent isn't helping him one iota though.

5 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Be interesting to see if it affects him. Didn't seem himself from Feb onwards. Whether that was purely down to African Nations loss or whether it was the contract talk we can't say. I personally think his immature agent isn't helping him one iota though.

To be honest I can't imagine his agent impacts him at all. Sure he creates noise, but there would be noise regardless as he's one of the world's top talents and his contract is running down. Salah says very little beyond he wants to stay and allows his agent to do all the dirty work and take all the shit on his behalf. I think personally his agent is his lightening rod. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

To be honest I can't imagine his agent impacts him at all. Sure he creates noise, but there would be noise regardless as he's one of the world's top talents and his contract is running down. Salah says very little beyond he wants to stay and allows his agent to do all the dirty work and take all the shit on his behalf. I think personally his agent is his lightening rod. 

If his agent thought it was a good idea to leak that he would go to another PL club then he is an idiot. 

So unless that is the club leaking a lie that isn't going to help him.

If he starts like a house on fire then it probably won't be an issue. But if he starts like he played much of the last few months then he will get some stick at the ground. 

18 minutes ago, HBenn said:

If his agent thought it was a good idea to leak that he would go to another PL club then he is an idiot. 

So unless that is the club leaking a lie that isn't going to help him.

If he starts like a house on fire then it probably won't be an issue. But if he starts like he played much of the last few months then he will get some stick at the ground. 

If his agent said fuck all and he comes into his last year of his contract and he plays shite, all the same criticisms exist for those who will want to believe his form is poor because his heart isn't in the job or distracted by the contract dispute - in fact that accusation has already been thrown at him over the 2nd half of the season, which was before his agent leaked about being willing to play for another PL side. This is the balancing act all footballers have who choose to run down their contract. Personally I don't think what the agent says makes any difference, he needs to perform and if he doesn't there are certain fans who'll let him know. 

25 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

If his agent said fuck all and he comes into his last year of his contract and he plays shite, all the same criticisms exist for those who will want to believe his form is poor because his heart isn't in the job or distracted by the contract dispute - in fact that accusation has already been thrown at him over the 2nd half of the season, which was before his agent leaked about being willing to play for another PL side. This is the balancing act all footballers have who choose to run down their contract. Personally I don't think what the agent says makes any difference, he needs to perform and if he doesn't there are certain fans who'll let him know. 

On the basis that only City, Utd or Chelsea could afford his wages, how smart is it to make it known he would happily play for any of them?

Not playing well is one thing, making it public that he would happily play for teams that we will compete in the league against is just dumb. How does it help him in any way? 

Some people dislike the way the club is run so much, they will totally sweep aside that he's threatened to sign for another English club as a negotiation tactic. Meanwhile, Mané has gotten criticized because he had the audacity to call Bayern a big club when he signed for them. Sick forum.

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. Usually, 30 year old players who are still in good condition would want the security of a 3 year deal at the least.