You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Gnabry makes so much sense for this summer and as insurance for next year.

(Wages demands permitting)

Gnabry makes sense as a player but it doesn't make sense that we would pay him the wages that Bayern aren't willing to pay him.

18 hours ago, Nelly-Matip said:

But, if he did go to City on a free, then that would smart a bit, to be honest. We should do whatever we can to try and avoid that happening. 

If that happened I'm fucking done with this sport. I'm close to it as it is but that would do it for me. 

53 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

If that happened I'm fucking done with this sport. I'm close to it as it is but that would do it for me. 

Would you really find it that upsetting or surprising? It seems his most likely destination to me. He wants to be one of the top 6 earners in the world (based on the leaks from his agent a little while ago) and he and his family are settled in Cheshire. City will be able to pay him what he wants, plus some more off the books. And his family don't have to move house. 

City are clearing out some of their forward line as well this summer. Sterling and Jesus are meant to be off.

Could be the plan to go a forward light this year, give this Alvarez kid some time, play Bernardo or De Bruyne in the forward line if necessary, then go big on Mo next summer. Mahrez will be out of contract next summer too.

That said I don't see it happening. Have felt all along he's bound for PSG and I still get that feeling. Much like Mane at Bayern he'll be able to take it easy for most of the season to stay fresh for internationals and the latter stages of the Champions League.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Would you really find it that upsetting or surprising? It seems his most likely destination to me. He wants to be one of the top 6 earners in the world (based on the leaks from his agent a little while ago) and he and his family are settled in Cheshire. City will be able to pay him what he wants, plus some more off the books. And his family don't have to move house. 

I club legend (or would have been) moving to a closely matched or bitter rival purely for more money at the end of his contract would be breaking new ground though, at least for us.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, kemskem said:

I club legend (or would have been) moving to a closely matched or bitter rival purely for more money at the end of his contract would be breaking new ground though, at least for us.

It's football and has happened for as long as I can remember, it's not new - except bosman obviously gives players complete freedom. But it didn't stop Torres joining Chelsea as an example. In fact iirc, LFC accepted a bid from Chelsea for Steven Gerrard after he won the European cup with us. Or barmby joining us. Plus millions of others over the years, like sol Campbell spurs to arsenal. Or figo to Madrid. 

The lad is a gun for hire. We don't want to pay. We can't be surprised if he goes somewhere who will. 

Keep it simple, love the team and not the player. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's football and has happened for as long as I can remember, it's not new - except bosman obviously gives players complete freedom. But it didn't stop Torres joining Chelsea as an example. In fact iirc, LFC accepted a bid from Chelsea for Steven Gerrard after he won the European cup with us. Or barmby joining us. Plus millions of others over the years, like sol Campbell spurs to arsenal. Or figo to Madrid. 

The lad is a gun for hire. We don't want to pay. We can't be surprised if he goes somewhere who will. 

Keep it simple, love the team and not the player. 

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I'd argue the scenario with Salah is slightly different. We were a basket case when Torres left, and a million miles from Chelsea when Gerrard was on the cusp of leaving.

Players like Campbell and Figo left early enough in their careers (both around 27) to cement themselves as legends at their new clubs. 

Salah would be 31, probably there for two or maybe three years, and pissing over any legacy he's built here. We've not seen that kind of thing before, where a player has won everything, then left to a direct rival for money.

Still think PSG beckons. Messi hobbles away to Inter Miami or whatever and Mo pinches a chunk of those wages.

13 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It’s miles different. If he leaves on a free and chooses to go to Man City he’d become a hate figure here, pissing away his legacy as one of our all time greats. 

If he goes to City I'd genuinely hate him.

44 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I'd argue the scenario with Salah is slightly different. We were a basket case when Torres left, and a million miles from Chelsea when Gerrard was on the cusp of leaving.

Players like Campbell and Figo left early enough in their careers (both around 27) to cement themselves as legends at their new clubs. 

Salah would be 31, probably there for two or maybe three years, and pissing over any legacy he's built here. We've not seen that kind of thing before, where a player has won everything, then left to a direct rival for money.

Still think PSG beckons. Messi hobbles away to Inter Miami or whatever and Mo pinches a chunk of those wages.

We were European champions when Gerrard tried to leave. 

Do you think Salah cares about his legacy as a Liverpool footballer? I'd have thought he's more likely to care if he's regarded as one of the world's finest players and like it or not, these lads use wages to measure that. 

I think too many people believe these fellas care about the club and relationship with the fans like we do. They just don't. Even a relatively local lad like Michael Owen didn't see the harm of sitting on the bench at Manchester United might harm his legacy here. He just didn't care, he only cared about himself. 

Getting upset about a footballer moving to a rival is like getting wound up about a whore you like fucked your mate too. I've wasted way too much energy worrying about footballers in the past. Torres was the one where I finally realised their words mean absolutely nothing and it's all about the dance of raising their profile while they're here. 

From a financial point of view I don't think it would even benefit him. Isn't he one of the highest earning players in the world for image rights and such? Becoming a hate figure to so many would destroy the brand he's created.  

Plus he's not a cunt, he wouldn't do it, I'm 99.9% confident of that. Imagine seeing Klopp block your number, you can't put a price on that.

11 minutes ago, No2 said:

From a financial point of view I don't think it would even benefit him. Isn't he one of the highest earning players in the world for image rights and such? Becoming a hate figure to so many would destroy the brand he's created.  

Plus he's not a cunt, he wouldn't do it, I'm 99.9% confident of that. Imagine seeing Klopp block your number, you can't put a price on that.

But aren't most of those off field earnings because he's an African and Muslim star? Do they care where he plays his football? We see all the time with players who have these enormous social media following that their followers move with them club to club.