You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

There's a difference though. Mane wants out, so needs to play ball so Liverpool accept a fee that allows him to go to his preferred destination. I think it's clear Mo wants to stay, but he wants to stay if he's paid what he believes is an appropriate amount, so his agent is trying every trick in the book to get Liverpool to a point where there's a negotiation can happen. 

I dont think Mo's agent is playing the 'force their hand' game particularly well.

If Salah gave the slightest indication that he'd accept a move this summer I'd sell both him and Mane.

It's counter intuitive in terms of squad building and progression planning but I'd rather give Klopp a year to bed in new players and a three year run than a staggered set of significant replacements.

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

There's a difference though. Mane wants out, so needs to play ball so Liverpool accept a fee that allows him to go to his preferred destination. I think it's clear Mo wants to stay, but he wants to stay if he's paid what he believes is an appropriate amount, so his agent is trying every trick in the book to get Liverpool to a point where there's a negotiation can happen. 

Does Mané want out though? Or is he just accepting that the club aren't that desperate to keep him and is looking to get himself a better deal somewhere else? 

I don't think he 'wants' to go but rather he is prepared to. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised if his preferred option wasn't to stay here with a nice pay rise.

Pearce's article said Billy Hogan is personally dealing with the Salah offer. For me that's a clear indication they know we have no chance of retaining him and we don't want Ward associated with failure on day one.

12 minutes ago, dave u said:

Does Mané want out though? Or is he just accepting that the club aren't that desperate to keep him and is looking to get himself a better deal somewhere else? 

I don't think he 'wants' to go but rather he is prepared to. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised if his preferred option wasn't to stay here with a nice pay rise.

It can be argued that is the exact position Salah feels he's in. The club aren't desperate to keep him and is looking to get a better deal elsewhere. Only one of them has ever said he's wanted to stay. The other spent last week leading some to think he was staying with his big announcement after the final. I didn't believe that for a second, there was no need to hold off announcing he was staying and it was clear he wanted out. 

34 minutes ago, dave u said:

Well it doesn't seem like Liverpool have been particularly bothered about tying Sadio down either. Trying to do a deal with Salah but realising it's unlikely and he'll leave for nothing, so Mané is the sacrificial lamb here as they can get a fee for him.

That's how I read it. The original plan for our front three was one renews, one gets sold, and one sees out their contract. A staggered changing of the old guard.

Salah was clearly the one we were pushing for renewal, which put Mané as the most saleable asset. Given his form second half of the season, and Salah's nosedive, I don't blame him for assessing his options. 

Salah not looking likely to sign has left us a bit in shit creek, with two players unlikely to renew, so if we want any fee we'll have to sell Mané now. 

On 02/06/2022 at 12:50, No2 said:

Pearce's article said Billy Hogan is personally dealing with the Salah offer. For me that's a clear indication they know we have no chance of retaining him and we don't want Ward associated with failure on day one.

That's not a clear indication of any such thing. Not unless hermeneutics suddenly became a Rorschach test. 

Egypt manager Ehab Galal has claimed that Mo Salah played through injury in their 1-0 win over Guinea, having “rejected Liverpool’s request” for a scan.

Egypt scraped to a 1-0 win at home to Guinea in their Africa Cup of Nations qualifier on Sunday evening, with both Salah and Naby Keita playing the full 90 minutes.

The high-profile clash came just over a week on from the Champions League final, which was Salah’s first start in a fortnight after suffering a groin injury during the FA Cup final.

Now, the 29-year-old is claimed to be carrying an injury that Liverpool were eager for him to have scanned prior to the current run of AFCON qualifiers.

But Galal, who took over from Carlos Queiroz in April, told reporters after the game that Salah “rejected” that request and “played through” the issue.

“Salah was suffering from an injury and played through it,” Galal is quoted by KingFut.

“He rejected Liverpool’s request for an X-ray before the game and will now undergo it.”

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

What the fuck happens to these players minds when they go away with their international teams? 

They've just had a full season of football, now FIFA and the national FAs are taking their slice. It's ludicrous. 

Don't get me started on the Nation's League! 

8 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

They've just had a full season of football, now FIFA and the national FAs are taking their slice. It's ludicrous. 

Don't get me started on the Nation's League! 

They're going to play international football, I accept that. It's the idea they will fuck off a scan just in case it shows something they don't like and just play regardless. I find it astonishing the clubs have no control over this and the players are stupid enough to do it. We keep hearing what great professionals they all are these days and then they behave like a 12 year old wanting to play in a cup final with a broken leg.  

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

They're going to play international football, I accept that. It's the idea they will fuck off a scan just in case it shows something they don't like and just play regardless. I find it astonishing the clubs have no control over this and the players are stupid enough to do it. We keep hearing what great professionals they all are these days and then they behave like a 12 year old wanting to play in a cup final with a broken leg.  

Somewhere, Dave Whelan's ears have just pricked up.

"Have I ever told you the story..."

• Upvote 3

So Mo rejected our request for him to have a scan on an undisclosed injury prior to Egypt’s last match.

Played the whole game versus Guinea and now he’s had the scan. X-ray.

Doesn’t sound good that as far as I can tell. Feels a bit like goodwilll is at a low ebb and communication isn’t the greatest.

Hope I’m wrong but doesn’t sound promising and won’t go down well with the club.

We all know he’s hanging on for a huge free transfer.

18 hours ago, gkmacca said:

Egypt manager Ehab Galal has claimed that Mo Salah played through injury in their 1-0 win over Guinea, having “rejected Liverpool’s request” for a scan.

Egypt scraped to a 1-0 win at home to Guinea in their Africa Cup of Nations qualifier on Sunday evening, with both Salah and Naby Keita playing the full 90 minutes.

Unprofessional from Mo. If he’s wanting us to give him a pay rise, he should make sure he’s fit enough to be hold end his part of the deal.

I know we don’t play again for 2 months and it’s likely not serious, but still…

8 hours ago, m0e said:

Yeah but everything went to shit when Matip got injured. We were 5 points clear at that point.

That's just the final nail in the coffin though isn't it. If it had been Gomez or vvd who got injured last, we could say that was the problem. The reality is it happened because we went into the season with 3 centre backs and they were all finished for the season by December. 

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Unprofessional from Mo. If he’s wanting us to give him a pay rise, he should make sure he’s fit enough to be hold end his part of the deal.

I know we don’t play again for 2 months and it’s likely not serious, but still…

After a long period of exceptional good behaviour in the squad there's maybe just a tiny sign of that spirit waning - Ox sitting on the bench with a cob on every game, Mane getting increasingly aloof as the season went on and then, well, THIS, Mo playing his own private games once he lost form and now ignoring club instructions... Klopp relies a lot on the right attitude and emotions to sustain the intensity, so freshening up the squad is probably needed. 

• Upvote 1