You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

What I've been told about it...

He wants to be the top earner at the club. The club don't want to pay anyone more than they pay Van Dijk because in their eyes he's our most important player and if he's happy with his salary why would they pay someone else more than him? 

If you think Salah is more important than Van Dijk and should be on more money, that's fine, you can argue they should pay him what he wants. The people making those decisions don't share that view which is why we're at a stalemate.

Maybe there's a way around it with a signing on fee, but his salary isn't going to be more than Virgil's because they don't think he's as irreplaceable as Virgil.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, dave u said:

He wants to be the top earner at the club. The club don't want to pay anyone more than they pay Van Dijk because in their eyes he's our most important player and if he's happy with his salary why would they pay someone else more than him? 

If you think Salah is more important than Van Dijk and should be on more money, that's fine, you can argue they should pay him what he wants. The people making those decisions don't share that view which is why we're at a stalemate.

Maybe there's a way around it with a signing on fee, but his salary isn't going to be more than Virgil's because they don't think he's as irreplaceable as Virgil.

Strikers always earn more than defenders, rightly or wrongly. Klopp is more important than any of them and gets paid about the same as Chamberlain. It just doesn't work like that and seems naive to think there's not a market outside of LFC. 

3 hours ago, dave u said:

I think this is fair enough.VVD is the player who Klopp feels changed this team into outright winners and who am I to disagree with that. As for the 'strikers always get paid most' argument,that is a relic from the past when GKs were the lowest earners and not considered top important to a team. Times have changed on this score.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

A clean sheet without a goal is worth 1 point. It can never be worth more than 1 point unless someone scores. A clean sheet cannot win you a football game without a goal. 

That's not enough evidence, mate, sorry. I want numbers.

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

What numbers do you want? I don't get where the confusion is. 38 clean sheets with no goals will have you competing in a relegation battle. 

That goals are more important than clean sheets.

Surely, you don't think the argument is as simple as your last sentence here.

And also, as I said, what of the attacking importance of van Dijk?

Goals v clean sheets is irrelevant.

The club's view is we've always had great strikers. Owen, Fowler, Suarez, Torres etc but we only became a great team when Van Dijk and Alisson arrived.

You can find someone else to score goals, we always have.

I mean fucking hell, Son scored the same league goals as Mo and he didnt even have any pens in there. Replacing what Salah brings is easier than replacing Van Dijk.

Ideally we wouldnt need to replace either, but one is happy with the contract he has and the other isn't.

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

That goals are more important than clean sheets.

Surely, you don't think the argument is as simple as your last sentence here.

And also, as I said, what of the attacking importance of van Dijk?

Goals win football matches. They will always be the most valuable commodity there is. You could claim it was the man of the match performance from courtois at the weekend that won madrid the cup, yet without the goal, they haven't won. 

I'm not saying goalkeepers or defenders have no value, but they just don't carry the value of a goalscorer. 

As for vvd goals.... He's not the most prolific centre back, but he does ok. And that combined with his defending make him currently the best paid player at the club and before his contract renewal he was in the top 3 or 4. Nobody is saying he has no value, it's just goals will always be valued more, because they are the most valuable thing in football.