You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

40 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'm just basically pointing out the stupidity in that sentence. There has been a lot of crap spoken by his representatives and this is just more bullshit to try and sway fans onto his 'side.' I quite applaud the club having some kind of wages structure,as absurd as those wages are and Salah's,or his agent's comments put me in the club's corner on this.

I don’t think they’re stupid. We clearly don’t pay the wages that the likes of City, Madrid, PSG and others pay, even though we are one of the clubs at the very top level. It’s not ludicrous to ask for a pay rise to get closer to what he could be earning elsewhere. It’s only ludicrous if you bring nurses into it. If you do that, him asking for an 85% pay cut would also be ludicrously greedy. The market sets the wages, it’s the market that’s disgusting. 

If he does stay in the league, i cant see him going anywhere other than City. He isnt going to want to step down and start battling for 3rd or below. From City's perspective, in terms of a statement and trying to establish themselves as one of the top teams in the world and 'bigger' than Liverpool, i think this would be as big a way of doing this as any.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Oil clubs have totally fucked wages up. Players want to have wages that match clubs to who money is no object. Its the death of most football clubs. 

Before the oil clubs, people used to blame the king of Spain and before that fiat or the generous Catalan banks. It is what it is, the market is where it is. Clearly Mo wasn't going to stay for a 15% pay rise, it gives him what marcus rashford earns (who aren't an oil club). If we don't want to pay more, we have to just accept it and face the fact he will probably play football somewhere we don't want him to play. But he's just a a bloke going to work who wants what he believes he's worth in the market. The oil clubs are part of the market. 

3 minutes ago, John102 said:

If he does stay in the league, i cant see him going anywhere other than City. He isnt going to want to step down and start battling for 3rd or below. From City's perspective, in terms of a statement and trying to establish themselves as one of the top teams in the world and 'bigger' than Liverpool, i think this would be as big a way of doing this as any.

That athletic article talks of him being happy in Cheshire. There's no doubt he's fluttering his eyes that way. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Before the oil clubs, people used to blame the king of Spain and before that fiat or the generous Catalan banks. It is what it is, the market is where it is. Clearly Mo wasn't going to stay for a 15% pay rise, it gives him what marcus rashford earns (who aren't an oil club). If we don't want to pay more, we have to just accept it and face the fact he will probably play football somewhere we don't want him to play. But he's just a a bloke going to work who wants what he believes he's worth in the market. The oil clubs are part of the market. 

The market is completely distorted because nation states have bought clubs. FFP was introduced for a reason because its not sustainable having wages structures taking up such a massive percentage of your income. They've fucked FFP off essentially because the suits are greedy and want a slice. Even with the slack FFP the likes of city are cooking the books. It's not a normal path footballs on, the market being the market, the current path is one where only oil clubs matter nobody can keep up with that type of inflation. United are a mega rich club but soon enough it will be an ever dwindling capability to match the oil clubs unless they become one.

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

The Salah of H1 this season would’ve deserved what he’s asked for, but the Salah of H2 probably deserved a paycut. I don’t envy Klopp or Ward having to make this call. 

Have they got a call? They offered him 250k a week in December if today's reports are to be believed. We were out of the game then and already on a path to letting him run his contract down. 

Who's taking him this summer though if we want to get rid? PSG just dropped a load of money on Mbappe and City have Haaland now. I guess the only one would be Madrid maybe after getting shafted on Mbappe. Other than that though I see no other options at this late stage.

I'm resigned to a bit of a side show next season as he runs the contract down. Seems the most realistic option of a shit situation.

There is lots of talk about just sell him now, but i think his comments the other day about being next season show that its a non starter. I hope im wrong but i just cant see him not leaving on a free. He has just seen the M'Bappe deal, he is one year away from leaving for free and getting tens of millions in signing on fees and the like (Im speculating i know), i cannot see him forgoing all of this for what we are able/want to pay him.

I know people say what's the difference between 300k and 400k (I think he would likely end up on more than this at) and without wanting to be flippant, its 100k a week. Its one of the reasons billionaires carry on working and making more money, generally people want as much money as they can get their hands on.

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The market is completely distorted because nation states have bought clubs. FFP was introduced for a reason because its not sustainable having wages structures taking up such a massive percentage of your income. They've fucked FFP off essentially because the suits are greedy and want a slice. Even with the slack FFP the likes of city are cooking the books. It's not a normal path footballs on, the market being the market, the current path is one where only oil clubs matter nobody can keep up with that type of inflation. United are a mega rich club but soon enough it will be an ever dwindling capability to match the oil clubs unless they become one.

But here's the thing. Until the ESL was announced the super clubs (of which I include us) had all the power at UEFA. We could have ensured there were rules in place that weren't circumnavigated by simply letting time pass because there was a time bar on the rules. We were a part of the lazy system which allowed this to happen. It's too late now, because these clubs are here and here to stay.

And investors at clubs like ourselves, arsenal, Chelsea and Salford don't really want the oil money to go, because individuals like those those who own PSG, Newcastle and City are their exit plan. Oil money helps make the market which makes private equity investors billions in increased asset value. The Chinese have already fucked off. The Russians are out of the game too. It's already making the pool smaller, they're not going to make it smaller still by fucking off the few people who have egos or a political agenda in buying a premier League club. 

And to my previous point, the market was completely distorted when real Madrid were racking up massive debts that were then written off by gifts from the king. But that was alright, because they were old football money. 

The market is where it is. We just need to get on with it and if that means Salah has to go, he has to go. 

Nailed on for Newcastle in my opinion. The Saudi's would love to have the biggest Arab superstar in football play for their club. They can afford his wages, and I wouldn't be surprised if they've already tapped him up. Might explain why we are at an impasse, as Salah knows we could never match the salary the Saudi's would offer. Salah would also probably feel we would be less angry if he went to Newcastle rather than a direct rival like City or Chelsea.

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

If he goes to City, does a forward line with Salah and Haaland work? Genuine question 

Suspect it would unfortunately . However at this stage I can see him as the Aguero type signing for Newcastle . Someone has to progress them from mid table to attracting top talent . I see an ageing and still capable Salah as the catalyst. 

47 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

Time to make a final offer and sell if he doesn't accept.

We don't need next season to have the Mo Salah to City sideshow running right through it.

Aye it might not be easy to be as supportive from the stands if he could go to those cheats at the end of the season.

42 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Salah would also probably feel we would be less angry if he went to Newcastle rather than a direct rival like City or Chelsea.

If there were a Top Trumps "Things Salah gives a shit about when determining his career path" category I fear this wouldn't win very often.

• Upvote 1

In principle I’d have no issue with him leaving on a free if that’s how both parties want it to be. We really can’t have another season of ‘will he/won’t he sign a new contract?’ though. Throw in the speculation about where he might go to and it will be a nightmare next season, we just don’t need another year of this.

It needs sorting this summer one way or another so we can just get on with playing football next year.

• Upvote 1