You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

Liverpool transfer news: Salah prefers Premier League move if he can’t agree new deal

Sadio Mane is keen to secure a move away from Liverpool — but team-mate and fellow attacker Mohamed Salah is going nowhere this summer, regardless of whether he signs a new contract.

The prolific Egypt international intends to snub any attempts to prise him out of Anfield during the upcoming transfer window. He’s fully committed to Jurgen Klopp’s side for 2022-23 and is adamant his head won’t be turned by any of the other European heavyweights.

However, beyond next summer, Salah’s future is increasingly uncertain. Unless the 29-year-old receives a significantly improved contract offer from Liverpool, he will leave as a free agent at the end of next season. In that scenario, Salah’s preference would be to stay in the Premier League rather than head overseas.

This off-season is pivotal in the context of Salah’s career.

Liverpool’s owners insist they want to retain the services of the recently crowned Football Writers’ Association Footballer of the Year, but the clock is ticking as he prepares to enter the final 12 months of a contract he signed in the summer of 2018.

The Athletic understands that Fenway Sports Group president Mike Gordon, rather than outgoing sporting director Michael Edwards or his successor Julian Ward, has been leading discussions with Salah’s agent, Ramy Abbas.

However, there have been no face to face talks since December, when Dubai-based Abbas flew to Miami to meet Gordon. During those negotiations, it became clear that there was a vast disparity between what one party wanted and what the other was willing to offer. A revised set of demands were subsequently submitted via email but the stand-off rumbled on through the second half of the season.

The exact numbers involved remain unclear. Contracts at Liverpool are complex with a whole host of bonuses linked to individual and team performance. They also have a wage structure the owners are reluctant to break. Salah, Virgil van Dijkand Thiago are in the top bracket of earners.

Sources close to the player insist what Salah was offered effectively amounted to a 15 per cent pay rise on his current terms, which they felt under-valued his status in world football.

Having assessed what other elite performers across the European game are earning, they believe the wages he’s seeking at Liverpool would make him the sixth-best-paid footballer on the planet. Earlier this season, Salah himself insisted he wasn’t asking for “crazy stuff”.

Salah, who has scored 156 goals in 254 games since a £43.9 million move from Roma in the summer of 2017, turns 30 in a couple of weeks but has just equalled his second-best-ever return over a single season with 31 goals in all competitions as Liverpool won the Carabao Cup and the FA Cup before narrowly missing out on Premier League and Champions League glory. He’s also incredibly durable — averaging over 50 club appearances a season during his five years on Merseyside.

He shared the Premier League Golden Boot with Tottenham’s Son Heung-min on 23 goals and won the award for most top-flight assists after creating a further 13. He’s happy at Liverpool and settled living in Cheshire with wife Magi and daughters Makka and Kayan. But he wants a contract which he believes is representative of his importance and value to a team challenging for the biggest prizes in European football.

There has been speculation that the length of a possible extension is a stumbling block. However, The Athletic has learned that Salah would be willing to sign a new two-year deal if the terms were right. He’s not looking for the security of a four-year contract. He’s a model professional and is convinced he will continue to deliver at the highest level well into his mid-30s.

As Liverpool prepare to launch another attempt to thrash out a compromise with Salah and avoid the prospect of the issue rumbling on into next season, new sporting director Ward will be tasked with lining up a replacement for Mane.

The Senegal international, who like Salah is down to his final year, wants to pursue a new challenge after six years at Anfield. Bayern Munich are the front-runners but Liverpool are prepared to play hardball. They want around €50 million (£42.5 million) rather than the fee of €30 million (£25.5 million) which has been touted in Germany.

Liverpool brought forward their summer plans to buy attacker Luis Diaz when they completed a £50 million move for the Colombia international in January. However, Mane’s likely exit — coupled with striker Divock Origi joining AC Milan as a free agent — means that area of the squad will need to be further reinforced.

The club are also expecting plenty of interest in Takumi Minamino, who was their top scorer in both domestic cups last season but then didn’t feature in either Wembley final and found his opportunities in other competitions limited, starting just one Premier League game. Bought from Red Bull Salzburg for £7.25 million in January 2020, the Japan international is valued at around £17 million. Inter Milan and Leeds United have shown interest previously.

Senior Anfield figures held talks over a potential free-agent deal for Kylian Mbappe earlier this year but it soon became clear that they just couldn’t make the numbers work financially. It became a straight shootout between staying at Paris Saint-Germain and joining Real Madrid after his contract expired. The France international opted for the former.

Where Liverpool turn now will be intriguing.

They have previously shortlisted the likes of Lille’s Canada international Jonathan David and Jarrod Bowen of West Ham, who has just had his first senior Englandcall-up. They need to be bold given that Manchester City have already strengthened the team that beat them to last season’s title with the signing of Borussia Dortmund striker Erling Haaland.

HAALAND-BELLINGHAM-scaled.jpg
Erling Haaland, left, is bound for Manchester City but Liverpool are interested in his Dortmund team-mate Jude Bellingham, right (Getty Images)

One new attacking option Klopp will have in 2022-23 is Fabio Carvalho. The talented teenager will officially join the club on July 1. Liverpool will pay Fulham £5 million, with a further £2.7 million to potentially follow in add-ons. The west London side also have a 20 per cent sell-on clause.

Liverpool view Carvalho as being capable of playing across the front line as well as in an advanced midfield role. They have no intention of loaning him out. Harvey Elliott, who played his youth football alongside Carvalho with Fulham, is convinced he will prove to be a major asset.

As well as Salah and Mane, Roberto Firmino, Naby Keita and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain are also approaching the final year of their contracts.

Firmino is keen to stay, despite losing his status as a regular starter following the impacts of Diogo Jota and now Diaz. “I’m very happy here,” the 30-year-old Brazilian said. “I’m grateful to God that I’m here playing for a great club with great players, winning titles. And my will is to stay.”

Liverpool are hoping to agree an extension with Keita, while Oxlade-Chamberlain’s future depends on whether he pushes for a move. The former Arsenal man didn’t play a minute’s football in the final two months of the season after falling out of favour. The club will listen to offers.

Klopp said before the Champions League final last weekend that every player knows exactly where they stand.

Vice-captain James Milner, who is a free agent this summer, is currently weighing up whether to remain at Anfield on a heavily incentivised one-year extension or pursue a move that will guarantee him more regular action. The 36-year-old is not short of options.

Liverpool will look to bolster their midfield.

Jude Bellingham is widely admired but there’s an acceptance that it might be tough to land the 18-year-old England international this summer given that Dortmund are already losing Haaland. It would take in excess of £80 million. Monaco’s Aurelien Tchouameni, 22, has been widely scouted but Liverpool believe he’s destined to join Real Madrid, with PSG also keen.

Loris Karius will certainly leave on a free as the goalkeeper attempts to revive his flagging career.

Nat Phillips, Neco Williams, Ben Davies, Ben Woodburn, Sheyi Ojo and Sepp van den Berg have just completed loan spells in the Championship or Scottish Premiership. Woodburn is out of contract this month, while it’s hard to see any of the others forcing their way into Klopp’s plans for next season.

The values of both Phillips and Williams have been enhanced by their eye-catching contributions in helping Bournemouth and Fulham secure automatic promotion to the Premier League. Liverpool pocketed a £1.5 million loan fee for Phillips and a further £250,000 following Bournemouth’s return to the top flight.

Ward will demand around £15 million for the centre-half, and a similar fee for Wales international right-back Williams. Liverpool are in no rush to sell and are prepared to wait until later in the window.

They are also looking to complete a £4 million deal for Aberdeen teenager Calvin Ramsey. The Scotland Under-21 full-back would effectively become Trent Alexander-Arnold’s understudy at right-back if he signs.

There is much to sort out before pre-season starts at Kirkby on Monday, July 4. Not least trying to bring the Salah saga to a successful conclusion and avoiding the unappetising prospect of losing him for nothing to a rival in 12 months.

(Top photo: Giuseppe Maffia/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

32 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

The “wants to stay in the Premier League” thing is obviously a negotiating tactic.

We’d probably be ok with him heading overseas but Man City would be a different matter. Doesn’t take Dougie Howser to work that out.

Yeah, it's the nuclear option. Pretty effective as a threat, but he'd turn from idolised to a hated figure in an instant. I don't think he's got that in him.

• Upvote 1

What's everyone up in arms about ? He leaving next year probably for City or Newcastle . Saw out his contract and will have been an absolute legend in LFC history . Move on he obviously wants to pocket signing on plus mad  contract for over 30 year old. Fair play would do the same myself . Also think he will be a star at another club for maybe 4 or 5 years but he gave us his best years. 

'I am not asking for anything crazy!' Yes you are,you already earn more than top doctors,airline pilots,nurses and people whose jobs are a matter of life and death every day. Not just Salah,but pretty much all of these players at the top of the game.

The best gesture we've had is Jurgen Klopp not taking any more wages and extending his contract (he obviously knows he is well paid) but insisting his staff get a raise instead. This is the type of person I want at the club and he is also the most vital cog in the wheel for me.

If he goes to a rival he can seriously get fucked. If I see Salah in city colours I'm done with football and life.

If he's making threats like this then, unlike Mane, this is surely only about money, and words can't convey how disappointing that is.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I am not asking for anything crazy!' Yes you are,you already earn more than top doctors,airline pilots,nurses and people whose jobs are a matter of life and death every day.

But he's not a doctor, pilot, nurse, or whatever else, he's a footballer and football is a business where it's incredibly lucrative to be good at football and, like actors or bankers or CEO in business, they don't judge themselves based off the earnings of doctors and nurses, they base it off what their relative value is inside of the sector they're in and against those who are of the same level. Bottom line is, we either pay him or he goes somewhere else. We shouldn't make that call based on whether he is earning more than a nurse, but if he brings value and if we can get better value elsewhere. Football is long since been fucked, because of the money floating around. Not giving out pay rises based on that at this point is slightly 'closing the stable door after the horse died of flogging years ago'. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Section_31 said:

If he goes to a rival he can seriously get fucked. If I see Salah in city colours I'm done with football and life.

Torres hurt more. 

Its disappointing but we've been down this road before. I still think it gets sorted for what its worth, but even if it it doesn't, we will be okay. 

• Downvote 1

Absolutely love Mo, Sadio and even Divock etc. I dont want any to leave Liverpool, well except maybe Keita. It's disappointing to me to read that Athletic article claiming Liverpool want to offer him a new contract? Fuck's sake, Id rather keep Taki than Naby.

It's inevitable that at sometime the players do move on. Div had to move due to his lack of playing time, form deteriorate like in Bobby's case and as much as he wants to stay beyond his contract, I dont think he'll get his wish unless he rediscovers his best form for us.

But let's be honest, Mo is doing exactly the same here as McManaman and Owen in running his contract down. The end result may even be the same as what Torres did, join a hated PL rival, only Mo would be moving on for money, not trophies, which would be a real kick in the guts in my opinion.

Who could that 'rival' be? Anyone notice chelsea transfer supremo Granovskaia singled out Mo from all of our players for a hug when he went past her and the pious Buck to collect his FA Cup winners medal? It wouldnt be the first time a player went back to a club where their first spell didnt work out well. Look at Lukaku, they spent nearly £90m in transfer fee alone to bring him back.

City? Cant see them being interested except to show they can piss on our chips and still take players from us. United? If next season is another false dawn then they might do business with 'the club we dont do business with.'

The dark horse has to be Newcastle with their unlimited funds. They wouldnt be buying Mo. They'd get him on a free and could afford to give him both a big signing on fee and wages to match. And wouldnt the Toon fans lap that up?

You might think Mo wont go there because they dont win trophies. Well neither did we when we signed him and despite the bollocks Mo says he isnt asking for 'crazy money,' he clearly knows what he is asking for is beyond Liverpool's wage structure. The club believes it would risk harmony within the squad if they caved in but that would remain to be seen.

I really cant see any other contender for Mo's signature within the PL. Spurs or Arsenal? They would be a bigger shock than Newcastle to me.

No, Im sorry, Im getting hacked off with Mo's situation now. It's like having an argument within the family. You dont want to but you know you must draw the line if it is crossed.

The club just cannot afford to let Mo leave for free. And if you think the 'willing to join a PL rival' is a negotiating tactic think again. He will do it if we let him.

If the club and Mo cannot agree a deal then he has to be sold this summer window. Simple as.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

What's everyone up in arms about ? He leaving next year probably for City or Newcastle . Saw out his contract and will have been an absolute legend in LFC history . Move on he obviously wants to pocket signing on plus mad  contract for over 30 year old. Fair play would do the same myself . Also think he will be a star at another club for maybe 4 or 5 years but he gave us his best years. 

If he goes to City, does a forward line with Salah and Haaland work? Genuine question 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

If he's making threats like this then, unlike Mane, this is surely only about money, and words can't convey how disappointing that is.

According to the mane thread, he's asked for 400k per week, so I don't really see the difference.

I don't know why people would assume he wouldn't go to another English club. When you're at the top of the game, there are a limited number of destinations and half of them are English. Why would he narrow his options and reduce his negotiating power by ruling them out? I don't get why people think players are fans. They're just going to work. For me the only time it is different is with people who are genuine fans and the world is still full of those fellas moving on, so maybe that isn't so different. 

Just don't fall in love with footballers. As the song once went, if you want to be happy for the rest of your life, don't make a beautiful woman your wife. 

5 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

But he's not a doctor, pilot, nurse, or whatever else, he's a footballer and football is a business where it's incredibly lucrative to be good at football and, like actors or bankers or CEO in business, they don't judge themselves based off the earnings of doctors and nurses, they base it off what their relative value is inside of the sector they're in and against those who are of the same level. Bottom line is, we either pay him or he goes somewhere else. We shouldn't make that call based on whether he is earning more than a nurse, but if he brings value and if we can get better value elsewhere. Football is long since been fucked, because of the money floating around. Not giving out pay rises based on that at this point is slightly 'closing the stable door after the horse died of flogging years ago'. 

I'm just basically pointing out the stupidity in that sentence. There has been a lot of crap spoken by his representatives and this is just more bullshit to try and sway fans onto his 'side.' I quite applaud the club having some kind of wages structure,as absurd as those wages are and Salah's,or his agent's comments put me in the club's corner on this.