You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Of course it's relevant. He has the status of someone who is undroppable, like them, and chases numbers, like them. It's an important part of who he is and how he plays. He thinks he's the best.

Yeah he sounds more and more like a PR7 lite these days...it's a bit embarrassing/cringey 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Of course it's relevant. He has the status of someone who is undroppable, like them, and chases numbers, like them. It's an important part of who he is and how he plays. He thinks he's the best.

He’s our top scorer and has the most assists this season, but he’s not looking sharp and hasn’t for a while now, and I believe it’s due to the number of games he’s played. He thinks he’s the best? That’s nice, but he doesn’t pick himself to start every week, that’s Jurgen’s job, hence irrelevant in this discussion.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He’s our top scorer and has the most assists this season, but he’s not looking sharp and hasn’t for a while now, and I believe it’s due to the number of games he’s played. He thinks he’s the best? That’s nice, but he doesn’t pick himself to start every week, that’s Jurgen’s job, hence irrelevant in this discussion.

Perceived status of a player in football is immensely relevant. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Perceived status of a player in football is immensely relevant. 

I think it’s just media narrative. Jurgen picks him because he’s the best right sided forward we have even in this form. I doubt he ever considers Mo’s status in the game before finalising the starting line up if I’m honest. 

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

I think it’s just media narrative. Jurgen picks him because he’s the best right sided forward we have even in this form. I doubt he ever considers Mo’s status in the game before finalising the starting line up if I’m honest. 

I'm not talking about Jurgen, I'm talking about how Salah perceives himself. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm not talking about Jurgen, I'm talking about how Salah perceives himself. 

We want him to score goals and do all the things he did in the first half of the season. Yes he’s currently undroppable but it’s not because of his status, it’s because the alternatives aren’t great.

Since Salah returned from AFCON he’s been bullied by average full backs and teams who have double marked him, Son was doing a lot of that tonight for instance with Davies, plus they know that even if they get tight and push and shove him, it’s unlikely that referees will punish them, as he’s been a marked man since going over too easy and winning a penalty earlier in the season (Watford?) and being called out about it by MOTD.

But even so, he makes awful decisions when there are often better placed players, and while it’s good in some ways for forwards to be greedy, there has to be some level of consideration for the team rather than the individual.

His contract situation hasn’t helped either and could have some effect on his overall play if he believes he’s not being paid what he thinks he’s worth.

All in all he’s been generally average recently and as no player should be undroppable, maybe a rest would do him good. However, it would mean altering the style of play as we don’t really have a player who could drop in there without some level of experimentation, not what you want at this point in the season.

He wasn’t the sole reason why we dropped points though, there were a few who weren’t “at it” and with a well drilled Spurs playing well, we were always going to have a problem if they scored, which they did of course.

We looked as though there wasn’t the same snap that we usually show, our build up play was ponderous and repetitive at times, perhaps this was just a game too far for a squad that have been brilliant for so long.

So it’s not over, but I don’t see city letting this slip now, they may have been deflated after Real dumped them out the other night, but this result has done more for their morale than anything Guardiola might have been able to say to them.

Nobody should be surprised or blame Salah for his levels dropping post AFCON.

It was always gonna fuck him up 

He played every minute of:

3 group games

4 120 minute knockout round games.

He then played every minute of a two legged world cup qualifier, the 2nd leg of which went to extra time.

That is going to hurt and jade anyone slap bang in the middle of a season....an absolutely ridiculous schedule.

Add on the mental side of being his countries talisman and leader and all the pressure that brings 

Then all the games he has played for us on top.

But would anyone bet against him still scoring a crucial goal or two for us before this season ends?

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, aRdja said:

We want him to score goals and do all the things he did in the first half of the season. Yes he’s currently undroppable but it’s not because of his status, it’s because the alternatives aren’t great.

The alternative is Mane, who earned a transfer to the club by playing on the right, is right-footed, and can also, unlike Mo, score goals with his 'weaker' foot. So that IS a 'great'' alternative. Diaz on the left, Jota or Bobby in the centre and Mane on the right. Replacing one of them with Mo on top form would make it better; replacing one of them with Mo in his current form would make it worse.

The thing is, the goals he scores come from fluid attacking play. He often pops up in the right place and benefits from the dynamic movement of the other attackers. He's great at that.

Him at the edge of the box, one or two defenders in front of him, shifting it predictably onto his left foot and blasting it into shins is horrible to watch. His success rate from that position is fast approaching fake Ronaldo free kick territory. The odd worldy has proved intoxicating, but it hides the truth that it's where too many of our attacks go to die.