You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

If he’s set on leaving, the best thing the club could do is sell him this summer to a team that isn’t Man City. 

Would he really want to ruin his legacy here by running his contract down and going to Manchester? I’m not sure. That would be worse than what happened with Torres, Sterling, Coutinho, Owen, etc. 

29 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, but the thing with that is we've managed to extend Alisson, Fabinho, van Dijk, foreign players in their prime ages with no prior attachment to the club, who are world class at their positions and expect equivalent salaries. Clearly, we're not exactly insulting in our contract offers. This is simply a Salah problem. His age and his demands, alone. If that's the case, no issue. Thanks for everything, and that's it. 

If you think a keeper or a centre back normally earn comparative wages to a striker, you are mistaken. And fabinho, great as he is, I don't think there's many outside of Liverpool fans who'd put him as the best number 6 in the world, let alone the best midfielder in the world. Personally, I think it would be perfectly natural to expect Salah to earn an exceptional wage beyond what any of those players do. He's out performed every striker in this league since he's been here from a wide position and knocked over records of most of our forwards from the past - who aren't exactly shabby. Salah is an absolutely exceptional footballer, who I think it is reasonable to expect an exceptional wage. It's always the same though, everyone loves a player till they think we can't afford him then it's all "don't let the door hit you on the way out" and it's all the players fault. 

He's obviously quality but there are lots of games where he misses an outrageous amount of chances and drifts in and out of the game. He's not a genius in the way that Suarez was. I think he'll regress when he leaves us ala Coutinho.

• Upvote 1

I think it was Mo who first mentioned in a recent interview he wanted to see continued ambition of the club and bring in players the manager wants. So I dont think Klopp is talking bullshit as may have been suggested.

I will honestly be gutted if Mo decides he wants to move on for the sake of more money.

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

If you think a keeper or a centre back normally earn comparative wages to a striker, you are mistaken. And fabinho, great as he is, I don't think there's many outside of Liverpool fans who'd put him as the best number 6 in the world, let alone the best midfielder in the world. Personally, I think it would be perfectly natural to expect Salah to earn an exceptional wage beyond what any of those players do. He's out performed every striker in this league since he's been here from a wide position and knocked over records of most of our forwards from the past - who aren't exactly shabby. Salah is an absolutely exceptional footballer, who I think it is reasonable to expect an exceptional wage. It's always the same though, everyone loves a player till they think we can't afford him then it's all "don't let the door hit you on the way out" and it's all the players fault. 

It's not "don't let the door hit you on the way out". Salah will get his due, he's a legend. It's just that if a player wants to leave for whatever reason, you let him go and you move on. 

It's difficult to have a meaningful debate when we have no idea what's been going on in negotiations. Mo deserves to be our biggest earner by some distance as top strikers always earn more. But if his position is (say) no less than £500,000 a week for five years  because that is what he can earn elsewhere then I can't see us getting near that demand.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Boss said:

He's obviously quality but there are lots of games where he misses an outrageous amount of chances and drifts in and out of the game. He's not a genius in the way that Suarez was. I think he'll regress when he leaves us ala Coutinho.

He will never play in a system that is built as well for him as this one.

• Upvote 1

I'd imagine we are offering him a very good pay package.  He's already on £200k a week and has been offered a pay rise.  However it won't be what the likes of a PSG or Man City could offer, and that's fine. We cannot and should not be held to ransom. So if the money offered isn't enough for Salah then we thank him and send him on his way.  I'd rather he left this summer and the player signed to play in his position has 2 full seasons of Klopp before Klopp moves on in 2024.  I just hope the decision is arrived at soon so we can get away from this 'will he, won't he' crap. 

A minimum of one (if not two) of Salah, Mane and Firmino will be going this summer, so Salah needs to make his mind up quickly so we can tie down Mane if Salah does decide to go.

• Upvote 1

You would think the player isn’t completely unaware of the system here being ideal for him. That he’s seen the likes of Coutinho and Wijnaldum fuck off and not establish themselves elsewhere. It must reach a point where if there’s that much money on offer somewhere else they clearly don’t give a fuck or are certainly more amenable to taking the risk.
Either way if he does go I don’t think there’s anyway we can spin it as a positive. I’ll be fucking gutted. He’s been consistently putting up insane numbers for the last 5 years.
Saying he misses quite a few chances is a ridiculous rationale for letting him go. Whatever makes you feel better I suppose.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Boss said:

Yes, because he plays on the wing, not the centre, and plays twice as many games as Suarez ever did for us every single season.

• Upvote 1

He's definitely off, IMO. It has all the hallmarks of a player wanting to leave for something new, and the club has no real desire to go out of their way to keep hold of him.  It would fit the pattern of how the club has been run under FSG.  The writing has been on the wall for a while and all the contract talk stuff is just smoke and mirrors.  

I'm not bothered, we'll be fine without him.  Someone else will step up and provide the goals.  

53 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's not "don't let the door hit you on the way out". Salah will get his due, he's a legend. It's just that if a player wants to leave for whatever reason, you let him go and you move on. 

"For whatever reason". So as @aws says, it's hard to have a meaningful conversation because we don't know what he wants or has been offered. 

However, let's for a minute assume what he's asking for is reasonable. Obviously obscene amounts of cash, but something where his price represents what he's achieved and will achieve. The problem is maybe we just don't want to pay it. We're not interested and would sooner sign someone for 30-40m and have him on 120k per week. The "whatever reason" isn't Salah's is it? It's not he wants to leave. He wants to stay. He just wants a market rate, but we're not interested in having any players who are in that wage bracket. 

I don't think this is as simple as saying Salah just wants to leave. There are 2 parties to the negotiation. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Havent seen the presser so dont know how accurate this is. But, Mo's agent seems to be acting the cunt again regarding what Jurgen has said.

Mo Salah's agent has appeared to laugh off Jurgen Klopp's suggestion that the ball is in Mo Salah's court over a new Liverpool contract. 

The Egyptian has been a sensation during his time at Liverpool and many fans are nervous about the prospect of losing him if terms cannot be agreed. 

Salah's current deal runs until 2023 but the topic of his renewal has been repeatedly brought up this season.

Ahead of this Saturday's early kick-off against Brighton, Klopp was asked whether the club could do any more to tie Salah down on a new contract.

He said: 'Mo definitely expects this club to be ambitious, we were in the last years and we are.

Of course we cannot do much more, that's how it is, I think meanwhile it is Mo's decision, pretty much. 

'I think the club did what the club can do. There's nothing more to say about it from my point of view, it is exactly like it should be at the moment.

'Nothing happened further, so no signing, no rejection or whatever so we just have to wait for that, it's completely fine, there's no rush in this situation.'

But Klopp's words then appeared to be dismissed by Salah's agent Ramy Abass Issa, who simply posted a row of seven crying-with-laughter emojis. 

Salah has scored 19 Premier League goals this season so far to lead the race for the Golden Boot. 

He's also scored eight goals in eight Champions League games to help the Reds into the quarter-finals of the competition. 

Liverpool remain six points behind Manchester City with one game in hand and face a tough challenge against the Seagulls this weekend.

They are on a run of seven successive wins in the league and know only three points will do if they are to keep taking the fight to Pep Guardiola's men.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10602535/Jurgen-Klopp-insists-Liverpool-new-deal-Salah.html

Not sure there are any football agents I'd ever tire of punching. Shower of utter cunts. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

"For whatever reason". So as @aws says, it's hard to have a meaningful conversation because we don't know what he wants or has been offered. 

However, let's for a minute assume what he's asking for is reasonable. Obviously obscene amounts of cash, but something where his price represents what he's achieved and will achieve. The problem is maybe we just don't want to pay it. We're not interested and would sooner sign someone for 30-40m and have him on 120k per week. The "whatever reason" isn't Salah's is it? It's not he wants to leave. He wants to stay. He just wants a market rate, but we're not interested in having any players who are in the wage bracket. 

I don't think this is as simple as saying Salah just wants to leave. There are 2 parties to the negotiation. 

If you want to stay somewhere, you can try to make concessions.