You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

If Salah or Mane get injured then we're back with Coutinho or Lallana in a wide position.

We need another pacy lad.

They've been fucking ace in wide positions. Phil scores all his goals cutting in from a wide position. There's nothing to suggest he won't have his ineffective spells playing deeper. A lot of Manes succes was from having defenders having to be wary of the tricky midgets around him so even if they tried to mark him out it'd leave more space for the creative players.

Having Salah means we can replicate that on both sides or have one through the middle or just one with a wide 10. It at least gives us the option of switching it up. That said I reckon if we signed AOC it'd be partly because he'd offer us cover in those positions.

He's going to be boss. Defenders are going to be shitting themselves with the prospect of him and Mane running at them at 200mph.

I agree. I think he's going to be brilliant. He's exactly what we need.

I don't actually remember a time in our recent history when we had two (competent) attackers as fast as these two.

I agree. I think he's going to be brilliant. He's exactly what we need.

I don't actually remember a time in our recent history when we had two (competent) attackers as fast as these two.

Not that I can see it happening but imagine sturridge came back to life on top of them two wide

I like it, but i want Salah on the left, predominantly. Mane is great where he is, i dont want to buy a left footed winger for the right then put mane on the left, cutting back.

Ok, im sure it will be interchangable.......

Mane played on the left more for Salzburg and Southampton and as per the Echo Salah's right foot is useless so if they're playing as forwards rather than wingers (we're looking for goals rather than just assists from them) then it makes sense to switch them.

It shouldn't hamper Mane's production and ensures that Salah plays in his best position as well.

Lot of money that, and that figure needs to be broken at least twice more this summer.

Transfer fees have gone mental.

For his goals and assists, it's a bargain in the current transfer climate.

If Salah or Mane get injured then we're back with Coutinho or Lallana in a wide position.

We need another pacy lad.

What about next AFCON? And if Keita is signed? That's 3 crucial players missing for a month.

Hopefully by then we'll have a much stronger squad and the impact of them missing will be less as Mane missing fucked our title (and league cup) hopes and our chances of finishing higher than we did.

Delighted that we have signed a proven wide man   We are at our most dangerous breaking with pace though how Salah will make a difference against most of the park the bus shite I have no idea,  Proper defenders is what we need because if you cant rip teams apart best not to let them sucker you from set pieces, I still hope and believe this fact cannot be lost on Klopp

The AFCON thing is the only real negative I can see in this signing. I guess we just hope they don't qualify, which seems unlikely, though more likely with Keita, who plays for Guinea and who have missed 3 of the last 5 tournaments.

Edit: actually, Egypt mdidn't qualify for 3 in a row in 2012, 2013, and 2015 too, though they had won the previous 3 and finished runners up last year

2nd edit: Guinea actually won their first qualifier 3-2 away at Ivory Coast this time, while Egypt lost 1-0 to Tunisia.

Mane played on the left more for Salzburg and Southampton and as per the Echo Salah's right foot is useless so if they're playing as forwards rather than wingers (we're looking for goals rather than just assists from them) then it makes sense to switch them.

It shouldn't hamper Mane's production and ensures that Salah plays in his best position as well.

Yeah i see that, but id like to see less cutting back.

Imo, Mane has gone on a level with us and is (arguably) our most effective player. Im sure they will be interchangable. With Coutinho and Milly ( i feel a neg would be justifiable here!) On the left side i felt that we lacked width on that side. I guess that Jurgen may sign a full back who could offer more natural width.

The difference between forward and winger is relevant, but there are still areas that overlap. But i guess its about preference. It has bugged me for a while that we have had no width on the left and i was delighted to see Jurgen suggest that Phil could play more centrally in future. It may well be as you say and i hope it looks great if it does!

The AFCON thing is the only real negative I can see in this signing. I guess we just hope they don't qualify, which seems unlikely, though more likely with Keita, who plays for Guinea and who have missed 3 of the last 5 tournaments.

Edit: actually, Egypt mdidn't qualify for 3 in a row in 2012, 2013, and 2015 too, though they had won the previous 3 and finished runners up last year

2nd edit: Guinea actually won their first qualifier 3-2 away at Ivory Coast this time, while Egypt lost 1-0 to Tunisia.

Hey, after a 28 year wait, I can live with us only winning every second title in the coming years.

• Upvote 1

Transfer fees have gone mental.

For his goals and assists, it's a bargain in the current transfer climate.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree. I might well balk at £39m but I have been calling the owners tight for years. His stats are good and he should prove to be an excellent signing - it's just a lot of money to splash out but we need to do it another couple of times before the summer is out, hopefully this is just the start.