Jump to content
WhiskeyJar

Mohamed Salah

Recommended Posts

I said in the car on the way to the game yesterday he is in for a shout at the Ballon D'Or if we can win the EPL or CL. I was regretting it at half time as his touch was awful for the first 45 and he wasn't in the game.

 

At the end of the game I was reminding my mates of my prophetic comment.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

I said in the car on the way to the game yesterday he is in for a shout at the Ballon D'Or if we can win the EPL or CL. I was regretting it at half time as his touch was awful for the first 45 and he wasn't in the game.

 

At the end of the game I was reminding my mates of my prophetic comment.

doesn't that get awarded in november/december? i wouldn't expect him to win it this year - and the world cup will be played before the end of 22, so if it is after that, he will find it tough as it'll likely go to someone who wins that or at least stands out in that competition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Trying to be clever and not renew this player’s contract because he’s approaching 30 would be the opposite of clever.

Still amuses me when people try to downplay his importance to the team by referring to Van Dijk as the catalyst for our success. No, Salah was - at the very least - every bit as important at the opposite end of the pitch (he just happened to sign first), and on the evidence of the season to date, has more left in the tank than VVD.


Failing to renew his contract would be cataclysmically idiotic and betray a lack of ambition that will ultimately see other top players question whether they want to spend much more of their career at the club. He’s one of a tiny handful of players who can effectively name his terms and any club that aspires to win things will match theme.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Still amuses me when people try to downplay his importance to the team by referring to Van Dijk as the catalyst for our success. No, Salah was - at the very least - every bit as important at the opposite end of the pitch (he just happened to sign first), and on the evidence of the season to date, has more left in the tank than VVD.


Failing to renew his contract would be cataclysmically idiotic and betray a lack of ambition that will ultimately see other top players question whether they want to spend much more of their career at the club. He’s one of a tiny handful of players who can effectively name his terms and any club that aspires to win things will match theme.

Good post. I’m out of rep, so have this picture of a 1970s Marks & Spencer male model instead.

 

82AF0FC0-7A69-4083-8A64-73D751649665.jpeg

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Still amuses me when people try to downplay his importance to the team by referring to Van Dijk as the catalyst for our success. No, Salah was - at the very least - every bit as important at the opposite end of the pitch (he just happened to sign first), and on the evidence of the season to date, has more left in the tank than VVD.


Failing to renew his contract would be cataclysmically idiotic and betray a lack of ambition that will ultimately see other top players question whether they want to spend much more of their career at the club. He’s one of a tiny handful of players who can effectively name his terms and any club that aspires to win things will match theme.

They both were. As was Alisson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

They both were. As was Alisson.

Not denying that, but there’s a curious denialism in centre quarters when it comes to Salah. A reluctance to give him the same amount of credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Not denying that, but there’s a curious denialism in centre quarters when it comes to Salah. A reluctance to give him the same amount of credit.

I think he’s been taken for granted a fair bit during his time here. There’s definitely a new appreciation of him this season though from both our own fans and external pundits. Whatever happened that Harry Kane lad who did his best to challenge Mo’s brilliance for a few seasons? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Not denying that, but there’s a curious denialism in centre quarters when it comes to Salah. A reluctance to give him the same amount of credit.

There might be a denial in the media about him, I thought Crouchie's recent article was typical. They'll wank themselves blind over Ronaldo but will over look Mo.

 

I cant believe people like crouchie think the fans dont love Mo or that he's not up there in fans affections like Gerrard, Fowler and a few others though.

 

Fuck me, just listen to the crowd yesterday and at other games singing Mo's song.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

doesn't that get awarded in november/december? i wouldn't expect him to win it this year - and the world cup will be played before the end of 22, so if it is after that, he will find it tough as it'll likely go to someone who wins that or at least stands out in that competition. 

The World Cup doesn’t finish till 18th December so think continuing his form and winning a major club competition will be key

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I think he’s been taken for granted a fair bit during his time here. There’s definitely a new appreciation of him this season though from both our own fans and external pundits. Whatever happened that Harry Kane lad who did his best to challenge Mo’s brilliance for a few seasons? 

Its a strange one, I'm definitely guilty of it. Maybe because he was a part of the Fab 4 and then 3 that individual recognition was in short supply. Suarez and Torres didn't have to share the love with anyone.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, No2 said:

Its a strange one, I'm definitely guilty of it. Maybe because he was a part of the Fab 4 and then 3 that individual recognition was in short supply. Suarez and Torres didn't have to share the love with anyone.

I think you're right about the collective acclaim for the front three when they were all on fire. He's definitely in that Suarez/Torres space now though. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

FSG need to pay him what he wants. Cant have him running his Contract down. 

They echo saying don't mess with king John no matter who you are. 

John Henry has already shown he won't take Mohamed Salah risk in 2022

 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-henry-already-shown-wont-21753357#ICID=Android_LFCEchoNewsApp_AppShare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They all know Salah goes to his left, so that's what they're waiting for.

 

He picks (what should have been) the key moment of a huge match to remind them that he has a right peg as well.

 

And now every defender is going to have that in the back of their mind for the rest of the season.

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, polymerpunkah said:

They all know Salah goes to his left, so that's what they're waiting for.

 

He picks (what should have been) the key moment of a huge match to remind them that he has a right peg as well.

 

And now every defender is going to have that in the back of their mind for the rest of the season.

 

 

Coutinho’s goal against United in Europa in 2016 was similar in that way but he still finished it with his right.
 

https://youtu.be/vI6EMUHrF9s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

They echo saying don't mess with king John no matter who you are. 

John Henry has already shown he won't take Mohamed Salah risk in 2022

 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-henry-already-shown-wont-21753357#ICID=Android_LFCEchoNewsApp_AppShare

Great, so he’ll be playing in Manchester, London or Paris from next season.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

They echo saying don't mess with king John no matter who you are. 

John Henry has already shown he won't take Mohamed Salah risk in 2022

 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-henry-already-shown-wont-21753357#ICID=Android_LFCEchoNewsApp_AppShare

What? It says that Liverpool should sign Salah no matter what the cost. Did you even read it?

 

Salah, unlike Betts, wants to stay. And while it would mean a further wage bump to payroll, one that would risk breaking a wage structure, there has to be the acceptance that, when presented with the opportunity to keep someone of the likes of Salah, a player who you simply can't replace, even if you do spend the Earth, then keeping them represents the best solution.

 

Virgil van Dijk, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Fabinho, Alisson Becker, Jordan Henderson and Andrew Robertson all penned new deals on the assumption that Liverpool would be a team that challenges for the very highest honours. They have a chance of doing that with Salah in their ranks over the next two or three years. They would know that the best chance of achieving what they want to as footballers is for Salah to be lining up alongside them, and they would surely accept that when it comes to him becoming Liverpool's highest paid player in history.

FSG cannot allow Salah to be Betts. They cannot risk falling behind and losing him to one of their great rivals. It wouldn't make financial or competitive sense.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burt weighing in with yet another 'Mo isnt loved as much' tripe. I think if there are an Liverpool fans who dont hold him in as high a regard as Fowler, Gerrard and others, it's a very small minority.

 

The point is, it's the media types regurgitating this bullshit because they're so far in Ronnie and Lionel's arses, they cant see the wood for the trees. Just look at the column inches devoted to Ronaldo's return to united and the PL. You'd think the PL was on it's knees before his return and he's almost been cast as its returning saviour by Burt and the rest.

 

It was interesting that Jürgen Klopp felt moved to say that had Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo scored the goal that Mohamed Salah struck for Liverpool against Manchester City, a mastery of tight space and stunning execution, then “the world says ‘yes, because it’s world-class’.”

 

It is usually the kind of statement made about a player of a far lower status than Salah with the implication being, nevertheless, that he simply does not get the credit he deserves. Certainly it sounded like his manager believes that is the case and not least because we all know that Salah has scored exactly that type of goal in a big game before.

 

Klopp is right. For whatever reason Salah has never received the recognition he warrants. When lists are compiled about the best players in the world he only occasionally sneaks into the top 10.

Suddenly, though, it is coming this season.

 

Although comparisons, normally, are fairly odious there is surely little doubt that on current form, with a tip to Robert Lewandowski and Erling Haaland, Salah is the best player in the world right now. Not just for his goals but also for his assists and for the magnificence of his all-round game.

 

Absolutely Salah has been undervalued and, to an extent, taken for granted up until this point which, incidentally and together with Klopp’s words, does not help Liverpool when it comes to trying to keep a financial grip on the bumper new contract that the forward is demanding with the clock ticking on his current deal that expires in June 2023. He has to be signed up.

 

When Liverpool are flying they are almost unstoppable with their attacking force and power winning the Champions League, the Premier League, scoring freely and destroying opposition. They are the complete forward unit – whether that is Salah, Sadio Mané or Diogo Jota or Roberto Firmino. So maybe it is because they are such a collective that individual recognition is not always forthcoming.

 

But even when Liverpool struggled last season Salah remained metronomic. He still scored 31 goals. It was a tough campaign and yet he was the one who maintained his levels throughout. That tells its own impressive story and Liverpool certainly would not have finished third in the Premier League or qualified for the Champions League without him which would have been disastrous for the club.

 

This is Salah’s fifth season with Liverpool. He is 29 and has got better and better. It is being argued that he has reached his peak but given his physique, the way he looks after himself, his injury record, his work ethic and his determination for self-improvement is that the case? Ronaldo’s rate of scoring goals increased dramatically once he hit 30 and Salah has that machine-like appetite.

 

There is no reason why he should slow up and already this season looks like it might be his best ever. So far he has nine goals in nine games and, like Ronaldo and Messi, the surprise is when he does not score. His highest ever return of 44 goals in 2017-18 could be under threat. Then he averaged a goal every 91.7 minutes. This season it is every 86.7 minutes. Salah could even beat Ian Rush’s record of 47 in a single campaign.

 

Salah is powering to a whole new level. His overall tally is 134 in 212 goals, as well as 46 assists, at an average of 0.63 goals per game and only Gordon Hodgson, Liverpool’s centre-forward in the 1930s has a better ratio. Nobody has reached 100 goals for the club quicker and what is as remarkable is the variety as well as the volume of goals. Salah scores all types and does it as a so-called winger. If he stays his numbers will challenge the greats, the legends of Liverpool.

 

And yet is he idolised? Liverpool fans will argue vehemently that they are fully behind the “Egyptian king” and that has not wavered but he is not held at the same level of affection as Robbie Fowler or the reverence that Luis Suárez or even Fernando Torres received at Anfield. With those players maybe it was also the fact that they were often beacons in poorer teams; shining lights who promised better days. Salah has quality all around him and also in the dug-out with Klopp who remains Liverpool’s biggest star.

 

But there may be another factor with Salah. An elephant in the room, if you like, and that is the accusations of diving he has faced over the years. Mud sticks, unfortunately, and Salah has had plenty thrown at him with Klopp feeling moved to both gently castigate and vehemently defend him in the past and while the argument is that it is less of an issue now the fact is those claims continued even last season in games against City, West Ham, Everton and Leicester City.

 

English football in particular has had a very strong reaction to diving. For example, in 2006, Chelsea fans did an extraordinary thing. They booed Didier Drogba at Stamford Bridge despite the fact that he scored both goals in a 2-0 win over Manchester City because he was throwing himself to the turf and then went over easily following a fairly innocuous challenge from Richard Dunne. Drogba was visibly upset by it.

 

So is Salah not quite idolised because he also used to go to ground too easily? Quite possibly so. But then that charge is levelled against Messi, against Ronaldo, against Neymar, against Suárez, against Harry Kane. Gareth Bale faced it constantly before his world-record move to Real Madrid eight years ago. Even so, and more than those other players, it does seem to have held the view of Salah back more than others which not only appears unfair but hopefully out-dated.

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/10/05/mohamed-salah-worlds-best-player-not-idolised/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×