WhiskeyJar

Mohamed Salah

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It would seem unlikely it would be American accountancy practices because you could compare us to Manchester United who are listed on NYSE, carry some significant acquisitional debt and still out spend us despite turning over very little more. I just think they're tight. Perhaps some FSG people are paid via some type of "services" that falls in this "other" category in the accounts so our highest director remains somewhat insignificant. But our 326m seems a pretty unlikely number if it's only wages. About 30m will be NI, the rest is hard to fathom if you compare it to this. https://www.spotrac.com/epl/liverpool-fc/payroll/ . And that makes us still within the UEFA target of 70% of turnover even in a covid impacted season. 

Blah blah.

Would you pay Salah 500k a week for the next 5 years?

Yes or no?

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It would seem unlikely it would be American accountancy practices because you could compare us to Manchester United who are listed on NYSE, carry some significant acquisitional debt and still out spend us despite turning over very little more. I just think they're tight. Perhaps some FSG people are paid via some type of "services" that falls in this "other" category in the accounts so our highest director remains somewhat insignificant. But our 326m seems a pretty unlikely number if it's only wages. About 30m will be NI, the rest is hard to fathom if you compare it to this. https://www.spotrac.com/epl/liverpool-fc/payroll/ . And that makes us still within the UEFA target of 70% of turnover even in a covid impacted season. 

Sadio’s agents fucking shit

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Blah blah.

Would you pay Salah 500k a week for the next 5 years?

Yes or no?

I've already said I wouldn't. I think 300k + bonuses should be our top offer. If that's not enough for him, let him run his contract out. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I've already said I wouldn't. I think 300k + bonuses should be our top offer. If that's not enough for him, let him run his contract out. 

Do you think he has trousered near 300 the last couple of years?

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's possible that there are tighter US rules for investment funds than for publicly quoted companies but who knows?  Good point about services because it is possible that a big chunk  of our Other Expenses goes to service some kind of advisory agreement with FSG which is what really funds the lifestyle of the FSG executives. The wages figure is hard to understand unless the nominal salaries of the first team squad are heavily supplemented by bonuses for winning something or for CL qualification / getting out of the group stages etc. 

11 minutes ago, aws said:

It's possible that there are tighter US rules for investment funds than for publicly quoted companies but who knows?  Good point about services because it is possible that a big chunk  of our Other Expenses goes to service some kind of advisory agreement with FSG which is what really funds the lifestyle of the FSG executives. The wages figure is hard to understand unless the nominal salaries of the first team squad are heavily supplemented by bonuses for winning something or for CL qualification / getting out of the group stages etc. 

Yeah, you'd have to think players can earn 40-50% more on bonuses if other incidentals around payroll are not included. 

We have made a point of having a higher proportion of players' wages made up of bonuses in recent years. Especially as compared to other clubs, which probably appeals to some players and not others.

It makes sense for Liverpool - just have to get the incentive structure right and then if players perform, then we pay them the 15-20m/year wages that they could get elsewhere. And if they don't, they get less.

The hard part, at least as it relates to Salah, is when players are past their peak. In general, their performances start to dip (some not very much, like Messi, some more, like Ronaldo, and most just fall off a cliff and are retired by 33/34 like Rooney) but their wage demands don't decline with their performances. That's why we'll sell him in the end - it will be that he's hearing from PSG or whoever that they'll give him a 400k/week contract for 5 years, and we'll never match it.

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

We have made a point of having a higher proportion of players' wages made up of bonuses in recent years. Especially as compared to other clubs, which probably appeals to some players and not others.

It makes sense for Liverpool - just have to get the incentive structure right and then if players perform, then we pay them the 15-20m/year wages that they could get elsewhere. And if they don't, they get less.

The hard part, at least as it relates to Salah, is when players are past their peak. In general, their performances start to dip (some not very much, like Messi, some more, like Ronaldo, and most just fall off a cliff and are retired by 33/34 like Rooney) but their wage demands don't decline with their performances. That's why we'll sell him in the end - it will be that he's hearing from PSG or whoever that they'll give him a 400k/week contract for 5 years, and we'll never match it.

I dont know when Salah will start to decline, but with the way he looks after himself I would expect him to remain very close to his current level until he’s 34/35 at least.

And I would say that the comparison with players like Rooney, who clearly didnt look after himself like Salah does is simply irrelevant.

It doesn't matter how good or not Salah is when he's 35, you can't pay a footballer 500k per week at that age, not named Messi. Good thing he's not actually asking for that.

Is this all based on a Daily Mirror article?

Or have I missed something, you know... 'newsworthy'?

8 hours ago, m0e said:

Is this all based on a Daily Mirror article?

Or have I missed something, you know... 'newsworthy'?

The echo ran one of their classics yesterday that reported the mirrors report, made a 500k head line and then hidden in the middle said something like "the echo understand Salah has not demanded 500k". 

Of course they ran about 5000 articles last summer reporting on reports we were after thiago and in each of them said "the echo understands thiago is not currently a target"

• Upvote 1

Once Catcher stated that he’s worried about our finances it was gospel that not only has Salah asked for 500k a week until he’a 45 but he wants the club to pay for a full refurbishment of the great pyramids of Giza and 6 months paid leave a season to go fishing on the Orinoco with Clive Allen

On 29/08/2021 at 16:38, AngryOfTuebrook said:

He's looking likely to get into our all-time Top Ten goalscorers within a matter of weeks. By the end of this season he should be breathing down Michael Owen's neck.

As one-season wonders go, he's not too shabby.

Screenshot_2021-08-29-16-30-33-22.jpg

Joint 11th now.

Chuffed for the little beardy.

He makes some atrocious decisions when on the ball.

That gola was a strikers finish. May be time to move him to the middle as he has lost a bit of pace and is not really a threat to go by top players one on one anymore.

The bit at about 22:30, where he takes the ball out of the air over his shoulder, and then the two touches afterward.

Nothing came of it, so it won't be noted, but it was astonishing skill.

The best player in the Prem, IMO.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Anubis said:

The look on this kids face when he got the shirt.

Fucker will have that on ebay by the time he gets home.

What a player, 149 PL games, 98 PL goals and 35 PL assists so far for us. 

Hopefully I get to watch him score both his 99 and his 100 PL goal for us next Saturday. 

36 - 32 - 10

38 - 22 - 8

34 - 19 - 10

37 - 22 - 5

4 - 3 - 2

Total: 149 - 98 - 35

• Upvote 1