Jump to content
WhiskeyJar

Mohamed Salah

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

 

I think we would need to go as high as 400k a week to keep him. That would put him on a par with De Bruyne.

 

The likes of Sancho and De Gea earn 350 to 375k a week, I don't see Salah settling for any less than that. 

He renewed 2 years ago didn't he? And at the time didn't need to be on a par with those outside the club. We supposedly pay pretty good bonuses too, which is why got me, 300 with top ups should do the job. And if it doesn't, just let him see out his contract and start planning without him unless psg offer something mental next summer as mbappe is out. 

8 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

As far as the age thing, He will only be 31. He could still have another 4 or 5 years left at the very top, he doesn't drink alcohol and is in excellent physical shape. There's no reason why he couldn't do a Ronaldo, Suarez or Messi and keep performing at a similar level to how he is currently. The obvious issue will be as he starts to lose his pace. 

I agree he'll play on. But I guess that plays into the equation. While he might be in great shape, is someone going to offer him 500k at 31 for 4 years, which is what he'll want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he's asking for half a million a week then he and his agent must know that  we are not going to pay that not a chance in hell so either he's looking for a exit strategy or it's a bargaining tool .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

If he's asking for half a million a week then he and his agent must know that  we are not going to pay that not a chance in hell so either he's looking for a exit strategy or it's a bargaining tool .

He's probably fine with either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

If he's asking for half a million a week then he and his agent must know that  we are not going to pay that not a chance in hell so either he's looking for a exit strategy or it's a bargaining tool .

Yeah it strikes me as a deliberately OTT request.  

I say we call his agent's bluff and walk away from negotiations and let Salah play for us for his current wage for the next 2 years and let him walk for free.  

 

No drama, no surprises, two year countdown to plan for replacing him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

If he's asking for half a million a week then he and his agent must know that  we are not going to pay that not a chance in hell so either he's looking for a exit strategy or it's a bargaining tool .

Well Mo has been making noises about how much he wants to finish his career here. Id say this is his agent. I dont know what other players he represents but, Id say Mo is the brightest jewel in his crown.

 

That cunt agent will see Mo as his biggest paycheck and, if he can get him to Real, again, boost his own image for future players. Unless Mo comes out and says he wants 500k a week to finish his career here, my ire is at the agent.

 

Mo knows the club isnt going to negotiate wages with his agent over any number starting with a 4. Buckle up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

As far as the age thing, He will only be 31. He could still have another 4 or 5 years left at the very top, he doesn't drink alcohol and is in excellent physical shape. There's no reason why he couldn't do a Ronaldo, Suarez or Messi and keep performing at a similar level to how he is currently. The obvious issue will be as he starts to lose his pace. 

I think he's already lost a bit of pace. Two years ago he'd regularly leave defenders  in his dust but it's often more of an even race now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Well Mo has been making noises about how much he wants to finish his career here. Id say this is his agent. I dont know what other players he represents but, Id say Mo is the brightest jewel in his crown.

 

That cunt agent will see Mo as his biggest paycheck and, if he can get him to Real, again, boost his own image for future players. Unless Mo comes out and says he wants 500k a week to finish his career here, my ire is at the agent.

 

Mo knows the club isnt going to negotiate wages with his agent over any number starting with a 4. Buckle up!

I hate this idea people blame agents and not the player. If mo just wanted to sign for 250k to get it done, he'd tell his agent to go and do it. He's allowing his agent to go and do his job to get the absolute maximum. If Mo wants to stay on a sensible wage, he'd stay and it would be fuck all to do with the agent. It's just nonsense bogeyman stuff that. 

 

Sure, agents are cunts. But part of that is because players sit back and let them get every penny they can because money (not unreasonably) is a major motivating factor to them. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I hate this idea people blame agents and not the player. If mo just wanted to sign for 250k to get it done, he'd tell his agent to go and do it. He's allowing his agent to go and do his job to get the absolute maximum. If Mo wants to stay on a sensible wage, he'd stay and it would be fuck all to do with the agent. It's just nonsense bogeyman stuff that. 

 

Sure, agents are cunts. But part of that is because players sit back and let them get every penny they can because money (not unreasonably) is a major motivating factor to them. 

Spot on. 
There are obviously agents who will manipulate players and clubs to increase their clout and their own payday, but players know this and still willingly sign up with those agents, because they are happy to have an agent with connections.

 

It’s amazing that 15 years after Steven Gerrard actually came out publicly and told fans not to blame his agent for him wanting to move to Chelsea that we still have Liverpool fans blaming agents for these things.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is, he’s on less wages than Marcus Rashford while being the prems top scorer nearly every year he’s been back. He’s seeing unproven players like Sancho picking up double what he’s on and if he’s worth over £100 mill to the club, then his agent will want him being paid the big bucks.

 

The big problem Mo’s got is covid’s fucked him up for the big money move and with him being a year older, he's got no chance of getting that wage anywhere in this climate.

 

How many players do we see fall off a cliff when getting these kind of wages. Auba, Sanchez, de gea & hazard to name a few  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red74 said:

The thing is, he’s on less wages than Marcus Rashford while being the prems top scorer nearly every year he’s been back. He’s seeing unproven players like Sancho picking up double what he’s on and if he’s worth over £100 mill to the club, then his agent will want him being paid the big bucks.

 

The big problem Mo’s got is covid’s fucked him up for the big money move and with him being a year older, he's got no chance of getting that wage anywhere in this climate.

 

How many players do we see fall off a cliff when getting these kind of wages. Auba, Sanchez, de gea & hazard to name a few  

I think Salah is more of the Ronaldo, Messi Ilk in that he'll still be a top player into his mid-thirties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stop fucking around act like a big club and pay him what he’s worth - 300 to 400k - or sell him in Jan and start again. We’ll do none of that of course fart around for the next 18 months turning the fans against him then give him away for nothing to Chelsea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Spot on. 
There are obviously agents who will manipulate players and clubs to increase their clout and their own payday, but players know this and still willingly sign up with those agents, because they are happy to have an agent with connections.

 

It’s amazing that 15 years after Steven Gerrard actually came out publicly and told fans not to blame his agent for him wanting to move to Chelsea that we still have Liverpool fans blaming agents for these things.

I think the influence of agents is strong though.....some of them will be getting in players ears telling them they can get more money/are being underpaid compared to peers etc.....plus things like lifestyle, selling them the idea of living in a sunny climate or a big cosmopolitan fashionable city.

 

Impressionable young men with loads of money and demanding wives etc who are so far detatched from reality are going to be influenced by all this stuff by these shithouse agents....not all of them of course and i am not saying Salah is one, but definitely plenty of them will be and lets face it some of them aren't the brightest are they - add in greed, wanting a glamorous lifestyle etc etc and it isn't hard to see how these snake agents can manipulate them/turn their heads..."you should be getting this....you can get that" blah blah blah.

 

All a big part of the shitness of modern footy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red74 said:

The thing is, he’s on less wages than Marcus Rashford while being the prems top scorer nearly every year he’s been back. He’s seeing unproven players like Sancho picking up double what he’s on and if he’s worth over £100 mill to the club, then his agent will want him being paid the big bucks.

 

The big problem Mo’s got is covid’s fucked him up for the big money move and with him being a year older, he's got no chance of getting that wage anywhere in this climate.

 

How many players do we see fall off a cliff when getting these kind of wages. Auba, Sanchez, de gea & hazard to name a few  

Unless you're the world's top earner though, there's always someone on more than you. Sometimes these players get deals for being in the right place at the right time - like everyone in every job, we don't all earn comparatively equal. I don't object to him wanting 500k, he can want whatever he thinks he's worth. He's not earning at our club though. So he has 2 years to run out with us unless someone offers 100m+, which seems unlikely. I'm sure he could put 100k per week on his wage though if he signed right now - so if he runs his contract down that's 10m he passes on. Maybe at 31, there won't be those offers. Wrong place, wrong time. I'm sure we'll offer him good money. But he won't be earning what he could earn at psg, city or United. And frankly, he and his agent know that before starting to negotiate.

 

He's out to get the best he can and good on him for that. He's not running a charitable trust for poor Bostonian billionaires. Bottom line though, they must know before negotiating we're pretty unlikely to be paying him more than around 10-20% more than the next highest earner, just like his last deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, an tha said:

I think the influence of agents is strong though.....some of them will be getting in players ears telling them they can get more money/are being underpaid compared to peers etc.....plus things like lifestyle, selling them the idea of living in a sunny climate or a big cosmopolitan fashionable city.

 

Impressionable young men with loads of money and demanding wives etc who are so far detatched from reality are going to be influenced by all this stuff by these shithouse agents....not all of them of course and i am not saying Salah is one, but definitely plenty of them will be and lets face it some of them aren't the brightest are they - add in greed, wanting a glamorous lifestyle etc etc and it isn't hard to see how these snake agents can manipulate them/turn their heads..."you should be getting this....you can get that" blah blah blah.

 

All a big part of the shitness of modern footy.

Given how Salah has donated huge sums to build a hospital and possibly other good deeds,I am not sure I see his wife as being particularly demanding. I can see outside pressures on him specifically given his status as one of the most celebrated Egyptians in modern history though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Given how Salah has donated huge sums to build a hospital and possibly other good deeds,I am not sure I see his wife as being particularly demanding. I can see outside pressures on him specifically given his status as one of the most celebrated Egyptians in modern history though.

As i said I wasn't referring to Salah as an individual....just making the point about some players/generally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, an tha said:

As i said I wasn't referring to Salah as an individual....just making the point about some players/generally.

Yeah,fair point. I can see Salah and many other footballers not interfering in what their agents do most of the time until they cause the player bad headlines. This may be time for Salah to gag his agent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yeah,fair point. I can see Salah and many other footballers not interfering in what their agents do most of the time until they cause the player bad headlines. This may be time for Salah to gag his agent.

His agent seems like he is a proper twat - very unlike Salah who seems very grounded and humble and decent....but ultimately his agent 'works for' him and salah should tell him IMO to keep his mouth shut.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, an tha said:

His agent seems like he is a proper twat - very unlike Salah who seems very grounded and humble and decent....but ultinately his agent 'works for' him and salah should tell him IMO to keep his mouth shut.

Cannot agree more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Cannot agree more.

Although all that said how much is this 'story' a case of a paper making shite up to have a headline/paper not having a clue what he actually earns already and what his actual demands are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×