You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Ive said before I dont have a problem selling players to buy better ones. It's a reality even if many dont want to accept it.

But, I dont think Id be selling Mo unless of course he doesnt want to stay. Id hate to sell any of our front three and again, presuming none want to leave it would be Bobby first then Sadio.

Much as Id love Mbappe here, I think it's a pipe dream. I think his heart is set on Real. Im also not onboard with the idea of selling Mo or Sadio for a player many think is ok to spend 3 years here to then grant his wish to move on to Real.

Just my take on it though.

In fairness, Mo and Sadio might only have another 3 years in their legs at the top. For arguments sake, Mbappe would still be worth a heap in 3 years time.

Moot point as we aren't in for him.

3 hours ago, The Guest said:

It’s really not that daft an idea considering our financial situation.  I know there’s bad examples as well but had we not sold Coutinho we wouldn’t be sitting here on 19-6.  If by some miracle Mbappe wants to come here it would be daft to not entertain selling one of out older big stars to fund it.

We are sitting on 19-6 because of who we bought, selling Coutinho is the reason we were allowed to buy players but it is not the only way it could have been done. 

If we want to invest to improve the squad, we either have to get money from the owners themselves or we need to sell and invest wisely. History tells us that the owners will not put their own money in so we are left with the options of not investing or selling to raise money to hopefully improve the team overall. No doubt if we do sell someone, it will be because they want to go and not because we need to sell them to raise money.

20 hours ago, Pete said:

Its straight up racism, or islamophobia, or both at this stage.

Salah should have had at least 2 or 3 more pens this year but little england won't have it.

2 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

We are sitting on 19-6 because of who we bought, selling Coutinho is the reason we were allowed to buy players but it is not the only way it could have been done. 

If we want to invest to improve the squad, we either have to get money from the owners themselves or we need to sell and invest wisely. History tells us that the owners will not put their own money in so we are left with the options of not investing or selling to raise money to hopefully improve the team overall. No doubt if we do sell someone, it will be because they want to go and not because we need to sell them to raise money.

I thought it was obvious but my point was that I doubt we would have signed the best centre back in the world and the best goalkeeper in the world had we not sold Coutinho.  We might have got others and still been relatively successful.  I do really doubt that we would have won both those trophies though.  I do agree that we only tend to sell starting players when they want to leave.  Some of the shit Salah has come out with lately and the face on Mane most of the time tell you they wouldn’t exactly be against leaving though.

14 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I thought it was obvious but my point was that I doubt we would have signed the best centre back in the world and the best goalkeeper in the world had we not sold Coutinho.  We might have got others and still been relatively successful.  I do really doubt that we would have won both those trophies though.  I do agree that we only tend to sell starting players when they want to leave.  Some of the shit Salah has come out with lately and the face on Mane most of the time tell you they wouldn’t exactly be against leaving though.

What shit is that, saying he wants to break all records with Liverpool?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't think Van Dijk was the best CB in the world when we bought him. Liverpool provided that platform for him.

Na he was 100% the best centre back in football.  It’s why the tightest cunts in world football were willing to pay an unprecedented 75m for him.  Liverpool and the champions league brought him to the worlds attention allowed him to show it to people who weren’t aware.  He’s absolutely streets ahead of any other centre back currently playing now and I wouldn’t replace him with any other centre back I’ve ever seen play.  You don’t just go from not the best to that level in a year or so.

Mbappe, fucking hell, will people just stop it. We had to loan out minamino in January to finance loaning kabak. Mbappe would not only cost more than anyone of our players would raise, he'd demand a salary of the current front 3 combined. It's fucking nonsense. He is not coming here and all these links started as a fucking joke. 

As for this stuff about selling coutinho won us the European cup and the league, fucks sake. Where did selling Suarez get us? The same fella was in charge of buying the players. Luckily he had klopp on hand this time, but it doesn't mean we'll get it right again. Instead of looking for excuses for the owners on why we need to sell our best players to get new players, would we not be better understanding where the 40% of our turnover that doesn't go on wages goes? Because it doesn't go on buying footballers. Covid or not, we really should be capable of buying some players - and fucking none of them will be mbappe. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Mbappe, fucking hell, will people just stop it. We had to loan out minamino in January to finance loaning kabak. Mbappe would not only cost more than anyone of our players would raise, he'd demand a salary of the current front 3 combined. It's fucking nonsense. He is not coming here and all these links started as a fucking joke. 

As for this stuff about selling coutinho won us the European cup and the league, fucks sake. Where did selling Suarez get us? The same fella was in charge of buying the players. Luckily he had klopp on hand this time, but it doesn't mean we'll get it right again. Instead of looking for excuses for the owners on why we need to sell our best players to get new players, would we not be better understanding where the 40% of our turnover that doesn't go on wages goes? Because it doesn't go on buying footballers. Covid or not, we really should be capable of buying some players - and fucking none of them will be mbappe. 

There's no proof Minamino was loaned out in order to afford Kabak.

And secondly, the sale of Coutinho is the absolute best example of an intelligent sell to buy policy, no matter if we planned for it or not. You keep and develop players and if they want to leave, you let them leave and you replace them. There's nothing outwardly wrong with that. In fact, it's quite a common sense way to run a football club. But yes, sometimes the lack of spending is frustrating in some respects. 

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

And secondly, the sale of Coutinho is the absolute best example of an intelligent sell to buy policy, no matter if we planned for it or not. You keep and develop players and if they want to leave, you let them leave and you replace them. There's nothing outwardly wrong with that. In fact, it's quite a common sense way to run a football club. But yes, sometimes the lack of spending is frustrating in some respects. 

Pretty plausible though.

Zero talk of him going anywhere then suddenly on the last day after we were forced due to Matip to do something he is off on loan....

I'd say it stacks (no pun intended) up.

Mbappe appears to be running his contract down.  I think he knows it’s the only real way for him to control his own career.  PSG have got infinite money and won’t sell to anyone players of his level.  By the way he’s talking he wants to improve as a player to try and become the next Messi/Ronaldo.  I don’t think that happens if he goes to Madrid.  Barca haven’t got the money.  I don’t think he would fit the way city play but they’ve certainly got the money to convince him if that’s what he’s into but if that was his main driver he would surely just stay at PSG.

It’s not far from the realms of possibility that Klopp has been in his ear telling him every last detail about where he would play him and how he would improve his game etc.  Van Dijk could have went anywhere and came here on the back of the same sell from Klopp.  If he runs his contract down and it’s just wages and signing on fee then it could become a very real possibility he comes here.

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't think Van Dijk was the best CB in the world when we bought him. Liverpool provided that platform for him.

Very good point. We’re not at 19-6 because we bought the best players. We’re there bacause we bought good players, fitting our system and our plan, and because we had the best manager, coaching team and other staff in place to implement that plan.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There's no proof of anything. Except there is. There was no proof coutinho paid for alisson and vvd. All the mugs on here at the time used to go on about how the money was still there. And how the fekir money was there, but it had been moved onto alisson. Then klopp told everyone. If we didn't loan out minamino to raise some money, why exactly did we do it? Or why didn't we do it earlier in the window? The owners refused to sanction a new signing. Matip got injured. We hit the panic button and found a way to finance the loan by shifting minamino. It's so obvious, it's stupid to even discuss it. It's the same argument that was used when everyone was banging on about replacing lovren in the summer when the money had already been spent on Kostas. 

Selling your best players is never a good thing. It doesn't mean if it has to happen you can't handle it well, but making your starting point "which star can we flog now" is an absolute dickhead policy. 

• Upvote 2

If Mbappe coming means we have to let go of Salah, I’d actually pass. It’s Bobby we need to replace, not Mo. Get someone who’s capable of doing some of Bobby’s best work outside the box but also deliver 20 goals a season. Say a front three of Mane, Salah, Kane would be much better than Mane, Mbappe, Firmino.

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

If Mbappe coming means we have to let go of Salah, I’d actually pass. It’s Bobby we need to replace, not Mo. Get someone who’s capable of doing some of Bobby’s best work outside the box but also deliver 20 goals a season. Say a front three of Mane, Salah, Kane would be much better than Mane, Mbappe, Firmino.

Salah out, Mbappe in

Bobby out, Salah in

Easy.

42 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

There's no proof of anything. Except there is. There was no proof coutinho paid for alisson and vvd. All the mugs on here at the time used to go on about how the money was still there. And how the fekir money was there, but it had been moved onto alisson. Then klopp told everyone. If we didn't loan out minamino to raise some money, why exactly did we do it? Or why didn't we do it earlier in the window? The owners refused to sanction a new signing. Matip got injured. We hit the panic button and found a way to finance the loan by shifting minamino. It's so obvious, it's stupid to even discuss it. It's the same argument that was used when everyone was banging on about replacing lovren in the summer when the money had already been spent on Kostas. 

Selling your best players is never a good thing. It doesn't mean if it has to happen you can't handle it well, but making your starting point "which star can we flog now" is an absolute dickhead policy. 

We bought Davies in addition to bringing in Kabak. Who paid for that one? 

And as far as why we did it, Minamino wasn't playing or progressing. So that's a pretty good reason to let him go. 

Also, selling stars is absolutely fine if they want to leave. Coutinho wanted to leave? Ok, fuck off. You then use the money to get better to the point where your next top players don't want to leave so quick because you're winning stuff, which is exactly what happened. 

10 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

We bought Davies in addition to bringing in Kabak. Who paid for that one? 

And as far as why we did it, Minamino wasn't playing or progressing. So that's a pretty good reason to let him go. 

Also, selling stars is absolutely fine if they want to leave. Coutinho wanted to leave? Ok, fuck off. You then use the money to get better to the point where your next top players don't want to leave so quick because you're winning stuff, which is exactly what happened. 

The fa paid for Davies by paying Gomez's wages since he got injured. And then we'll sell him in the summer for a profit. It was just an opportunity to make money, nothing more. 

You'll never keep players if they want to go. Well you might, but it is as likely to blow up in your face as replacing them. But that's not the conversation we're having. This thread (and others on here) has been "let's get rid of our best player so we can sign some flavour of the day who might be our best player". And then people wonder why players want to play elsewhere. It's astonishing how little respect is given to our players, especially it seems from the very same people who can't stop giving love to our Bostonian overlords. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Herp McDerp said:

In terms of longevity/consistency with us, sure. As a person, absolutely. In terms of raw ability it's no contest, Suarez was and probably still is streets ahead.

Someone posted the 4 0 on the Everton match thread the other day. I was imagining a front three of Mo, Sadio and Suarez in the middle, absolutely unplayable.