You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

6 minutes ago, aRdja said:

You’ve just picked 4 of the best players in the world. I mean Messi made Pedro look class. Firmino is a decent forward but he needs to score more goals. He’d be the easiest to replace amongst our front three.

Do you think every player fits in well with Messi and Ronaldo? That's a rhetorical question, the answer is no. On paper, Firmino is the exact type of player that would compliment them.

And yes, Firmino's stats would be the easiest to replace, but if he left, our style of play would have to change. 

14 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Do you think every player fits in well with Messi and Ronaldo? That's a rhetorical question, the answer is no. On paper, Firmino is the exact type of player that would compliment them.

And yes, Firmino's stats would be the easiest to replace, but if he left, our style of play would have to change. 

As a team, when Jota replaced Bobby there's no doubt from what I saw that the performances and results improved. Bobby isn't untouchable.

19 hours ago, Code said:

Imagine if Mane and Firmino actually managed to score once in a while, then Salah did not have to save our ass every game. 

Last four seasons in the PL.

Salah:
86 goals                 

Mane and Firmino together:
97 goals

Logic, lets sell Salah.

Morientes hardly scored any goals and yet you said we should have kept him the other day because the win percentage went down when he didn’t play.

When Salah doesn’t play or is on the bench our win percentage is higher.

When Mane didn’t play against Villa we got slapped 7-2.  When Salah didn’t play against Leicester we beat them 3-0.  When he didn’t start against Palace we were 4-0 up before he came on and stat padded against a team that just wanted to get off the pitch.

The reality is that it’s all opinion.  All these stats you pull out of your arse contradict shit you’ve said in the past sometimes even days ago.  Going on about what Salah did 3 or 4 years ago is irrelevant to his impact on the team now and going forward.  He’s been pretty good this season up until the last month or so which is the argument for keeping him.  The argument for not is building and building all the time.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

He's still a world class player so whoever we get in has to be world class or capable of getting to that level. Right now, I wouldn't favour him going.

I like Mo and I like Sadio. Two great players. I don't know how much they like each other. No problem with that once it doesn't impact on the rest of the team. At times, it seems they don't pass to each other when it's the easier option. Our teams in the 70s and 80s had players that didn't like each other. Crazy Horse and Tommy Smith most notably. Keane and Schmeicheal hated each other. Cole and Sheringham. It didn't impact on results for us or the Mancs.

Our attack has looked sluggish the last three games. I have no doubt they will find their form very soon because they are world class, but the bigger issue is that Jurgen will begin to have an eye on breaking them up to get us right for the next 4-5 years, whether it is this summer or next. 

• Upvote 6

19 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

He's still a world class player so whoever we get in has to be world class or capable of getting to that level. Right now, I wouldn't favour him going.

I like Mo and I like Sadio. Two great players. I don't know how much they like each other. No problem with that once it doesn't impact on the rest of the team. At times, it seems they don't pass to each other when it's the easier option. Our teams in the 70s and 80s had players that didn't like each other. Crazy Horse and Tommy Smith most notably. Keane and Schmeicheal hated each other. Cole and Sheringham. It didn't impact on results for us or the Mancs.

Our attack has looked sluggish the last three games. I have no doubt they will find their form very soon because they are world class, but the bigger issue is that Jurgen will begin to have an eye on breaking them up to get us right for the next 4-5 years, whether it is this summer or next. 

Nail on head as usual, Ronnie. Selling Mo or Sadio or Bobby is unpalatable but will come soon or if one of them does want to go. Think I was about 16 before I realised some of our players didnt exactly like each other. You can add Kev and Ray to that list and they had to be separated at Melwood on more than one occasion.

I think Sadio's main beef is Jurgen or the coaching staff, have hooked him in games rather than Mo which, in turn has probably meant Sadio is less reluctant to pass to Mo resulting in Mo doing the same.

That said, the sign of a great manager is moving players on at the right time rather than letting the player dictate the timing.

5 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

As a team, when Jota replaced Bobby there's no doubt from what I saw that the performances and results improved. Bobby isn't untouchable.

By performances and results, you mean two games, because that's the only time Salah, Jota and Mane started in a 3. One great vs. Atalanta, one average vs. Ajax.

We won 7 nil against Palace with Salah not starting. Is he also not untouchable, then?

3 hours ago, The Guest said:

Morientes hardly scored any goals and yet you said we should have kept him the other day because the win percentage went down when he didn’t play.

When Salah doesn’t play or is on the bench our win percentage is higher.

When Mane didn’t play against Villa we got slapped 7-2.  When Salah didn’t play against Leicester we beat them 3-0.  When he didn’t start against Palace we were 4-0 up before he came on and stat padded against a team that just wanted to get off the pitch.

The reality is that it’s all opinion.  All these stats you pull out of your arse contradict shit you’ve said in the past sometimes even days ago.  Going on about what Salah did 3 or 4 years ago is irrelevant to his impact on the team now and going forward.  He’s been pretty good this season up until the last month or so which is the argument for keeping him.  The argument for not is building and building all the time.

The current and latest facts are these.

Mo Salah is the PL toppscorer with 13 goals, Mane is number 15 on that list with 6 goals, behind players like Maupay, Watkins, Wilson etc.

4A3F834C-81E9-484E-9DFF-108EBB9F4587.jpeg

485E67EA-90ED-49FB-8879-3EA0B4A9D031.jpeg

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

By performances and results, you mean two games, because that's the only time Salah, Jota and Mane started in a 3. One great vs. Atalanta, one average vs. Ajax.

We won 7 nil against Palace with Salah not starting. Is he also not untouchable, then?

No player in the first 11 should be untouchable. That's when complacency sets in, which is happening now with the front 3. Who scored the first goal against Palace? Where has he been since? Injured? If Salah, Mane or Bobby get the nod no matter what the other players do in their absence, what motivates them to perform when they do come in?

The Liverpool Way used to be the man with the shirt is only going to lose it when another player wants it more. Personally I think Kliopp should not only be saying this to them, but showing them at the same time.

29 minutes ago, Code said:

The current and latest facts are these.

Mo Salah is the PL toppscorer with 13 goals, Mane is number 15 on that list with 6 goals, behind players like Maupay, Watkins, Wilson etc.

4A3F834C-81E9-484E-9DFF-108EBB9F4587.jpeg

485E67EA-90ED-49FB-8879-3EA0B4A9D031.jpeg

Let’s go down the rabbit hole of code stats.

Not including the Charity Shield Salah’s win % when starting is 52%.  When he doesn’t start games it’s a win % of 100%.  Using the Code Morientes rule it’s obvious what Klopp needs to do.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

No player in the first 11 should be untouchable. That's when complacency sets in, which is happening now with the front 3. Who scored the first goal against Palace? Where has he been since? Injured? If Salah, Mane or Bobby get the nod no matter what the other players do in their absence, what motivates them to perform when they do come in?

The Liverpool Way used to be the man with the shirt is only going to lose it when another player wants it more. Personally I think Kliopp should not only be saying this to them, but showing them at the same time.

Yes, but you used essentially a 1 game sample size to say a player who still starts virtually every game and has been here 5 years isn't untouchable and the team was better without him. No, whether you agree with it or not, he kind of is untouchable. He'll still play virtually every game because he has a status in Klopp's eyes. Jota offers a quality rotation option, who could in theory replace any of the 3 in a given game, which is very valuable, but that's about it. He's been here 5 minutes. 

19 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, but you used essentially a 1 game sample size to say a player who still starts virtually every game and has been here 5 years isn't untouchable and the team was better without him. No, whether you agree with it or not, he kind of is untouchable. He'll still play virtually every game because he has a status in Klopp's eyes. Jota offers a quality rotation option, who could in theory replace any of the 3 in a given game, which is very valuable, but that's about it. He's been here 5 minutes. 

Salah has earned his stripes, as has Mane and arguably to a slightly lesser extent Firmino. All three are class players and any team would be improved by them. But this isn't the first team in the world to have World class players and every coach of those teams has to know when a player needs to be rotated or moved on. Much as Ferguson is pilloried, he wasn't scared of moving on his best players if there was a benefit to his team. 

At the same time these players are right up against it at the moment, things not going their way and hopefully they can fight their way through it. I can see a rotation for the fa Cup game and hopefully it starts there. 

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

We are struggling to find the net, and our main striker has scored only 14 goals over the last two seasons. It’s perfectly reasonable to ask questions. Maybe he shouldn’t start every game?

6 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Nail on head as usual, Ronnie. Selling Mo or Sadio or Bobby is unpalatable but will come soon or if one of them does want to go. Think I was about 16 before I realised some of our players didnt exactly like each other. You can add Kev and Ray to that list and they had to be separated at Melwood on more than one occasion.

I think Sadio's main beef is Jurgen or the coaching staff, have hooked him in games rather than Mo which, in turn has probably meant Sadio is less reluctant to pass to Mo resulting in Mo doing the same.

That said, the sign of a great manager is moving players on at the right time rather than letting the player dictate the timing.

Great to see Jota coming in Docker and show he belongs at a title chasing club. I think Jurgen had high hopes that Taki would make a good impression as well, but he is definitely beginning to plan for a whole new front three. 

At least none of them seem actively bothered about leaving which is a real nice place to be. With Suarez, you always felt he would head for Madrid or Barca. 

Would love us to sign Grealish. He's a knobhead, but potentially world class.

On 05/01/2021 at 11:32, TheHowieLama said:

Doesn't Mane have the same amount of league golas from open play? I think the same amount of assists as well.

On 05/01/2021 at 11:34, Code said:

Eh no.

On 05/01/2021 at 11:35, TheHowieLama said:

Are you sure?  I will check.

On 05/01/2021 at 11:55, TheHowieLama said:

I have to hold my hands up here lads - in the league Salah has two more golas (not pens) than Mane. One more assist.

In League and CL it is one and one. I did see that Mane has one more MOTM and learned that Salah leads the league in UnsTch. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Mo Salah. Top scorer in the League on 15.

4 goals in 3 games. Should have been 5 if not for the disallowed one vs Spurs.

Another 20 goal season. Put some respect on his fucking name.

"Liability", "undroppable no matter how bad he gets" being a couple of particular pearlers from the ancient archives of .. mid-January. The fucking cheek of some people. An absolutely heroic football player.

Just now, Herp McDerp said:

Dont see what all the fuss is about myself. If you remove his pace goal from the equation he scored a bog standard striker's goal today. Calvert-Lewin is twice the player.

I mean it, Salah could be very good. Obviously he will never eclipse the likes of Jelavic but he has potential.

10 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

"Liability", "undroppable no matter how bad he gets" being a couple of particular pearlers from the ancient archives of .. mid-January. The fucking cheek of some people. An absolutely heroic football player.

I think some of our fans are just fucking spoilt and have short memories.

Yes it is true his level dropped for a few weeks. But so did the level of almost the whole team. The intensity of abuse some people specifically reserve for Salah in such periods is shameful.

Those people would only truly appreciate him when he is gone.

• Upvote 3