You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

Good news but let's be honest, contracts mean fuck all.

Depends what is in the contract. If there is a buyout clause and it's a very high one then it's got to be a good thing.

Things are no different really, still a Liverpool player and at least he's here for the upcoming season.

"It demonstrates two things very clearly - his belief in Liverpool and our belief in him," said Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp.

Coutinho - Jan 2017

Upon signing the contract, the Brazil forward told Liverpoolfc.com: “I would like to thank everybody at the club, first of all.

“I am very happy to sign a new contract here. It is a club that I am very grateful to and this shows my happiness here. I will work much harder to repay the belief shown in me.

“I signed this new contract to stay here for a few more years because it’s a great honour for me. It gives me great happiness because I was welcomed here with open arms by everyone at the club and the supporters right from my first day. I am very thankful to this football club for everything.”

Maybe Mo is cut from different cloth but sadly in the cuntfest that is modern footy it is hard to take anything that is said as anything other than shite.

• Upvote 1

It puts an end to any imminent transfer talk and could also play a part in convincing any targets we may have. You'd have to have something wrong with you to treat this as anything but good news.

It does do that - yes.

It is a sad reflection on the game though that to effectively ensure we keep a player for at least this season who was only a year into a long term contract anyway that we have to do this....but it is the way things are i suppose.

Hopefully we can kick on and buck the trend of our best players wanting to go elsewhere to win things and if this is the start of that then great

It does do that - yes.

It is a sad reflection on the game though that to effectively ensure we keep a player for at least this season who was only a year into a long term contract anyway that we have to do this....but it is the way things are i suppose.

Hopefully we can kick on and buck the trend of our best players wanting to go elsewhere to win things and if this is the start of that then great

I would imagine the biggest reason for a new contract is that he has surpassed expectations so the new contract bumps his pay to reflect this. Maybe he would have stayed anyway, this just ensures he is rewarded for his efforts while hopefully helping to keep him at the club.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/305670-jurgen-klopp-mohamed-salah-contract-liverpool-fc

Jürgen Klopp believes Mohamed Salah's decision to a sign a new long-term contract is an indication of the direction in which Liverpool are heading.

The forward has committed his future to the Reds by putting pen to paper on the deal, just over a year after initially arriving on Merseyside from AS Roma.

Salah’s standing within the game has risen astronomically over the course of the last 12 months after he fired 44 goals in just 52 appearances for the club.

Upon his return to Melwood to begin pre-season training on Monday morning, Klopp explained to Liverpoolfc.com why he feels the news of the Egyptian’s new contract speaks volumes.

The boss said: “I think this news can be seen for what it is; rewarding a person who performed and contributed greatly for the team and the club last season.

“It demonstrates two things very clearly also - his belief in Liverpool and our belief in him.

“We want world-class talent to see they have a home at Anfield where they can fulfil all their professional dreams and ambitions - we are working hard together to achieve this.

“When someone like Mo Salah commits and says this place is my home now, it speaks very loudly I think.

“Equally, our commitment to him says we see his value and want him to grow even more and get even better within our environment.

“The key thing to remember is the best thing about Mo is that he never sees himself as being more important than the team or anyone else within it. He recognises his teammates and this club helped him achieve individual success last season. He sees the individual awards come because he is part of something bigger that is special.

“Mo reflects where we are as a team, I think. Last season was special with many special moments - but we want more.

“We want to be more successful and achieve more together - as the supporters sang so loudly, ‘we’re never gonna stop’. This has to be the attitude individually and collectively.”

I would imagine the biggest reason for a new contract is that he has surpassed expectations so the new contract bumps his pay to reflect this. Maybe he would have stayed anyway, this just ensures he is rewarded for his efforts while hopefully helping to keep him at the club.

I get that - just think that ultimately though it is fear of losing him that reallt drives it - he as we all know is barely a year into his contract but such is the modern game that here we are coughing up more money to keep him and try and tie him down when as said he is barely one year (yeah one excellent year to his credit) into a long and lucrative contract...

For me it should be a case of do great again this year lad, and we'll give you a big pay rise and new deal next summer...but those days are over aren't they!

I get that - just think that ultimately though it is fear of losing him that reallt drives it - he as we all know is barely a year into his contract but such is the modern game that here we are coughing up more money to keep him and try and tie him down when as said he is barely one year (yeah one excellent year to his credit) into a long and lucrative contract...

For me it should be a case of do great again this year lad, and we'll give you a big pay rise and new deal next summer...but those days are over aren't they!

It wasn't that lucrative, though, relative to what other teams will be offering him, and that's no doubt why we've signed him to a new deal.

It's certainly a great thing for the club (and by extension all us fans) that he's signed this deal. No, it doesn't mean he can't go to Real Madrid next summer, but it gives a great indication that he probably won't, and it also means we'll get a lot more money if he does.

If he hadn't signed it, he'd be under contract for a few more years, sure. But I think he was on 100k/week or something, right? So Madrid/Barca/whoever will be in his agent's ear saying "the best players in the world earn triple that, he should be with us" and that kind of thing works.

Now he might be on 220k/week or something, so if they come and offer him 250k/week it's not that big a deal. So we have a much better chance of convincing him to stay if he's successful with us, whereas if we were giving him 100k/week and they were offering 250k/week it's much more likely he'd leave.

We can just say "sure you might earn an extra 30k/week at Madrid, but there's a chance what happened to you at Chelsea repeats itself, you don't settle in there, and your career goes down the tubes. Why not stay here where you're the best player in the league and being talked about for the Balon D'Or?"

It wasn't that lucrative, though, relative to what other teams will be offering him, and that's no doubt why we've signed him to a new deal.

It's certainly a great thing for the club (and by extension all us fans) that he's signed this deal. No, it doesn't mean he can't go to Real Madrid next summer, but it gives a great indication that he probably won't, and it also means we'll get a lot more money if he does.

If he hadn't signed it, he'd be under contract for a few more years, sure. But I think he was on 100k/week or something, right? So Madrid/Barca/whoever will be in his agent's ear saying "the best players in the world earn triple that, he should be with us" and that kind of thing works.

Now he might be on 220k/week or something, so if they come and offer him 250k/week it's not that big a deal. So we have a much better chance of convincing him to stay if he's successful with us, whereas if we were giving him 100k/week and they were offering 250k/week it's much more likely he'd leave.

We can just say "sure you might earn an extra 30k/week at Madrid, but there's a chance what happened to you at Chelsea repeats itself, you don't settle in there, and your career goes down the tubes. Why not stay here where you're the best player in the league and being talked about for the Balon D'Or?"

All true - no argument.

But personally it all speaks volumes about what footy has become - which was my original "gripe" in this thread.

I know it is what it is - but we don't have to like it do we!

Anyway as said it keeps him for at least this season you would imagine - lets see what happens beyond that, maybe this is the start of us stopping all our best players leaving as they can win things here....

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/251748-philippe-coutinho-signs-new-long-term-liverpool-fc-deal

6 months later he had downed tools and wanted out...

Sadly in the modern game contracts mean next to fuck all.

Mo gets a big pay rise - we can get a big fee if he wants out and that is about it.

This.

Contracts in football are less useful than bog roll. I imagine that is what they are written on.

Mo Salah doesn't sign a new contract - " Mercenary bastard wants off why didn't he sign? He can fuck off to Barcalona!

Mo Salah does sign a new contract - Means nothing, worth nothing, he'll be off to Real in January!

There will be rumours to Real in the next few days, again.

Mo Salah doesn't sign a new contract - " Mercenary bastard wants off why didn't he sign? He can fuck off to Barcalona!

Mo Salah does sign a new contract - Means nothing, worth nothing, he'll be off to Real in January!

There will be rumours to Real in the next few days, again.

Sadly,both situations can mean both scenarios.When players intentions are interpreted in public by their 'snake oil salesmen' agents and they themselves speak in cliches in interviews,their true intentions are not often known. Salah does seem to genuinely enjoy playing at Liverpool but in modern football,who really knows?