You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

On 27/06/2022 at 08:29, Barrington Womble said:

Arsenal do about £15m per year more than us on match day without CL. They turnover about £150m less over all though. Just to put that in context, that's about 6 players on half a million per week. 

Thanks for sharing. I suppose I frame my arguement in the wrong way.

People were asking how come Arsenal spent 350k a week on Ozil and I gave an example of how.

That 150mil we make more is about how much more we now spend on wages, is it not?

We've got an unbelievably big group of coaches and backroom staff. Some of the best in the world.

We also reward players with improved contacts if they contribute on and off the pitch. Like we did with Adrian.

I'm not at all convinced Klopp would agree to pay Mo 400k a week, as he knows he can bring in 8 Diaz's for that, and he knows it may disrupt the squad unity.

That's Klopp's strategy.

Quality in every department and a clear wage structure. That's why he aligns well with FSG.

These Americans know all about marginal gains in sports, and have been using it for years. That means investing heavily in experts off the field, in systems and processes, and in expanding their network both commercially and for recruitment.

As usual, the Europeans are about 20 years behind them, and the Brits another 10.

2 hours ago, m0e said:

People were asking how come Arsenal spent 350k a week on Ozil and I gave an example of how.

That 150mil we make more is about how much more we now spend on wages, is it not?

We've got an unbelievably big group of coaches and backroom staff. Some of the best in the world.

We also reward players with improved contacts if they contribute on and off the pitch. Like we did with Adrian.

I'm not at all convinced Klopp would agree to pay Mo 400k a week, as he knows he can bring in 8 Diaz's for that, and he knows it may disrupt the squad unity.

That's Klopp's strategy.

Quality in every department and a clear wage structure. That's why he aligns well with FSG.

These Americans know all about marginal gains in sports, and have been using it for years. That means investing heavily in experts off the field, in systems and processes, and in expanding their network both commercially and for recruitment.

As usual, the Europeans are about 20 years behind them, and the Brits another 10.

I agree we have a policy around marginal gains. Which is a great thing in every industry, I don't think it's a massive sporting revelation.

I'm also not sure klopp is so daft as to think while 400k might be 4 Diaz's (it's not 8 as the lad is doing 90k per week), there are other costs where transfers are involved. Over his 5 years, that's another 8m or so a year depending where the targets get hit from a transfer. Nunez another 10-12m a year on his. So there's a balance to be had. We pay a number of players kicking around 200k if you believe the internet. Should we bin all of them for 2 Diaz's each? So come next summer, we could pay 100m for someone and 100k per week to replace salah, but yet we'd let Salah go because we won't pay him what he wants? 

We deffo pay more on wages than arsenal. As we should too, as we've got loads of spare money and earn loads more than them and play in the CL. It is weird though we can't find any scope in our wage structure for superstars. 

Marginal gains in sport is entirely a British thing, and they were well ahead of everyone else a decade or so ago. I'm not sure how much has changed but would expect them to still be at the forefront, even if they're not out in front by as much as they were.

5 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I personally think arsenal have gone backwards massively since Dein then Wenger left. Kronke(?) and legohead cant hold a candle to the previous pairing. Player wise, I dont rate any of theirs. I dont see all the hype about Saka.

Partey

Saka

Odegaard

Martinelli

Tentatively i'd be interested in any of those, but not for silly money or wages.  

Chances are that only Partey is likely good enough, but he seems unarsed about competing at a high level anymore. 

19 hours ago, m0e said:

That's Klopp's strategy.

Yet the Americans are fuckin useless at 'soccer.' They can stay 20 years ahead with their results. Our success come primarily from European coaches without whom the American's system is fucked.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yet the Americans are fuckin useless at 'soccer.' They can stay 20 years ahead with their results. Our success come primarily from European coaches without whom the American's system is fucked.

England not really in good shape on that front either.

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

England not really in good shape on that front either.

I have no attachment to England,other than living here,so I don't care if that's a dig or not. I will say that as a non international fan though that as much as I dont like England, at international level they are still a top 6 or 8 nation without really troubling the engravers. The Spurs of international football if you like.

My original point is that John Henry et al may have a good method but it's nothing without the skill of the largely European coaching staff. Brendan Rodgers is the only other manager to work under their system and that was largely crap. I really hope it is a stellar system as it will be severely tested after Klopp.

22 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Maybe one of the reasons we're streets ahead of Arsenal is because we don't pay one player radically more than those of equal importance?

Just a thought.

Yeah, it's fuck all to do with klopp is a fucking genius and their manager is a massive bellend with a shit hair cut who doesn't know what's going on without first looking at a Polaroid of guardiola to make sure he is dressing as badly? 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, it's fuck all to do with klopp is a fucking genius and their manager is a massive bellend with a shit hair cut who doesn't know what's going on without first looking at a Polaroid of guardiola to make sure he is dressing as badly? 

I said one of the reasons.

But go off if you want to mate. Whatever makes you happy.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Partey

Saka

Odegaard

Martinelli

Tentatively i'd be interested in any of those, but not for silly money or wages.  

Chances are that only Partey is likely good enough, but he seems unarsed about competing at a high level anymore. 

Out of that list of players you've managed to select the shittest one. For that reason alone I'm out