You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

8 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Yeah and get Alisson,Virg,Thiago etc knocking on the door wanting a move or pay rise

This is not a valid reasoning. Strikers almost always get paid more, goals win games. Messi was the top earner at Barcelona even when he was playing with Pique, Buskers, Xavi, Iniesta. Ronaldo at Madrid and I think only towards the very end of his Madrid career Ramos got close to Ronaldo but still didn't overtake him I believe. 

FSG's tight wage structure is good from the clubs perspective but it won't keep world class strikers like Salah. Or get new ones like Mbappe.

• Upvote 2

The whole wage issue could easily be solved by giving him a huge signing on fee. It could/should have been solved a long time ago too. 

Klopp mentioned a few years ago about turning this club in to the 'Final destination' but how can we ever be the final destination if we aren't prepared to do keep the top players?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

This is not a valid reasoning. Strikers almost always get paid more, goals win games. Messi was the top earner at Barcelona even when he was playing with Pique, Buskers, Xavi, Iniesta. 

Messi was earning over 90ml a year

Prior to the payouts

So yes Messi earned more but it caused a increase elsewhere. You think Virg is going to sit and say nothing on 160k a week less. Especially when our title winning form only happens when he plays. Nowhere near the title with Salah before he joined,miles off last year without him. Same for Alisson and the others that could get more elsewhere

Pique 480k

Busquets 423k

Alba 400k

Umtiti 230k

6 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Messi was earning over 90ml a year

Prior to the payouts

So yes Messi earned more but it caused a increase elsewhere. You think Virg is going to sit and say nothing on 160k a week less. Especially when our title winning form only happens when he plays. Nowhere near the title with Salah before he joined,miles off last year without him. Same for Alisson and the others that could get more elsewhere

Pique 480k

Busquets 423k

Alba 400k

Umtiti 230k

That is the cost of keeping world class players at the club my friend. They don't come cheap. It is how it is. A small percentage of those players will stay loyal on low (ish) salary compared to what they can get (e.g. Son at Spurs) whilst the majority will leave for better money.

Edit: I am not saying give whatever Salah wants btw (not that it matters even if I say it!) but the tight wage structure will only keep players to some extent.

1 minute ago, Carra_is_legend said:

That is the cost of keeping world class players at the club my friend. They don't come cheap. It is how it is. A small percentage of those players will stay loyal on low (ish) salary compared to what they can get (e.g. Son at Spurs) whilst the majority will leave for better money.

And look what it does to non oil clubs

Just giving them what they want isn't a option, but the club do need to figure out what they want to do because losing Salah and Mane for 35ml just looks the height of fucking stupidity

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

Just giving them what they want isn't a option, but the club do need to figure out what they want to do because losing Salah and Mane for 35ml just looks the height of fucking stupidity

Just giving them what they want like the Mancs did to Pogba was stupid.

Giving Salah a big pay rise now after what he has done here will not be so stupid. If he gets the money he wants elsewhere why would he not think he deserves the same from Liverpool for whom he has been banging goals left right and centre in the last few years?

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

None of Firmino, Mané or Salah were really quote unquote "proven" when we got them either, though.

Is right. The difference is though, that Klopp was given the time to work with them, and they were given the time to adapt.

We no longer have that luxury, as far as I can tell.

Also, Haaland, Nunez, Diaz are a level above them in the 'proven' stakes, both at CL level and in their domestic leagues. We're now shopping in a different store now - one only a few clubs can even think about entering.

Sure, we'll still go for potential like Konate - the difference is, that was in a positiin where we had 3 proven centre backs already. Same as when we signed Jota.

When we needed to replace Gini, it was Thiago. A much better option. That's what we have to do with Salah, Henderson and Keita.

3 big signings there and we're golden for the next 3 or 4 years.

3 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Why? Serious question. If you let players leave on frees, you get full value for their contracts. Why is for example getting 60m in a sale more valuable to us than having Salah play another season, especially when we've already lost a key attacker? What about that loss of continuity, all in one summer?

5 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Just giving them what they want like the Mancs did to Pogba was stupid.

Giving Salah a big pay rise now after what he has done here will not be so stupid. If he gets the money he wants elsewhere why would he not think he deserves the same from Liverpool for whom he has been banging goals left right and centre in the last few years?

Its not as if he has been doing it for free though. You sound like Pogba here.

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Why? Serious question. If you let players leave on frees, you get full value for their contracts. Why is for example getting 60m in a sale more valuable to us than having Salah play another season, especially when we've already lost a key attacker? What about that loss of continuity, all in one summer?

You have to look at opportunity cost as a real cost. Having Salah on the books only to leave for free costs us around 72m - 60m that we could have had as a fee plus 12m in wages.

By comparison, our most expensive player in our history, Virgil, costs us 25m/season in fee amortisation + wages. There is no way we are going to keep Salah for his final year for 72m, unless there is just absolutely no option at all. We either are convinced he will eventually sign a new deal or he'll be sold, that'd be my guess, at any rate.

Your point about the loss of continuity is well taken but if we really don't think he'll sign a new deal, then it's a huge risk to bring him back.

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

You have to look at opportunity cost as a real cost. Having Salah on the books only to leave for free costs us around 72m - 60m that we could have had as a fee plus 12m in wages.

By comparison, our most expensive player in our history, Virgil, costs us 25m/season in fee amortisation + wages. There is no way we are going to keep Salah for his final year for 72m, unless there is just absolutely no option at all. We either are convinced he will eventually sign a new deal or he'll be sold, that'd be my guess, at any rate.

Your point about the loss of continuity is well taken but if we really don't think he'll sign a new deal, then it's a huge risk to bring him back.

Opportunity cost isn’t a real cost though is it?
Otherwise you could just as easily say Virgil is currently costing us £100 million this year - his wages plus the fee that we could get from selling him.

10 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

The whole wage issue could easily be solved by giving him a huge signing on fee. It could/should have been solved a long time ago too. 

Klopp mentioned a few years ago about turning this club in to the 'Final destination' but how can we ever be the final destination if we aren't prepared to do keep the top players?

We're not a final destination and have no desire to be one. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure even £60m and getting someone like Saka in early would be worth losing Salah now. Mané leaving changes things immeasurably. We need some continuity, and to get Nunez firing.

Salah's going to have a full season, no AFCON or World Cup, so a nice midwinter break, and be fired up playing for his big move. We saw what that did for 13/14 Suarez.

• Upvote 4

I’m fine with losing players because we have a financial structure in place that only allows them to be paid a certain level then getting their best years out of them at that level before selling them for a massive profit and rinse and repeat. Losing those players for free is fucking stupid though. 

42 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We're not a final destination and have no desire to be one. 

to be fair, is any english club a "final destination" for the super elite players? 

generally, the super elite arent english, so they're always want to go to warmer climates. You cant blame them either. 

4 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

to be fair, is any english club a "final destination" for the super elite players? 

generally, the super elite arent english, so they're always want to go to warmer climates. You cant blame them either. 

It has nothing to do with warm weather. Mane hasn't gone to Munich for the sunshine. We don't pay the wages of any type of final destination and have no desire to do so. As for other English clubs, both Manchester clubs have been or are. And frankly we're not any other English club, I don't think we should be measuring ourselves against no mark clubs. The club claims to want to be a final destination club, but actions speak far louder than words. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

It has nothing to do with warm weather. Mane hasn't gone to Munich for the sunshine. We don't pay the wages of any type of final destination and have no desire to do so. As for other English clubs, both Manchester clubs have been or are. And frankly we're not any other English club, I don't think we should be measuring ourselves against no mark clubs. The club claims to want to be a final destination club, but actions speak far louder than words. 

Thiago was that kind of signing though. 

29 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

if paying a player a half a million a week, leads us down the same road that Barcelona are currently on, then i for one, would not be happy with that. 

its not sustainable, unless you're being bankrolled by a sovereign state. and we're not

12 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

This is not a valid reasoning. Strikers almost always get paid more, goals win games. Messi was the top earner at Barcelona even when he was playing with Pique, Buskers, Xavi, Iniesta. Ronaldo at Madrid and I think only towards the very end of his Madrid career Ramos got close to Ronaldo but still didn't overtake him I believe. 

FSG's tight wage structure is good from the clubs perspective but it won't keep world class strikers like Salah. Or get new ones like Mbappe.

Buskers was a joy to listen to.

21 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

I honestly believe that Salah will end up at City.

He wants money and they will pay it and he’ll probably get a big signing on fee, I don’t think he cares that it’s them he just wants a big pay day.

I just can't see it. Some players you can tell would walk to a rival for money or ambition and just shrug it off. I don't think Salah has that level of cold detached mindset in him, despite what his agent's leaking.

Players usually make those moves earlier in their careers. To do so at 31 would be to piss on any legacy he has here for the sake of a couple of years and a payday. I don't think he has the cojones to pull off such a "fuck you" move and be instantly hated.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

What kind of signing? A final destination you mean? 

Thiago and Mane are obviously comparable. Both top players, 30 years old, fancied a change of scene. One went from Munich to us, the other from us to Munich.

Either probably could have valued more money and pushed for an oil club but they preferred to go for a team they fancied playing for who will be challenging for the big trophies. Although both obviously didn’t come cheap.

”Final Destination” is a weird way of putting it, but obviously FSG have a strategy. They don’t want to pay absolutely top whack in wages, they don’t commit too much to players pushing 30 or too much for young players who aren’t proven.

There’s probably only Real Madrid out of the non-oil clubs who are more of a draw than us at the moment I would say.

If Barcelona and Man Utd got their act together then they have both shown more willing to splash the cash, but they are both basket cases.

• Upvote 1