You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

9 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Well, generally rich people like getting richer. And football is also an unusual case because it is a short career and you can only maximize earnings when the going is good.

I know if most of us were in his shoes, we certainly won't be looking for a wage cut after winning a 3rd golden boot and multiple player of the year awards in 2022. The club owners are extremely rich people who also strive to make 10x their purchase price of Liverpool, so I won't begrudge a player wanting a slice of that action.

I havent heard of him getting a wage cut? I thought he was offered more,but just not as much as he has asked for? I mean,I am lucky enough in that I don't go to the match but those who do will have to part finance payment increases in some way or another. There has to be a limit to wages,but nobody is preventing him getting more sponsorship deals.

I think it’s been obvious for a while that he isn’t signing. He’ll give everything to win trophies next season as we all know and will be rightly recognised as one of the greats. 
What I’m more interested in is how Jurgen and his staff evolve the side over the season and future seasons. 
I’ve no doubt that the boss and his team have already started the process of recruiting Salahs replacement.

Actually quite exciting to bring younger players in who will hopefully help us push on to further glory. 

54 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Same thing being reported by everyone today - "We have done everything to extend his contract but now we give up. Salah is too professional to down tools".

So.....there are roughly 12 months before we start calling him a cunt.....

I hope klopp comes out and says this when we're back and puts it to bed. And Salah comes out and says he won't talk about where he's going till the season is over as he's concentrated on us. I can't be doing with the nonsense we've had before with Can and Gini where all season we're pretending there might be a resolution as the speculation around Salah will be 100 fold. Just rip the plaster off now and get on with the season. 

• Upvote 2

If he runs down his contract, so be it. I don't think he's got the stones to walk to one of our domestic rivals.

My worry is he'll be playing for a big money move; on the one hand that's great, as it means he's motivated. On the other though, when Salah is overly desperate for goals he makes bad decisions.

I don't want to watch a season of him trying to get everything onto his left foot, and blasting it into a defender's shins looking for the top corner, when Nunez is staring at a tap in.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

If he runs down his contract, so be it. I don't think he's got the stones to walk to one of our domestic rivals.

My worry is he'll be playing for a big money move; on the one hand that's great, as it means he's motivated. On the other though, when Salah is overly desperate for goals he makes bad decisions.

I don't want to watch a season of him trying to get everything onto his left foot, and blasting it into a defender's shins looking for the top corner, when Nunez is staring at a tap in.

Ahh yes greedy Mo who had more assists in the league than other player.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Think we should try our best to sell him this window, I don't want someone running down their contract. We rely on dressing room unity.

I’ve thought this. Rip the band aid off.

I don’t think we’ll have the money to adequately replace him and / or we’ll look to move him and Mane on in the same window.

Kaide Gordon will almost be 19 by the time Salah leaves. I do wonder if we think he’s a natural replacement. Again, with the 5 sub rule, he should be able to get on the pitch more this season.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I hope klopp comes out and says this when we're back and puts it to bed. And Salah comes out and says he won't talk about where he's going till the season is over as he's concentrated on us. I can't be doing with the nonsense we've had before with Can and Gini where all season we're pretending there might be a resolution as the speculation around Salah will be 100 fold. Just rip the plaster off now and get on with the season. 

I agree and wish that happens but it won't. Klopp won't say Salah is definitely going. Salah won't say it either. The press will keep this news on headlines before every big game this season. There will be lots of "Salah wants to go back to Chelsea, Salah prefers Arsenal revolution, Salah won't mind joining City, shocking news United want to sign Salah, Saudi wants Salah".....crap time and time again. Everytime there is a lack of news Salah will be filling in for the papers.

• Upvote 2

I Like Redmond, often wondered whether he’d have been improved in a better team with better coaching, similarly Ward-Prowse.
Ultimately though, we haven’t made any noises towards either of them and so the talent team mustn’t see enough to think they’d do us.

As for Mo, I’ve said elsewhere that unless he has a blinding season, above any reproach, the media and others will slaughter him, it could end acrimoniously which, given all he’s achieved would be a sad conclusion to his time with us.

He could always sign a new contract mind.

Salah is in the discussion when it comes to who is the best of our greats of the modern era.

But, while I wouldn’t have dreamt of saying this 12 months ago or maybe even 6 months ago, I’d consider selling him over the summer if the rumours over the breakdown in contract discussions is true. Which most people think it is. 

He’s been an amazing player for us. Even this season, his numbers have been great. But, he’s seemed to have picked up a few more injuries than normal this season. And, his form has been very patchy for the past few months. Although, he could probably do with a rest. 

If he does want out and more money than we can offer, it’s better for us to get some cash out of the situation. Plus, if we sell rather than let him run down his contract, then we have a small degree of power in deciding who he goes too. We could do our bit to try and steer him in the direction of Paris or Madrid. 

I’m usually quite mellow about players leaving us now. A decreasing level of loyalty is part of the game now, particularly when it comes to players with no bonding links to the club. But, if he did go to City on a free, then that would smart a bit, to be honest. We should do whatever we can to try and avoid that happening. 

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Was there really much nonsense with Gini or Can? I don't recall an awful lot in the way of bad headlines or briefing in the press. Also no signs of either slacking off performance wise*. Gini had a little dig after he left, nothing to damaging and he was out the door anyway.

* I can't remember back as far as Can's final season so I may be wrong here.

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Think we should try our best to sell him this window, I don't want someone running down their contract. We rely on dressing room unity.

I don't see him going when he can use the free to put money in his pocket. 

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Free transfers next summer…

Sign Sterling and Rashford for free for shits and giggles.

41BA3F5C-694B-4A27-8EC3-5CF61F06C4F7.png

Or Nathan Redmond. Guardiola thinks he’s the best player in history. 

Isn't sterling signing for Chelsea? 

1 hour ago, coachpotato said:

I Like Redmond, often wondered whether he’d have been improved in a better team with better coaching, similarly Ward-Prowse.
Ultimately though, we haven’t made any noises towards either of them and so the talent team mustn’t see enough to think they’d do us.

As for Mo, I’ve said elsewhere that unless he has a blinding season, above any reproach, the media and others will slaughter him, it could end acrimoniously which, given all he’s achieved would be a sad conclusion to his time with us.

He could always sign a new contract mind.

Honestly, aside from a purple patch about 3 or 4 years ago, I don't recall Redmond doing a thing. 

8 minutes ago, No2 said:

Was there really much nonsense with Gini or Can? I don't recall an awful lot in the way of bad headlines or briefing in the press. Also no signs of either slacking off performance wise*. Gini had a little dig after he left, nothing to damaging and he was out the door anyway.

* I can't remember back as far as Can's final season so I may be wrong here.

Gini there was loads of will he won't he. Countless press conferences dedicated to was klopp happy with the situation and klopp getting pissed off with it all. As for Can it was clear pretty early on he was going to Juve and he just downed tools and then saw the season out with an "injury" which miraculously cleared up for the CL final. 

There's no possible way we should sell him and face the prospect of having to replace him and Mane in the same window. 

We'd feel better and less embarrassed selling him this summer, as we proceed to finish 5th. 

If he doesn't sign, just milk his last year for all its worth, grit your teeth through his and his agent's incessant nonsense, and say goodbye next summer.